Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > California Schools

California Schools Topics And Information Relating To California Schools

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 PM

Default 86 Teens Pregnant at One Memphis High School

I found both these articles interesting. They both deal with being politically correct and trying to disguise the truth.

The first article deals with teen pregnancies. I looked up the stats for the school in question and found that the school is 98% Black, 1% White and 1% other. Yet, the article shows two different picture of a pregnant girl who is White. Had the rolls been reverse and the school 98% White with an article showing two Black pregnant girls there would be an uproar.

The second article is about a woman who suggests that birth control would help with our over crowded schools, which is spot on. But she had to apologies for speaking the truth.

It seems that everything said nowadays is "Hate" or what ever will shut up the truth because it might hurt someones feelings.

You can not make something better until you acknowledge there's something wrong, and with political correctness nothing gets addressed.

86 Teens Pregnant at One Memphis High School
Published January 14, 2011
| FoxNews.com
A new campaign to prevent teen pregnancies has been launched in Memphis in response to a huge spike in expectant mothers at one area high school.
According to recent statistics, 86 students at Frayser High School are pregnant or have given birth in the last year, myfoxmemphis.com reported.
The new campaign – called “No Baby!” – is designed to educate both teenage girls and boys about how to prevent and deal with unplanned pregnancies. The program is also tailored to give girls the confidence to “just say no” to sex.
"Right now, these girls don't know how to say ‘no,’ they're having sex when they don't want to, they just don't know how to say ‘no,’" Deborah Hester Harrison with Girls Inc., which is a nonprofit group, told the news station.
Another concern for these young mothers is the lack of prenatal care.
“A lot of these girls aren't developmentally ready to be really effective parents, and that affects the child's development,” Marc Goodman-Bryan with the Urban Child Institute said.
Dr. Manny Alvarez, senior managing health editor of FoxNews.com and Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Science at Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey agrees and said those issues are just the beginning.
“Teen pregnancies are high risk. For some of these girls, the risk factors include premature delivery, pregnancy-induced hypertension and many times, you have a higher incidence of Caesarean sections due to cephalopelvic disproportion, which happens when a the fetus is too large to fit through the pelvis.”
Last month, U.S. health officials released new government figures for 2009 showing 39 births per 1,000 girls, ages 15 through 19 — the lowest rate since records have been kept on this issue Yet, the sobering context is that the teen pregnancy rate is far lower in many other countries.
The most convincing explanation is that contraceptive use is much higher among teens in most Western European countries.
Harrison said the teen pregnancy rate for Memphis fluctuates between 15 and 20 percent, which is almost twice the national average.
In the school’s zip code – the pregnancy rate is about 26 percent.
"We're looking at ways to combat it, and we're trying to combat it in the area where the need is the greatest," Harrison said.
In addition to the “No Baby!” campaign, Memphis school officials are also looking at ways to combat this problem by hiring new social workers, putting new programs in place, as well as providing support for teenage moms.
“It’s upsetting that we continue to see the rates of teen pregnancy ticking up in certain areas,” Alvarez said. “I think we really need to focus on education – that’s really the key.”
Click here to read more from myfoxmemphis.com.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/0...#ixzz1B4vVXu8u

School Level High school Grades Offered Grades 8 - 12 County Shelby County, TN Students & Faculty Total Students 978 students % Male / % Female 48% / 52% Total Classroom Teachers 49 teachers Students by Grade
Grade 8 - 4 students
Grade 9 - 289 students
Grade 10 - 270 students
Grade 11 - 261 students
Grade 12 - 148 students
Grade Not Listed - 6 students
This School (TN) School Average
Teacher : Student Ratio 1:20 1:16
Students by Ethnicity
% American Indian - -
% Asian - 1%
% Hispanic - 3%
Black 98% 24%
White 1% 66%
Unknown 1% 1%
Additional Student Information
% Eligible for Free Lunch 95% 33%
% Eligible for Reduced Lunch 5% 7%
% Migrant Students Enrolled - -
School Performance:
(TN) Statewide Testing Performance
School Statewide Performance View Education Department Test Scores

School District: School District Name Memphis City School District
This School's Agency (TN) District Average
Number of Schools Managed 188 7
Number of Students Managed 115,187 students 3,399 students
District Total Revenue $1,067,335,000 $25,888,000
District Expenditure $1,077,655,000 $27,006,000
District Revenue / Student $9,266 $7,616
District Expenditure / Student $9,356 $7,945
District Graduation Rates 91% 97%

NYC Schools Chancellor Regrets Birth Control Joke
Published January 14, 2011
| FoxNews.com
A spokeswoman says New York City Schools Chancellor Cathie Black was making a joke when she suggested overcrowded schools could be solved with birth control.
"Could we just have some birth control?" The New York Post reported Black said during a task force meeting on school overcrowding Thursday.
Upon hearing estimates that Lower Manhattan would need an additional 1,000 elementary seats by 2015, Black said birth control "would really help us."
Her spokeswoman, Natalie Ravitz, says Black takes the problem of school overcrowding seriously. She says Black regrets that her "off-handed joke" left a different impression.
After the meeting, Black also told a parent that the budget cuts she had to make were like trying to choose which child should be killed.
“I don’t mean this in any flip way. It is many Sophie’s choices,” The New York Post reported Black said. It was a reference to the book in which a mother in a Nazi death camp has to decide which of her children will live, the newspaper explained.
Black is a former executive at Hearst Magazines and USA Today. Mayor Michael Bloomberg angered some parents by selecting Black for the post since she had no public school or teaching experience.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/14...#ixzz1B4w3aIZr
Old 01-15-2011, 06:03 AM

There are many reasons for the high teen pregnancy. In an over all and broad statement, it is moral decay in all our population.
Look at the trash we see on TV these days. Sports and the entertainment are the worst example. I look at those Laker girls calendar and wonder how they can parade in front of a camera with barely 3 inch patches of clothes. Even the news women wear clothes almost revealing the navel. Ever watch those soaps with all the absolute trash they protray?

Let us not forget the parents who live with the boy/girl friend. Quite an example for the kids.

This is too complex for a simple answer except to say moral decay.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:36 AM
bobreason12

OMG. I can count on one hand how many kids were pregnant in my school when I was a teenager. This is ridiculous.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:19 AM

Kids with parents who had them for no good reason grow up to have kids for no good reason. Nobody should be suprised or shocked or look any further. Birth control is what is suggested and sterilization would be the preferable method.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Last time my two teenagers were at the doctor, I mentioned that one had a cycle that was irregular. In front of her, he told me that she should be put on birth control! What!? I was lived and got angry. This happens to many girls and birth control shouldn't be the option! He might as well have told her to go and have sex, she will be protected. He also should have told me in private.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Army Mom View Post
Last time my two teenagers were at the doctor, I mentioned that one had a cycle that was irregular. In front of her, he told me that she should be put on birth control! What!? I was lived and got angry. This happens to many girls and birth control shouldn't be the option! He might as well have told her to go and have sex, she will be protected. He also should have told me in private.
That's really weird. Why would an irregular menstrual cycle suggest using birth control? Maybe he thought that bringing up an "irregual" menstrual cycle was code for asking about birth control. When a woman sees a delay in her menstrual cycle, she might wonder if she is pregnant, but only if she had been having sex. She might not even notice if her cycle was irregular otherwise.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
That's really weird. Why would an irregular menstrual cycle suggest using birth control? Maybe he thought that bringing up an "irregual" menstrual cycle was code for asking about birth control. When a woman sees a delay in her menstrual cycle, she might wonder if she is pregnant, but only if she had been having sex. She might not even notice if her cycle was irregular otherwise.
The pills are given to any woman/female/girl who is experiencing a problem with her cycle not being what she normally experiences. This is to her benefit to know when to where a white dress or pants and not be embarrassed with something most woman have experienced at least once in their lives. You men have your problems too. This suggestion by the doctor was what any doctor would ask. If it was explained to them correctly, no one should have had a problem with it. All it was, was to get the girl on her regular cycle, then she could quit taking them. That's all.