Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > The Economy

The Economy Topics and information relating to the economy affecting SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 08-20-2011, 08:51 PM

Default Are the Poor Really Poor?

Are the Poor Really Poor?
More than 30 million Americans are living in "poverty," according to the U.S. Census Bureau. That’s one out of every seven people. But what does it really mean to be "poor" in America?
A Heritage Foundation report by Robert Rector and Rachel Sheffield finds there is more here than initially meets the eye.
To most Americans, the word "poverty" implies significant material deprivation, including inadequate food, clothing and shelter. The actual living conditions of America's poor are very different, however. According to the government's own survey data, in 2005:
• The average household defined as poor lived in a house or apartment equipped with air conditioning and cable TV.
• The family had a car (a third of the poor have two or more cars).
• For entertainment, the household had two color televisions, a DVD player and a VCR.
• If there were children in the home (especially boys), the family had a game system, such as an Xbox or PlayStation.
• In the kitchen, the household had a microwave, refrigerator, and an oven and stove.
• Other household conveniences included a clothes washer, clothes dryer, ceiling fans, a cordless phone and a coffeemaker.
The home of the average poor family was in good repair and not overcrowded. In fact, the typical poor American had more living space than the average (non-poor) European, the Heritage scholars note. The poor family was able to obtain medical care when needed. When asked, most poor families stated they had had sufficient funds during the past year to meet all essential needs.
Does that mean it’s game, set, match. Case closed? Well not quite. Liberal blogger Matt Yglesias says the Heritage report leaves out three things: housing, education and health care.
Over the past 50 years, televisions have gotten a lot cheaper… Consequently, even a low-income person can reliably obtain a level of television-based entertainment that would blow the mind of a millionaire from 1961. At the same time, if you’re looking to live in a safe neighborhood with good public schools in a metropolitan area with decent job opportunities you’re going to find that this is quite expensive. Health care has become incredibly expensive.
But what do these three sectors have in common that’s missing from the market for television sets and video games? Government. I’ll save health care for another occasion, and consider the other two.
Does anyone doubt that government totally dominates education, shaping and molding every facet of it? We are all forced to pay for the public system, even if we don’t use its services. And even though the public schools may work tolerably in well-to-do suburbs, they are generally miserable in neighborhoods where most poor people reside.
That brings us to housing. For one thing, the real estate market is highly regulated. So much so that many poor people have been priced out of the private marketplace and must rely on public housing instead. More importantly, the way the government runs the school system, the housing market is really a surrogate market for public education.
A study of north Dallas schools found that housing prices varied in lock step with independent measures of school quality. Another study compared housing prices in Highland Park, a ritzy Dallas enclave with its own school system, except for one tiny area that spills over into the Dallas Independent School District. Along a Highland Park street that divides the two school systems, there is no visible difference in the appearance of the houses. But the average difference in price was $72,000. That’s what it costs to go to a Highland Park school rather than an inner city school.
Remember this price differential is not created by the real estate market. It reflects the relative value of two government school systems. “Tragically,” Yglesias writes, “many Americans can’t afford a house in a safe neighborhood with a decent school that’s within a convenient commute of the central business district of a major city.”
True enough, but whose fault is that? Don’t blame it on capitalism.
http://townhall.com/columnists/johnc...oor/page/full/
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 AM

They are better off then many of us.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 AM

I have a friend who is rehabing a duplex in the Palm Springs area and I hvae spent some time out there with my friend. This duplex was purchased from a foreclosing bank and was almost destroyed inside by the Mexican families who occupied it. It basically had to be re-built.

All of the building tradesmen in that area are Mexicans, many who can barely speak English. You can't find anything else in that area except people who are not even legally in the country. A (Hispanic) real estate agent was looking over the place and one of the Mexican workers asked him how to buy a house, when the Mexican worker didn't have a valid Social Security number...but did have more than $50 thousand in cash? He also was driving a new pick up truck. [How many Americans do you know with $50 grand in cash and a new car?] The agent said no problem that he could find private lenders who would help this illegal buy a house. So called "American" (Hispanic) professionals in the real estate and other professions are willing accomplices to ID theft and tax fraud. They not only steal our jobs, but get all kinds of public, tax funded benefits that we have to pay for, even as they use multiple Social Security numbers to spread around their income and avoid taxes.

There you have it. Teeming hordes of illegal aliens come here and prosper by committing ID theft and tax evasion while they steal jobs from Americans who play by the rules. I noticed that all these "poor" Mexican laborers had relatively new pick up trucks and lots of cash.

Americans are being ethnically cleansed from their own country by a huge criminal class made of of people of a certain ethnicity who network together and help each other commit crimes against all the rest of us.

Last edited by Don; 08-21-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I have a friend who is rehabing a duplex in the Palm Springs area and I hvae spent some time out there with my friend. This duplex was purchased from a foreclosing bank and was almost destroyed inside by the Mexican families who occupied it. It basically had to be re-built.

All of the building tradesmen in that area are Mexicans, many who can barely speak English. You can't find anything else in that area except people who are not even legally in the country. A (Hispanic) real estate agent was looking over the place and one of the Mexican workers asked him how to buy a house, when the Mexican worker didn't have a valid Social Security number...but did have more than $50 thousand in cash? He also was driving a new pick up truck. [How many Americans do you know with $50 grand in cash and a new car?] The agent said no problem that he could find private lenders who would help this illegal buy a house. So called "American" (Hispanic) professionals in the real estate and other professions are willing accomplices to ID theft and tax fraud. They not only steal our jobs, but get all kinds of public, tax funded benefits that we have to pay for, even as they use multiple Social Security numbers to spread around their income and avoid taxes.

There you have it. Teeming hordes of illegal aliens come here and prosper by committing ID theft and tax evasion while they steal jobs from Americans who play by the rules. I noticed that all these "poor" Mexican laborers had relatively new pick up trucks and lots of cash.

Americans are being ethnically cleansed from their own country by a huge criminal class made of of people of a certain ethnicity who network together and help each other commit crimes against all the rest of us.
Don, you nailed it. Hopefully people will wake up to the fact that these so called "poor" are far from it. Mexico is NOT A POOR COUNTRY; I've said this for years. These people come here to get what they can, but the fact is that most are far from poor. They pay thousands to get smuggled here and have been buying homes here while buying or building another home in Mexico. Most have late model cars and trucks, cell phones and most modern conveniences. They come here for "better" jobs, but in the process take those "better" jobs from our own citizens and then suppress the wages to the point where they are today.

All those who did nothing to try to stop this in the past, you have nothing but yourself to blame. All those excuses of being too busy to participate in fighting back, well if you're out of a job now, maybe fighting back was a lot more important than you realized.

Just go to a heavily Hispanic area between 5:45am and 8:00am; watch them leave for work, leaving the streets empty of cars and trucks. It is just amazing how many are still working. Then between 4:30 and 6:00pm you'll watch them return and there's no place left to park because of the packed houses/apts. I watch is every weekday.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:01 PM

In high school, the shoes they wear are the expensive ones, most of the parents have the huge cars or vans that fit 8 to ten people and are waxed so good. It makes me sick, angry, and there are times when my girls have to hold me down.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
Don, you nailed it. Hopefully people will wake up to the fact that these so called "poor" are far from it. Mexico is NOT A POOR COUNTRY; I've said this for years. These people come here to get what they can, but the fact is that most are far from poor. They pay thousands to get smuggled here and have been buying homes here while buying or building another home in Mexico. Most have late model cars and trucks, cell phones and most modern conveniences. They come here for "better" jobs, but in the process take those "better" jobs from our own citizens and then suppress the wages to the point where they are today.

All those who did nothing to try to stop this in the past, you have nothing but yourself to blame. All those excuses of being too busy to participate in fighting back, well if you're out of a job now, maybe fighting back was a lot more important than you realized.

Just go to a heavily Hispanic area between 5:45am and 8:00am; watch them leave for work, leaving the streets empty of cars and trucks. It is just amazing how many are still working. Then between 4:30 and 6:00pm you'll watch them return and there's no place left to park because of the packed houses/apts. I watch is every weekday.
It's not just those from Latin America.

It seems there are quite a number of Iraqi Chaldeans in El Cajon who pack plenty of Benjamins behind the food stamps.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
It's not just those from Latin America.

It seems there are quite a number of Iraqi Chaldeans in El Cajon who pack plenty of Benjamins behind the food stamps.
Those I see on a daily basis are all from south of the border, so I can only speak from what I actually see myself. They stand in the food line at the Catholic Church and all have cell phones, late model cars/pickups/vans, are nicely dressed including the kids and only speak Spanish when the talk to each other. I say this from first hand observation.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
Those I see on a daily basis are all from south of the border, so I can only speak from what I actually see myself. They stand in the food line at the Catholic Church and all have cell phones, late model cars/pickups/vans, are nicely dressed including the kids and only speak Spanish when the talk to each other. I say this from first hand observation.
I don't disagree.

I have seen the same, and I've seen low income and real poverty among American citizens, including Hispanics.

The low income and poverty I've seen among Americans doesn't involve late model vehicles or fashion dress, might not have a car at all and everything else obtained from food to clothing is either scrounged or hard shopped from sales and second hand sources. I believe beaters in the long run cost more than new vehicles, but no credit and no cash means no wheels.

It seems nearly everyone has a cell phone nowadays, with basic pre-paid service models as low as $15.00 each at at least one of the big box stores. The latest hand held wireless internet computer / entertainment center which has a minor function of making phone calls is a different matter altogether.

However, the people You have described above aren't the only group of evidently foreign born who do the same exact thing.

From wherever they come from, they need to go back - I don't care if it's Mexico, central America, the Dominican Republic, the continent of Africa, the Arab countries, European scumbags, or from any country in Asia.

If they are non producing scammers sucking the system dry, they need to go. And government employees who enable them to scam social services and toss out exclusive freebies to them need to become unemployed. They couldn't do it without collusion of local, county, state, and federal employees who make a living redistributing your wallet while serving an agenda. That includes your congressman and senator.

They come from EVERYWHERE. Mexicans are the most noticeable merely due to their numbers.

And while I'm pontificating from my stack of milk crates in my corner, I will add that Puerto Rico needs to be an independent nation making it's own way in the world - no more of the US propping up a Caribbean island of Latin American ingrates.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 08-30-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:51 AM

It's the true Americans who are without the neat stuff the illegal and moochers have! It infuriates me to no end!