Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 10-30-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PochoPatriot View Post
I don't think that genetics has anything to do with this issue. There are a number of Latinos, including myself, out in the world that are intelligent and had no language skill issues. The issue is very simply culture. The Latino culture does not appreciate education. They believe in hard physical work. There is a general disdain for people that do not engage in physical labor. There is also a general fear that their children will "forget their roots" disdaining the culture and becoming "Americanized."

All this talk about genetics really causes me concern because the Latinos are not stupid. All one has to do is look at the numbers of Latinos who have become successful. In those families we see one common thread, that is the valuing of education by the parents. These parents have abandoned the old mindsets and have insisted that their children take advantage of the opportunities that would never be afforded to them in Mexico or any other Central American banana republic. Immigrant parents who understand that the key to getting ahead in America is to get an education all have descendants who are not educated.

I see the current crop of children as no different than the first wave of non Anglo-Saxon immigrants that hit America in the late 1800s to early 1900s. Many of these children are bilingual. As were most Jewish, Irish, Italian, German, Russian, Swedes, Poles, Norwegians, etc. As are most of the Asian, African and Central Americans we have now. It is not genetics. They are not some inferior ethnicity, with which mass deportations is some sort of final solution. No, they are people. They are misguided people, but they are people.

The general rule that Latinos do not value education, is not an issue that is relegated to Latinos only. There are blacks that do not value education, and there are, I dare say, whites that do not value education. However, when an education is valued than you see the rise of a people group up from poverty and into the middle class.

This is not a genetic issue. It is a cultural issue, and that issue will not go away until the illegal invasion is stopped, and the immigrants we have now are assimilated into American culture.
The article did not point out just 'Latinos,' it stated specifically Mexican children. And we know that whole small semi isolated villages have migrated here. You're assuming they are speaking of all of Latin America, but they're not, at least that's the way I read it. Most of Mexico and beyond are a mix of Spanish, Portuguese and other European countries including the African Continent. But the small villages are not so mixed and have a much smaller gene pool makeup. The article states the finding found that economic status is not the defining cause. Just as some diseases are genetic to specific races or people, so may be intelligence. This in itself may be the scientific grounds for mixing of different races. I know mutt dogs are better than pure breeds. Why shouldn't people be the same. Genes are like the lotto, when you have the right combination, you win, even if the odds are against you. So out of so many there will often be a winner. The question is, how many right combinations there are available to how many in the pool.

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 10-30-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PochoPatriot View Post
I don't think that genetics has anything to do with this issue. There are a number of Latinos, including myself, out in the world that are intelligent and had no language skill issues. The issue is very simply culture. The Latino culture does not appreciate education. They believe in hard physical work. There is a general disdain for people that do not engage in physical labor. There is also a general fear that their children will "forget their roots" disdaining the culture and becoming "Americanized."

All this talk about genetics really causes me concern because the Latinos are not stupid. All one has to do is look at the numbers of Latinos who have become successful. In those families we see one common thread, that is the valuing of education by the parents. These parents have abandoned the old mindsets and have insisted that their children take advantage of the opportunities that would never be afforded to them in Mexico or any other Central American banana republic. Immigrant parents who understand that the key to getting ahead in America is to get an education all have descendants who are not educated.

I see the current crop of children as no different than the first wave of non Anglo-Saxon immigrants that hit America in the late 1800s to early 1900s. Many of these children are bilingual. As were most Jewish, Irish, Italian, German, Russian, Swedes, Poles, Norwegians, etc. As are most of the Asian, African and Central Americans we have now. It is not genetics. They are not some inferior ethnicity, with which mass deportations is some sort of final solution. No, they are people. They are misguided people, but they are people.

The general rule that Latinos do not value education, is not an issue that is relegated to Latinos only. There are blacks that do not value education, and there are, I dare say, whites that do not value education. However, when an education is valued than you see the rise of a people group up from poverty and into the middle class.

This is not a genetic issue. It is a cultural issue, and that issue will not go away until the illegal invasion is stopped, and the immigrants we have now are assimilated into American culture.
I don't think that every Latino family has damaged genes in this area but there are definitely a number out there.

Culture I agree is a factor but even there we have a good number of latinos around the world that excell in just about everything.

What do you mean by assimilating the immigrants already here? Are you talking about the illegal aliens that are here?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
I don't think that every Latino family has damaged genes in this area but there are definitely a number out there.

Culture I agree is a factor but even there we have a good number of latinos around the world that excell in just about everything.

What do you mean by assimilating the immigrants already here? Are you talking about the illegal aliens that are here?
When I speak of immigrants I am referring to legal immigrants. There is a huge problem with legal immigrants refusal to integrate in the dominant American culture.