Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > California Schools

California Schools Topics And Information Relating To California Schools

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 11-16-2009, 08:09 PM
SOS Associate

Default Governor Signs Executive Order On Early Education

http://gov.ca.gov/executive-order/13860/

EXECUTIVE ORDER S-23-09by theGovernor of the State of California

WHEREAS California’s leaders and residents recognize the value of high quality early learning experiences in preparing young children for success in school and life; and

WHEREAS early childhood development requires a comprehensive, coordinated approach to a child’s care and learning experiences; and

WHEREAS research has recognized that investment in comprehensive, high quality early education can yield enormous economic benefits for future generations and local communities; and

WHEREAS research has documented that investment in comprehensive, high quality early education can save money by preventing future expenditures on remedial education, incarceration, and cash assistance; and

WHEREAS the needs of California’s children are complex, and the network of services for California’s children are managed by a myriad of agencies, often with different goals and objectives; and

WHEREAS the federal Improving Head Start for School Readiness Act of 2007 (P.L. 110-134) requires the establishment of a State Advisory Council on Early Childhood Education and Care (State Advisory Council) in order to receive Head Start collaboration grants from the federal government; and

WHEREAS the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) included $100 million in Head Start ARRA funds to support the scope of work of the State Advisory Councils in each state; and

WHEREAS the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services, Kathleen Sebelius, sent a letter on May 11, 2009 to Governor Schwarzenegger reaffirming the Obama Administration’s commitment to early childhood education and care and affirming that California would be eligible to compete for up to $10.6 million for a three-year grant period to support the State Advisory Council; and

WHEREAS the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has announced that application for these funds must be made by August 1, 2010 and must be submitted by the State Advisory Council; and

WHEREAS the goals of the State Advisory Council, as established by federal law, are similar to the goals of the Early Learning Quality Improvement System (ELQIS) Advisory Committee, a committee established when I signed Senate Bill 1629 (Chapter 307, Statutes of 2008) and which is charged with developing a policy and implementation plan for California’s ELQIS; and

WHEREAS Education Code section 8300, subdivision (a) provides that the following 13 members shall sit on the ELQIS Advisory Committee:

Superintendent of Public Instruction (co-chair).
Secretary of Education (co-chair).
Senate President Pro Tempore (or designee).
Assembly Speaker (or designee).
A representative from the Department of Finance.
A representative from the Department of Social Services.
Chair of the California Commission on Children and Families (or designee).
Two appointees of the Governor.
Two representatives of local providers of early childhood education and development services appointed by the Senate Committee on Rules.
Two appointments by the Speaker of the Assembly -- one from the early childhood education community who has experience with English learners, and one who is a local educational agency kindergarten teacher; and

WHEREAS the membership of the ELQIS Advisory Committee overlaps in part with the requirements for the membership of a State Advisory Council imposed by federal law.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER, Governor of the State of California, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of California, do hereby order effective immediately:

1. The California State Advisory Council on Early Childhood Education and Care is hereby established. Membership on the council shall include the members of the ELQIS Committee. In addition to those thirteen members, I will appoint the following representatives to serve on the State Advisory Council:

The State Director of Head Start Collaboration.
One representative of institutions of higher education in the state.
One representative of the state educational agency, defined for federal purposes as the State Board of Education.
One representative of the state agency responsible for health or mental health care.
One representative of Head Start agencies located in the state, including migrant and seasonal and Indian Head Start programs.

2. The State Advisory Council will have three individuals, or their designees, serve as
co-chairs. The chairpersons will be:

Secretary of Education (or designee).
Superintendent of Public Instruction (or designee).
Chairperson of the California Children and Families Commission (or designee).

3. The State Advisory Council will perform the following duties:

Submit an application for ARRA Head Start funding on behalf of the State of California by August 1, 2010.
Develop and recommend a statewide plan for making maximum use of federal dollars, including federal Early Learning Challenge Grants.
Identify opportunities for collaboration and coordination among entities carrying out federally-funded, state-funded and locally-funded child development, child care, and early childhood education programs.
Make recommendations for increasing the overall participation of children in existing federal, state, and local child care and early childhood education programs, including outreach to underrepresented and special populations.
Make recommendations for establishing a unified data collection system for publicly funded programs offering early childhood education, development, and services.
Make recommendations for a statewide professional development and career plan for early childhood education and care.
Assess the capacity and effectiveness of two- and four-year public and private institutions of higher education toward supporting the development of early childhood educators.
Make recommendations for improvement in state early learning standards, as appropriate.

This Order is not intended to create, and does not create, any rights or benefits, whether substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity, against the State of California or its agencies, departments, entities, officers, employees, or any other person.

I FURTHER ORDER that, as soon as hereafter possible, this Order be filed in the Office of the Secretary of State and that widespread publicity and notice be given to this Order.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 9th day of November 2009.

ATTEST:

Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 PM

The Head Start program in Filmore is only available to the migrant farm workers, who are mostly illegal. I had a friend here in town about eight years ago who was a single father. He was an American Hispanic and tried to get his son in the Head Start Program. They refused to let his son in because he wasn't a migrant. It took a whole lot of yelling and screaming by my friend to get his son signed up. He couldn't believe that the illegals were being taken better care of than our own citizens. Many of the Hispanics here in Filmore detest the illegals being here.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
The Head Start program in Filmore is only available to the migrant farm workers, who are mostly illegal. I had a friend here in town about eight years ago who was a single father. He was an American Hispanic and tried to get his son in the Head Start Program. They refused to let his son in because he wasn't a migrant. It took a whole lot of yelling and screaming by my friend to get his son signed up. He couldn't believe that the illegals were being taken better care of than our own citizens. Many of the Hispanics here in Filmore detest the illegals being here.
Then why don't MORE of them get loud and more vocal about it to the media? In my opinion, too many of them sit back in the shadows and mumble about it, but don't really want to get involved because they're afraid of being called, "vendidos." They kinda play both sides of the fence so as not to draw any attention to themselves. JMHO. I live in an area heavily populated by American born Hispanics and they won't say a word against illegal immigration here and admit they're afraid to because of the backlash they'll get from Hispanic illegals and illegal alien supporters.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:18 PM

JB This is because of the brainwashing by our schools to accept 'diversity' at all costs and due to political correctness they're considered in the wrong to go against it. Many feel caught in the middle as my roommate does. She has friends who are married to illegals and family who are young that support the invasion. It is usually the older Hispanics that recognize the difference with regards to what type are coming across now and those that came 35 years ago. Those older Hispanics consider themselves Americans and want to be Americans first and foremost. But many, almost all, of them have younger relatives or friends who have married or are illegals themselves. This attitude of they belong here is what has been taught to our young for over 30 years now. These younger Hispanics actually believe that the illegals have a right to do what they're doing and they also believe that with the added numbers will draw them toward more power or entitlements. Which is true, having more number does create more power in many respects. But what they aren't considering because those who taught them these perspective never considered the financial impact and how much our resources would be strained.

I know I keep pounding about the schools and such, but this is where it started and continues to this day. I know that for allot of you it has been some time since you were in school and can't quite grasp what they are like today. They are nothing like what they were 35 or more years ago. You remember, at least I do, schools without fences around them. My high school didn't have a fence around it. Sure the physical education areas had fences to keep the baseballs and such inside. But the main school itself was open. I went to San Pedro High School an LA Unified School. We didn't have police on campus, or metal detectors at the entrances. It was a completely different atmosphere. We also didn't attack the staff or faculty.

That's all gone now. They have given the schools over to the students and empowered them with the sense of entitlement. They have taught them to disregard all of the old ideals and embrace the new openness of diversity. Gays and Lesbians are now considered main stream and actually admired for being gay, they're the coooooool people. It's now cool to be a minority, and white is out. You notice how the gang attire is now what they young are buying. The language is now what they use in the ghettos. Everyone is now called B!tches, and it is so cool to call them that. They're even putting this stuff on the tv shows and thought of as our popular culture.

These are students and young who have never really had to work hard and feel that everything they've grown up with will always be available and as easy to access as it has been all their lives. Because that is what they've been taught. We have a whole generation of socially ignorant young. Sure they know how to order a latte at Starbucks, but they haven't a clue as to what will happen when the well runs dry.

Our forefathers would have made sure there were safety mechanisms in place. These young just think they can go out and buy it at the store. Until things hit the bottom and everyone is forced to be honest about our future, you're going to see this attitude by many Hispanics as a mixed bunch, but basically the older Hispanics are so out numbered they don't feel safe to speak up and condemn the invasion. It's not the cool thing to do.

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 11-17-2009 at 03:22 PM.