Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Forum Rules, Functions, and Performance Section > Forum Rules Help and Answers

Forum Rules Help and Answers Ask questions about rules - Propose Rules and changes

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Default Forum Moderation Committee Members Wanted

SOS needs a committee of open minded, temperate people who will meet on the forum in a secluded area to administer forum rules. If you feel up to the challenge, please either post so in this thread, or post in the "contact the moderators" Section of the forum
Old 12-18-2009, 09:56 AM

Is there really enough activity at this site to suggest moderation by committee? It seems like any committee large enough to be worthy of the name would include everyone posting here. How many people do you want in this committee?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
Is there really enough activity at this site to suggest moderation by committee? It seems like any committee large enough to be worthy of the name would include everyone posting here. How many people do you want in this committee?
We are planning for growth here, and we want to build the structures for that now.
The committee can be as few as 4 and as many as 8
Old 12-18-2009, 07:22 PM

What is the job description of a "forum rules administrator"?

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
What is the job description of a "forum rules administrator"?
setting standards for moderation of posts, threads, and users.

discussing reported posts and deciding what actions, if any, to take on them.

weighing in on modifying, amending or otherwise changing the forum rules.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:34 PM

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents here.

I am an Admin on a board unrelated to this. I see new people all the time fretting about did they post in the right place, did they hijack a thread, etc. I could not really understand it since we have a very polite and considerate membership. Yes, we disagree but it is civil. Once in a while someone comes along that is more of a Wild West Internet type. They last a week or two, with a warning or two, then we just ban them. Problem over, the regulars are happy. The action/threads are there for all to see the problem.

Earlier this year, I joined a board related to yet a different interest and boy they are slapping people's hands left and right. It gets to where you are almost afraid to post. You shouldn't have quoted the above poster, or posted 2 in a row, and on and on. One regular told me his welcome post to a newbie had the greeting of "Howdy" and the post was removed because the admin thought it was not respectful.... Huh? That member stopped greeting newbies that day. I asked him, "What's wrong with Howdy? What else is a Texan supposed to say?"

Immigration can be an emotional subject of course, but it seems to me in the long run, a limited number of very firm rules, and the practice of sending troublemakers off the plank, works pretty well.

I do like the idea of a small group to reach a consensus. On my board there are only 2 admins. Sometimes I ask a few regulars for input but a private area to discuss and craft rules seems an excellent plan.

Oh, and I am not volunteering. I'm just sayin...
Old 08-30-2010, 05:41 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mea View Post
Oh, and I am not volunteering. I'm just sayin...
OK, if you ain't gonna help, you're banned

We haven't banned anyone here. We seldom even restrict anyone with the exception of the spam advertisers. Maybe we need a few more of those tempermental type posters so we can get practiced up on our banning skills
Old 08-31-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
SOS needs a committee of open minded, temperate people who will meet on the forum in a secluded area to administer forum rules. If you feel up to the challenge, please either post so in this thread, or post in the "contact the moderators" Section of the forum
I am up to the challenge, but I don't know if I meet the requirements, lol!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM

It's interesting that the previous post, from a spammer, showed up in a thread about asking for board administrators...and no one seemed to notice. The link in "melynda's" signature goes to a dating website.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantulas View Post
It's interesting that the previous post, from a spammer, showed up in a thread about asking for board administrators...and no one seemed to notice. The link in "melynda's" signature goes to a dating website.
Thanks for the heads up. Sometimes a few get past us.