Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > The Great Outdoors

The Great Outdoors Hunting, fishing, hiking, climbing, boating and other outdoor activities

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 05-18-2014, 09:17 PM
SOS Associate

Default Coupon Code Weekend

Coupon Code Weekend

almost a year ago, I wrote a quick little thread about the "Coupon Code". Basically that code says that if you go out and spend money somewhere, your wife or significant other expects you to honor the coupon code and check to see if there is a coupon first. Whether it be fast food, or just a trip to the grocery store, always honor the code, or face the stern looks for not doing so. The fair maiden here, is a coupon High-Priestess, so chances are good there is a coupon in possession for whatever craving you are having, or wherever you are going.

This weekend, she organized a coupon getaway; To lake Tahoe no less. A nearly half price beachfront hotel, with "buy-one, get-one-free" dinner on the pier, and two free breakfasts at the same. Then another "buy-1, get-1 free" dinner at a different place, also beach-front. She does a marvelous job saving coin, all the while squeezing them for the best they have to offer, including the complimentary bottle of wine.
Anyway, we stayed right on the ground floor, and within a popcorn kernel's toss from the water. Nice clean place with pool and free ice, as well as a fireplace that kept us warm and cozy in the night. The restaurants weren't black tie, but you'd never know it from the prices. We ate pretty well on coupons, and slept that way too. I think the trip cost us about $130.00 US per night, and we brought an ice chest full of home stuff for our lunches/snacks. We had one breakfast on sunday at Ihop that was not in that bundle, and sadly, we had no coupon for this time.

The restaurant was located at the beginning of this long pier, and what amazes me, California being home to a zillion and a half personal injury lawyers and all, is that this pier has no hand rails anywhere. Just a long drop to water not deep enough to even break your fall. How they keep inebriated patrons, kids, and elderly from wandering off the ends or sides is almost baffling in this day and age. The lake is low, so the pier has to be long to reach the deeper water. Until the very end, the water is quite shallow. (ankle deep to knee deep)

There was one minor setback, as a couple had catered their wedding on the beach that evening, only a few feet from our door, and their DJ music carried on for a couple hours after dark. We went for a walk on the beach to get away, and that seemed to cure it.

On the way there, we encountered very few people. This is the last weekend before the big one, so it was fairly quiet, with very nice weather. A little cool at night is all, but days were sunny warm with slight breezes. The fair maiden stumbled upon what looked like a quarter in the sand, but upon further inspection, it was one of those old tokens from Shell gas, where you got one with the American president's head for each fill-up of 8 gallons or more. I think they were issued back in the early 70's?

The fair maiden's silhouette in the setting sun:

A little farther and we came across a sizable group of youth hanging out. Youth, at this point in my life, is 16 - 24 year-old's. One girl had a hula-hoop, and two males had juggler's pins. They had built this little sand sculpture too. All just hanging out in the near dark, not spray painting graffiti or getting drunk. It was like we stumbled across some of Jesus's young disciples.

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 05-19-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:18 PM
SOS Associate

A zillion clamshells accumulated here for some unknown reason. Unknown to me anyway.

These supernatural looking clods were hovering over the area

The morning view from our back door

This one is for the cockroach, if she's still tuning in to SOS:
Chemtrails over lake Tahoe

The view of this mountain with the cloud hanging just at its; tip made it look like a volcano

Not much snow left already:

Old 05-18-2014, 09:19 PM
SOS Associate

The fair maiden has us on a hike the next day. It was like 9 miles round trip. It was on this journey I started to suffer a bit. I've been having a relapse of sorts lately. This hike made my weaknesses evident. I struggle on the many uphill portions of this tour. I braved it out though

Fool's Gold! Accumulating in a creek across the trail

This little bugger was fearless. He also ended up with a piece of my coconut, which must have accidently fallen. (it's not legal to feed the wildlife). He must have loved the taste, 'cause he headed right up near my pants leg begging for more until I waved him off.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:20 PM
SOS Associate

A pyramid in the works?

This was the most quaint little pass I've seen in recent memory. I nicknamed it "This Too, Shall Pass"

The views are spectacular

Someone carved up a perfectly good tree here. Was kinda cool looking though.

The bark on these trees resembles the skin on "The Thing" from the Fantastic Four. It's clobberin' time

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 05-19-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:21 PM
SOS Associate

Glacier leavin's

The remains of an old lighthouse from the 1920's

Old 05-18-2014, 09:21 PM
SOS Associate

The trail back

Sunday, after breakfast, the fair maiden had us on another hike, although this one promised to be a whole lot shorter. It was shorter, but certainly not easier. The fair maiden finally met her match, for after getting a belly full of ham 'n eggs, coupled with still being on the mend from the 9 mile'er yesterday, the steep and constant climb of today's hike left her wanting for the turnaround. It was a lot steeper, and it just kept going up...up...and up, on gravely, rocky terrain with a stiff cold wind blowing off Mount Tallac. It blew us around a little, but we got some views of Fallen Leaf lake as proof we were there:

All in all, it was a good getaway on the cheap. My muscles are a bit sore, and I was probably out of bounds with that long hike on Saturday with my health weakened and all, but you never know; any trip, vacation or whatever you want to call them, could be your last. Take it in while you can

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 05-19-2014 at 07:33 AM.