Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > The Great Outdoors

The Great Outdoors Hunting, fishing, hiking, climbing, boating and other outdoor activities

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM
SOS Associate

Forgot these too:

Our first real crop of Loquats. Last year we got about 1 dozen of them, because this tree's pretty young. It was planted some years ago when the in-laws gifted it to us. this year we got about 350 loquats. I always ate these as a kid, but liked them best before they were real ripe. Always liked a tangy bite to fruits. I did use some of these as spice for some salmon we ate this week.

Also, a bumper crop of lemons. I've been juicing them by the hundreds. Then strain the juice and pour it into one of those old ice trays with the long lever on the top. they make the biggest cubes. We been freezing up zip-lock baggies full and sticking them in the bottom of the freezer for summer and beyond. Also, my wife's been making lemonade.

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 05-23-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 PM
SOS Associate

Check out the size of these Radishes. Big ones!

also, strange coincidence, but this lemon grew on our tree and I found it during the eclipse last weekend. I call it eclipse lemon.

And here's pictures of the eclipse shadows refracting on our wall as we saw it just before I picked the lemon:

Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 AM
SOS Associate

Today I made chefs salad for dinner from the proceeds of our garden. Of course I had to supplement it with storebought stuff like ham, avocados, cheese, and such, but I've been buying our eggs from local backyard egg raisers. I highly recommend you search them out in you area too.

Anyway, today's victims in the plot are three different varieties of lettuce, radishes, and what's left of the broccoli.

These little thieves have been chewing the leaves of our radishes right down the ground. Have to chase them out of there daily

Also note that we added fresh picked loquats to the salad
Old 07-02-2012, 12:43 PM
SOS Associate

Default July update

The garden is in full swing right now. Carrots, corn, squash, garlic and tomatoes all providing weekly food. Also have been using the sweet basil for seasoning

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 07-02-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM
SOS Associate

Also filled up the new woodshed with free firewood from craigslist ads. My son bought a house close by also, and he's been getting about 1/3 of the wood I've collected

Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM
SOS Associate

Lotta stuff ripening up these days, and the garden has close to peaked it's internal boundaries.

Cherry Tomatoes

Zucchini Squash

Lots of sweet white corn

Strawberries

Old 07-22-2012, 09:49 PM
SOS Associate

Mrs Ayatollah picking carrots and squash

Tonights dinner in the raw. I made a chicken stew using all these ingredients from our garden, and added some leftover chicken from the day before. Also added sweet basil we grew, and potatoes that we didn't. The stew turned out rather excellent, and we froze up some for next week

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 07-22-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:13 AM
SOS Associate

Our rat problem had intensified this past week with the rats eating all of our tomatoes. We fought back with the old style spring loaded rat traps, and immediately took out 2 rats in one day. This morning we saw movement in the corn stalks, and spotted a rat eating our corn! I took a shot at him with a CO2 pellet revolver, but missed him. I've had to reset the traps now. Our Corn is sacred

The shot I took must have just slid by that little pest, from examination of the trajectory and the pellet which lodged in the fence a few inches away. I should examine the pellet for rat hairs