Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > California Schools

California Schools Topics And Information Relating To California Schools

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 AM

Default Obama’s Federal School Curriculum "Common Core Standards"

The Federal Government now has a big club to swing at states that don't comply to the one size fits all style of education. It's called the Common Core Standards. You may remember me mentioning it about 6 months ago, or maybe not, but it's comming to a school in your neighborhood and city. Pay attention to this, it is huge. In their quest to level the playing field the government wants all schools to preform the same, teach the same and our students will be their guinea pigs. This is another path to failure, paved by our great leaders.

Obama’s Federal School Curriculum
Mary Grabar, September 27, 2012
Three years after the Department of Education announced a contest called Race-to-the-Top for $4.35 billion in stimulus funds, some parents, teachers, governors, and citizen and public policy groups are coming to an awful realization about the likely outcomes:
• A national curriculum called Common Core;
• Regionalism, or the replacement of local governments by federally appointed bureaucrats;
• A leveling of all schools to one, low national standard, and a redistribution of education funds among school districts;
• An effective federal tracking of all students;
• The loss of the option of avoiding the national curriculum and tests through private school and home school.
Working behind the scenes, implementing these policies and writing the standards are associates from President Obama’s community organizing days. In de facto control of the education component is Linda Darling-Hammond, a radical left-wing educator and close colleague of William “Bill” Ayers, the former leader of the communist terrorist Weather Underground who became a professor of education and friend of Obama’s.
When these dangerous initiatives are implemented, there will be no escaping bad schools and a radical curriculum by moving to a good suburb, or by home schooling, or by enrolling your children in private schools.
How was it that 48 governors entered Race-to-the-Top without knowing outcomes?
It was one of the many “crises” exploited by the Obama administration. While the public was focused on a series of radical moves coming in rapid-fire succession, like the health care bill and proposed trials and imprisonment of 9/11 terrorists on domestic soil, governors, worried about keeping school doors open, signed on. Many politicians and pundits praised Obama on this singular issue, repeating the official rhetoric about raising standards.
It stands to reason, though, that education policies would be consistent with Obama’s agenda. After all, one of his most controversial associations, highlighted during the 2008 presidential campaign, was with an education professor, Bill Ayers. As a terrorist, he and his wife, Bernardine Dohrn, had dedicated their Prairie Fire Manifesto to Sirhan Sirhan, the convicted assassin of Robert F. Kennedy. It was for this reason that Kennedy’s son, Christopher Kennedy, chairman of the University of Illinois board of trustees, voted against bestowing “professor emeritus” status on Ayers after he retired. “I intend to vote against conferring the honorific title of our university whose body of work includes a book dedicated in part to the man who murdered my father, Robert F. Kennedy,” he said.
Mary Grabar, Ph.D., is founder of the Dissident Prof Education Project, Inc., which is committed to “resisting the re-education of America.” Sign up for “dispatches” at www.dissidentprof.com. Her other publications can be found at www.marygrabar.com and include Accuracy in Media, PJ Media, Weekly Standard, Minding the Campus, and many others. She teaches English at Emory University.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 PM

I spoke today with an older junior high teacher who, if I read her right, just can't wait 'til retirement. It's way that bad - she wants out.

From what I understand of what she said, implementation of the federal common core curriculum depends on whether the state can afford the program, she gave examples of other states which cannot afford it as well as implying that California can't.

Concerning the problems with educating kids, she hit a couple of different angles and might have done some waffling between the official line and what she truly thinks.

She made a statement about all the druggies who were parents, but also said that we need to close the border down to let the educational system catch up. She then contradicted herself by saying something about opening the border and educating them all (an impossible task, and hey, there was some alcohol and maybe some previously professionally inflicted far left guilt involved in the discussion).

If I got her right, she said that 47% of San Bernardino county (the largest county in the country) parents of school age children do not have high school diplomas, the figure for Riverside county is 38%. The idea that I got was that the mix of uneducated, druggy and south of the border parents all across the demographic divide are the the main contributory problem of kids not getting educated.

She agreed with me from the outset that throwing more money at the educational system is not going to fix the problem.

I asked her what could fix the problem, she said nothing, it can't be fixed.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 09-28-2012 at 08:09 PM.