Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Elections, Politics, and Partisanship

Elections, Politics, and Partisanship Topics relating to politics, elections, or party affiliations of interests to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
SOS Associate

Default Officially Leaving The Libertarian Party And Joining Republicans

I've been keeping a low profile as far as my party of affiliation while I'm within this group, mainly because I thought that it was not something that should be of anyone's interest here. It probably shouldn't be in the future either, but I thought it would be fair to make my intentions known.

I've been a libertarian party member for many years, but don't believe in much of their platform. I've also not been very instrumental in affecting it. Most of my attempts to make a difference were either ignored or rejected. In addition, the recent changes in election law here in California have diminshed any real hope of a third party having any influence on the California legislative branch. So it makes no sense to stay a Libertarian, or join another third party

This, of course, leaves two parties to choose from. I thought about joining the dems and just being a DINO. Think of the prospects of working within the party to make changes. But alas! I have no respect at all for thier philosophies, and even less with their scruples. That, of course, leaves the Republicans. I've spent quite a bit of time feeling betrayed by some of these RINO's, and the party's blind adherance to keeping them supported. I did not feel I could make a difference there either, because the heirarchy is stubborn and dismissive. This election has offered some hope that the party may have been weakened enough that a piss ant like myself can actually make a small difference within the party itself. Let's face it; they need friends. The democrats don't. The third parties can't use them for anything more than the equivilent to cell mates in california politics, and decline to state CANNOT have an effect on policy of party. So Republican was my only option, and I've already scheduled to be at the next meeting, which fortunately is within walking distance of home. I am going to try this out and see. I don't expect miracles, but in contrast, the party needs some. Right now they have suffered a sound beating here in California, and they are perched on the edge of the immigration abyss with mainly democrats and RINO's coaching them to jump. I'd like to be on the suicide prevention team. Likewise, I think they will need some of my input to keep them from becoming a distinction without a difference to the Democrats.

I don't see this as affecting my work here that much, as anyone that knows me must realize I don't give in to pressure just for the sake of keeping up public face. The whole nightingale fiasco should be evidence of that. Everyone is allowed an opinion, and you won't find me trying to censor the views of other party members. Likewise, the agenda here still reigns supreme.

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 11-12-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM

I'm glad that you made the switch. My only advice is let the Republicans that you meet at the meetings know that your vote won't be purchased cheap. Let them know your price and let them know that it is non negotiable.

I think we are learning that when just a small percentage of Conservatives stay home on election day, Republicans loose. Example: Meg Whitman and Romney.

Let the Republican hierarchy know your support will not bought cheaply.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 AM

I don't know if your party switch will help any thing however, lt is good to see some one realize that something else could be better.
Only thing for me is, been there, done that.
I don't think any one approves of every thing a Party does but a person must be registered to vote.
Think I will just sit here and wait.

I know some one who worked at the polls this year. She said they had one young woman announce to them, "I am not registered but I want to vote". A man came in wearing a T shirt with a canditates name on it, he had to remove it. A woman came in with some thing on her clothing and she had to cover it. All that clothing bit was called electioneering.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:58 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
I don't think any one approves of every thing a Party does but a person must be registered to vote.
Think I will just sit here and wait..
The vote is, unfortunately, an after-the-fact option. If you get active within a party, you have some chance of affecting who people CAN vote for. As a voter you only get to pick from the choices others offer you.