Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Municipalities

Municipalities Issues and information relating to cities and counties within California that are of interest to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Default Immigrants rights group hands City Council formal complaint letter over Kellar’s comm

Shouting match
Immigrants rights group hands City Council formal complaint letter over Kellar’s comments
By Jonathan Randles
Signal Staff Writer
jrandles@the-signal.com
661-259-1234 x519
UPDATED Feb. 9, 2010 9:09 p.m.
http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/24436/

Members of the Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition are putting pressure on Santa Clarita Councilman Bob Kellar to apologize for comments he made at an illegal immigration rally in January.

Coalition members handed a formal complaint letter to Santa Clarita's City Council at Tuesday night's meeting, outlining which parts of the city's code of ethics they think Kellar violated when he delivered his speech last month.

Kellar responded the same way he did when others, including Republican Congressman Howard "Buck" McKeon, called on him to say sorry.

"You apologize when you've done something wrong," Kellar said minutes before the meeting began.

During Kellar's speech last month, he said the United States should have one flag and one language and if people thought he was racist for believing in America, then "I'm a proud racist. You're darn right I am."

Event organizers posted the speech on YouTube, leading to an uproar that has drawn national attention. The same groups have announced plans to hold another similar rally this month in Santa Clarita. Kellar said he would attend, but does not intend to speak again.

"As a civic leader, he has led this city in the wrong direction," coalition member Robert Gittelson said.

"We have given him as much time as we can to apologize. We feel the city just swept this under the rug and that's unacceptable."

The coalition has also filed complaints with the Human Rights Commission in Los Angeles, the U.S. Department of Justice and California Attorney General's civil rights office, said coalition member Juan Jose Gutierrez.

At the City Council meeting on Jan. 26, the city attorney and council members said Kellar did not violate the code of ethics and a majority of people who spoke at the meeting supported Kellar.

City Attorney Carl Newton on Tuesday said Kellar was clearly expressing his personal views and was not representing Santa Clarita.

Newton said it's unlikely the letter will lead to any repercussions.

"(The complaint) could cause the City Council to consider proceedings," Newton said in an interview before the meeting.

"But I think with the opinion that I and the council gave, I think it's unlikely that the City Council would."

An hour before the meeting began, about 20 coalition members held a press conference in front of City Hall discussing what legal steps they are taking to try and get Kellar reprimanded for his speech.

A group of six men from Santa Clarita who came to support Kellar were at the press conference as well.

The two groups confronted one another shouted back and forth.

A woman driving a white car stopped in front of City Hall and yelled at coalition members: "Get the freak out of my town! ... What's wrong with you people?"

A sheriff's deputy walked over to tell her to keep driving.

While the coalition was holding its conference, Randy Thompson, 47, of Saugus yelled in coalition members' faces.

"I don't want to hear what you have to say because you're here supporting illegal immigration," Thompson barked. "Not one of you lives in Santa Clarita."

Some coalition members shouted back.

During the screaming match, Thompson and others tried to drown them out by loudly chanting Bob Kellar's name.

"It's one group yelling at the other," said Parks Commisioner Duane Harte, who was watching the action. "Both think they're right. Yelling at each other gets us nowhere."

Chris Fall, 47 of Valencia, also watched the noisy argument from a distance.

"It's hard to see people outside of Santa Clarita tearing Bob down and the city apart," Fall said. "(Kellar) should clarify what he meant as a way to apologize for what has been taken out of context."

Along with McKeon's call for an apology, Republican gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman distanced herself from Kellar - who had supported her - and called his comments "unacceptable."

"(Kellar) might think he was galvanizing the troops," Gutierrez said. "But I think, if anything, this experience should teach us all that if we are elected to any level of government, we have to be sensitive that what we say may reach farther than we intend."
Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Fellow MM patriots:

Santa Clarita City Council Bob Kellar was absolutely magnificent tonight at the Council meeting.

In his remarks to the audience at the end of the public comments sector, Kellar did NOT back down to the outside agitators, defended the Minutemen Movement that has galvanized thousands of Santa Claritans and millions across our great Land.

Outsiders meddling in the business of Santa Clarita from Los Angles came up threatening lawsuits at al. if Bob did not apologize for his remarks he made as a private citizens, January 16, 2010, at a Save Our State / Antelope Valley ? Santa Clarita Valley Independent Minuteman rally/ The purpose of that rally was to bring to the public's attention the devastating effects illegal immigration has wrought on our community.

The outsiders were exactly that.. outsiders who wish to export their sanctuary city agenda to our community. No law suit will intimidate Santa Clarita. I am cautiously feeling optimistic the four remaining Council members are starting to realize their position of running for cover on the issue of illegal immigration is untenable, and I am hopeful the Council will place the issue on the agenda. No bullying tactics from the A C L U should deter SAnta Clarita from doing the right thing. Enforce the rule of law.

Kellar-endorsed candidate David Gauny was similarly outstanding in articulating the MM are NOT racist vigilantes as demonized by the Left but are law-abiding citizens of our community who seek a solution to the sobering impact of illegal immigration.

Again, thank you Bob Kellar for your courageous stand these past three weeks. We are with you and support you in every possible manner.

Patriots:

Wednesday, February 17, come here City Council candidates in Center point ( George Caravahlo Recreation Center), at the Candidates Forum of the Canyon Country Advisory Council, 7pm-9pm.

A Save our State / Santa Clarita Valley Independent MM rally will be held Saturday, February 27, in Valencia. Subject: The dark side of illegal immigration: CRIME. Illegal aliens are not all here to work. I urge you all to attend, and please let your friends and neighbors know. More details on time / location later.

I am continuing to expand my e mail list. Please let me know if you wish to be deleted from further e mails. Also, please forward to any and all of your e mail contacts, and have them contact me to add their e mail address. ALL E MAIL COMMUNICATIONS ARE SENT BLIND CC. Your privacy is protected.

Thank you all and God Bless America.

Roger Gitlin
SCVIMM
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 PM

"(Kellar) should clarify what he meant as a way to apologize for what has been taken out of context."

When pigs fly.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 PM

"I don't want to hear what you have to say because you're here supporting illegal immigration," Thompson barked. "Not one of you lives in Santa Clarita."

Some coalition members shouted back.Quote

Do you notice the choice of words this so called journalist used. When describing an anti-illegal protester the journalist chose to say he "barked" implying he's a dog. But to describe the ANSWERLA protester he choose "shouted". That was not an accident, that is journalistic propaganda. This journalists goal is to demean Mr. Thompson to the level of animal.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:

Some coalition members shouted back.Quote

Do you notice the choice of words this so called journalist used. When describing an anti-illegal protester the journalist chose to say he "barked" implying he's a dog. But to describe the ANSWERLA protester he choose "shouted". That was not an accident, that is journalistic propaganda. This journalists goal is to demean Mr. Thompson to the level of animal.
Many times I have seen these journalists use this kind of reporting. 'One word' can change the meaning of something, just like leaving out 'One word'. I hope Bob Kellar will never apologize for something that is not correctly reported. How many words of his statement did they leave out? What good is an apology if you do not mean it. Seems to me it is what I call a power trip like, 'We forced him to apoligize'.