Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > The Great Outdoors

The Great Outdoors Hunting, fishing, hiking, climbing, boating and other outdoor activities

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
SOS Associate

Default Ayatollah Meets Wildcat

I was on the road this past week taking the fair maiden on a trip though California's heartland because she's about to start a new job and won't get another vacation for a year. Anyway, you all may be aware that we trailer it alot to save travel money, so it's campgrounds for us. One particularly nice place near Hollister, CA was one stopover for a couple days, and because it's still winter, the place is pretty sparsely populated. In the late evening I set out to find the hot springs about a half mile away in a part of the campground that was deserted. There's a small lodge and some outbuildings, and also a permanent home for the camp host up that way. As I approched the clubhouse, I saw what I thought was one of those statues of an animal frozen in stride, and about 3 feet tall in the field between the clubhouse and the outbuildings. but as I got about 25 yards from the statue, it suddenly turned and looked at me. Long, flexible tail, light short hair, and totally unafraid of me. Unmistakably a mountain lion! And here I was with only a towel and shower clothes on. I yelled at it once, and it moved a bit, but didn't take it's gaze from me. I yelled louder this time while moving slowly toward it, and this time it turned and trotted off slowly towards the permanent house.
I've hunted alot, and never saw one of these big cats before. They're a bit humbling when you're unarmed and lightly clothed. I did make it to the hot springs and spent 30 minutes there, but in the clubhouse, I located a phone and called the park ranger to notify them of the cat sighting.
This week I also saw a small gray or silver fox run just a few feet away from me while I was in the pool of a campground in the hills above Santa Barbara. Lots of quail and deer too
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 AM

Sounds beautiful.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM

sounds Dangerous to me.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 AM

If we have marched in LA with our American Flags and put up with what we have, this sounds pretty easy.