Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > General Socializing

General Socializing Social topics not otherwise categorized

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 10-23-2009, 08:39 PM
SOS Associate

Default The Terrible Trio

You all know the old saying "bad things happen in three's"? Well here's our story:
Left town for the campground around noon, and after a short stop at a fruit stand, arrived at our destination about 2:00 or so. My wife wants to take the dogs for a walk after having been couped up in a car for a couple hours. She decides to take the reins of the big dog, and we head down to the lake. As I stop to untangle little doggy from the leash, big doggy sees a squirrel and heads off at full power. Wife went down pretty hard and was drug a foot or two, causing some scraping, punctures and a few bruises to be. I checked her and ran after big dog. I managed to get him under control and back to the still down wife, and helped get her back up. Her first impulse is to get back on the horse so-to-speak, and wants to finish the walk. Having a better view of the damage, I convince her to head back to the campsite for immediate treatment. I took the beast this time, and we made our way back. Once there, I broke out the medical kits, and examined the wounds with a magnifying glass. Inside, you could clearly see particles of dirt and other foreign objects that had to be removed if there was to be prompt healing and no infection. Unfortunately, these particles were clinging, and basic swabs weren't doing the trick. Ended up using a new toothbrush, a little too stiff for proper bedside manner, but effective. It was uncomfortable for both of us, but we got them cleaned up, medicated, and protected. She's going to be sore tomorrow I'm sure.
So, we drove the to the dog beach and gave big doggie the full hour + of retrieving the stick from the lake until we were sure he'd gotten a good workout. We came back to the campsite and hooked the dogs up with our new harnesses, and proceeded to ready the evening barbeque. Sometime between starting the coals and marinating the chickee, Big doggy's new harness broke as he pulled against it. This thing was new, the heavy duty one which costs the most, but all the heavy parts hinge upon one cheap ass plastic clip that had no business being put into service, and was at best an ornament. We obviously could not just tie up the dog with clothesline, so I hunted through every nook, cranny and crevasse for any suitable doodad, clip, or tie that would mend our broken tool. I was able to find two ring clips, a snap swivel, and knitted them all together for a useable fix. Big doggie was back in business.
Meanwhile, the barbeque had gone out, and we had to restart. but all was well, and after a good dinner and night had fallen, I suited up big dog for a final evening walk. I had made two revolutions around the campsite when some nocturnal animal caught the dogs attention, and he gave a pull. And a second later he was free and bounding through the nearly full campground in almost complete darkness. It took me some doing but I located the beast, and got him into my grasp. This time, the culprit was not the harness but the new leash we bought at the same time, and from the same place. The material was just not strong and it snapped off clean. then, the rest of it wound itself up inside the handle. I don't have all my tools at my disposal so, it's likely we won't be repairing this one.
I blame target, cheap chinese products, and our government for this failure. Used to be you could get good stuff made in America that held up. Not referring to the wife by the way......
With her on the injured list, I'll be cooking, cleaning, and washing for the weekend in the very least.
Three things and it's over, right?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:32 PM

What breed is big doggie?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Three things and it's over, right?
Could be three days with three events each
Old 10-24-2009, 05:01 AM

Hard headed people are more than enough for me. I will leave animal lovers to the dogs and cats.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:37 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
What breed is big doggie?
Golden Retriever. Weighs around 85 pounds, and still pretty young.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:40 PM
SOS Associate

There was some further incidents, and we came home early. I've been tending the wife's wounds morning and evening. Doggie woke up around 3:30 am and needed to go out. Got in a bit of a struggle trying get him back inside. Did see an meteorite flash across the sky then though. Real pretty up in the hills at night
Old 10-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Default Jeez, it sounds like Godzilla on a leash

Jeez, it sounds like Godzilla on a leash.
I have four of the doggie types so I understand.

Once when they were young my wife dove into a fight between two of them
and I had to run outside when I heard her screaming. Once outside I saw her looking like Carrie, drenched in blood. Luckily it was the blood of our two feisty
pit that splattered on her as they tried to turn each other into hamburger.

Being the alpha in the pack they obey when I yell...I wish my wife would too!

I hope your lady is okay.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:13 PM
SOS Associate

Yes, she's already healing.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM

You mentioned punctures, are her tetanus shots up to date?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
You mentioned punctures, are her tetanus shots up to date?
Hadn't thought of that one. Better remind her.

by the by, here is a pic or tow of those faulty devices: