Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > The Media

The Media Topics and information relating to the Media (publications, television, press, first amendment issues, etc) of interest to SOS Associates and Users

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
"SZinWestLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
Ha! You wandered from a sexually based theme to one of race and creed. Creed may have some slight credible reason, but race has been ruled out. The precedent I mentioned was male and female soldiers. Here's an excerpt from a Q & A session about the military:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joini.../military6.htm

They don't require male and female marines to share a room and bunk together as a matter of course.

OK, I'll bite. What would be the compelling justification for your separate-but-equal scheme? Tell me why homosexuals and heterosexuals can't sleep in the same barracks and use the same shower facilities. How is this different than cohabitation with members of races one doesn't like or members of religious groups one detests?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:44 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerailAmnesty.com View Post
OK, I'll bite. What would be the compelling justification for your separate-but-equal scheme? Tell me why homosexuals and heterosexuals can't sleep in the same barracks and use the same shower facilities. How is this different than cohabitation with members of races one doesn't like or members of religious groups one detests?
It boils down to sexual attraction and confined space. In civilian life, you're free to move away when someone develops an attraction and it's not mutual. When you are a soldier, you are required to get along with the other members of your unit. And it's a standard of decency that has evolved over centuries. Members of opposing sexes are not generally required or expected to accept viewing each other in states of undress or while performing grooming or related tasks. When homosexual, lesbian, transgenders are injected into the mix, the attraction quotient still exists. In many it is even stronger.
In the latter examples you cited, the sexual attraction is not normally an issue. You may not like a religious bent or practice of another soldier, but he isn't generally lusting after you. Lust is a stronger emotion, and attraction is attached to a physical reaction. You don't have those drivers in racial or religious arenas.
Have you ever looked into stories written about the very high incidence of rape of women in the military? It appears quite disturbing. Not saying the ratio would be the same between homo/straight soldiers at all, but rather pointing out the strength that physical attraction can have when the players are living under restrictive conditions.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:28 AM

I don't think the two issues of heterosexual rape and homosexuals in the military have anything to do with each other. I think the incidences of rape have more to do with criminality in the military in general and the increased opportunity for rapists to act as women increase their presence in the military.

Homosexuals represent a minority population based on behavior. Anyone who wants to can perform homosexual acts for any reason they want to. Because homosexuality is a behavioral issue, then anyone who decides they are a homosexual has made a decision, for whatever reason, that is not conducive to life in a sexually segregated environment.

Again, it is worth considering the history of homosexuals in the military. Many homosexuals argue that history is full of famous homosexuals who were in the military. Many have even argued that homosexuals are superior performers in the military. It all goes back to the basic challenge of national defense which argues that we must have a population of people -- mostly males -- who live to be prepared to wage war and that this must be a first priority in their lives in military.

You might argue that not only is homosexuality not something to be tolerated in the military, but also raising a family. Military life is tough and demanding and takes a toll on anyone's life who has not made an honest and reasonable commitment to it.