Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > California Schools

California Schools Topics And Information Relating To California Schools

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2009, 05:51 PM

Old 10-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Enlistee

So, what has forty years of Chicano studies leading to Chicanista takeover of the school system and many governmental office and civil service managerial positions as well as the Aztlanista demand for unfettered immigration done for Latinos of all varieties? All the veiled racism and racial agenda in "social justice" and "diversity"? That somehow Latinos are "push outs" rather than "drop outs"? That Latinos are victims of white exploitation and oppression?

About half of all California students are Latino and about a third are white.

Almost half of California students are from low-income families, who pay a minimum of taxes and consume a majority of public social services.

A quarter are identified as English learners.

The higher cost of living in California is a significant factor concerning faculty, administrative and other educational costs. Those factors are felt among the rest of the tax paying population in California as well.

In 2007, some 56.1 percent of foreign-born Hispanics ages 18–24 who were not currently enrolled in high school had completed high school .

Compared to foreign-born Hispanics, status completion rates for American born Latinos were higher

Graduation rates for Hispanics born in the United States were 85.9 percent for “first generation” and 85.1 percent for “second generation or higher”

In each immigrant category Hispanics were less likely than non-Hispanics to have earned a high school credential.

18- through 24-year-olds in the South and West had lower status completion rates (87.2 percent and 87.1 percent, respectively)

Again, Luis Torres says it best.

Quote:
We stood up, and it mattered.

By Luis Torres
Quote:
The Chicano walk out of 1968 was about dignity and fundamental change that we're still striving for...

We also wanted to protest the conditions that led to a drop out rate hovering around 45%. Barely half of us were making it out of high school. Something was desperately wrong and we wanted to do something about it...

I gained a pride in my heritage that made me more comfortable with who I was -- a young man whose parents were from Mexico. I overcame the shame that I used to feel as a kid when my mother "spoke funny" in public. ..

In those times, I remember reading that "the best way to get the Man off your back is to stand up." We stood up on that day...

Forty years ago, the (white) Los Angeles school board was the Man. Today it (the militant brown board) is an ally with the community in the effort to improve education...

The drop out rate at my alma mater, Lincoln High School, and the other Eastside high schools is still about 45%...

PDF:

http://classjump.com/mrcilker/docume...20mattered.pdf

HTML:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,5135201.story
The failure of forty years of Chicano studies

You can't blame it on the white man anymore, and no amount of money thrown at the problem will make a difference.

No more imported poverty. Enforce our immigration laws now.