Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > California Schools

California Schools Topics And Information Relating To California Schools

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 10-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Default 40 yrs of Chicano Studies

Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Enlistee

Default 40 yrs of Chicano Studies
40 years of cultivated "outrage". 40 years of denouncing the white cucui and playing victim. 40 years of Chicano insertion into the political arena and subversion of the educational system and the result?

Quote:
He said that the dropout rate at his alma mater, Lincoln High School in Los Angeles, is about the same as 40 years ago.
The article:

Hispanic activist speaks to students

Quote:
Things have changed since Bobby Verdugo walked out of school to protest discrimination.

"The mayor of LA is Latino, and we have a Hispanic Supreme Court justice," he said. . "These are things we couldn't fathom 40 years ago."

But in a talk to Moreno Valley High School students Tuesday, the 59-year-old Verdugo said some things stay the same.

He said that the dropout rate at his alma mater, Lincoln High School in Los Angeles, is about the same as 40 years ago.

Speaking as part of Hispanic Heritage Month, the Hispanic rights activist recounted how he was one of thousands of students who in 1968 staged walkouts at several East Los Angeles high schools to demand equality in education opportunities.

"There was so much anger and disappointment among Chicano students," Verdugo said. "We wanted things to change."

He said that Hispanic students were often ridiculed and beaten by their teachers for expressing their heritage through ways such as speaking Spanish in class.

Verdugo dropped out of high school in 12th grade. He went back to school and got a degree in social work from Cal State Los Angeles in 1994. In 1995, he started Con Los Padres, one of the country's first teenage fatherhood programs for Hispanics.

Stephanie Martinez, 17, a student who helped organize the event, said she hopes Verdugo's talk can help students from different backgrounds understand what challenges Hispanic students had to overcome to have the rights they have today.

"I hope people realize that Asians and blacks weren't the only ones treated badly," she said.

About 65 percent of the students at Moreno Valley High School are of Hispanic descent, said teacher Pete Loza.
A nice quote here:
Quote:
We are NEVER going to catch up to the youth drop out or youth gang problem as long as we keep expanding the number of problem youths through immigration and illegal entry. We educate the latest batch and thousands more are let in to fill the void
Old 10-23-2009, 05:27 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Enlistee

The pick apart

Quote:
He said that Hispanic students were often ridiculed and beaten by their teachers for expressing their heritage through ways such as speaking Spanish in class.
40 years ago, if you were a smart ass or trouble maker, you got your ass smacked. Didn't matter what color your skin was. I believe my white ass wore out several paddles then referred to as "The Board of Education".

I know a Korean War Vet who grew up in East Los Angeles, He told me that even though his father was from Michoacan, he couldn't communicate with Mexicans. A lot of American born Hispanic kids back then didn't speak Spanish. I think I'll look him up and ask him about the "beatings" in school for speaking Spanish.

In 1958 Octavio Paz said that the "Mexicans" of Los Angeles didn't want to be either Mexican or American, but reveled in not fitting in with society of either countries.

In 1946, there was a teacher in the Inland Empire who enjoyed beating her kindergarten students (She was "equal opportunity". Race didn't matter). One little girl thought she was going to get a beating for not getting into class fast enough after recess, so she ran home.

Her Mexican mother asked her why was she was home and where was her coat? The girl told the story. Mama rapidly exited the house, and returned shortly with the coat.

To this day, the woman doesn't know what transpired between the teacher and her mother, but that white teacher steered clear of that little Hispanic girl from that day on.

And that was in the days when white and brown were separated by the tracks.

Quote:
Stephanie Martinez, 17, a student who helped organize the event, said she hopes Verdugo's talk can help students from different backgrounds understand what challenges Hispanic students had to overcome to have the rights they have today.

"I hope people realize that Asians and blacks weren't the only ones treated badly," she said.
The victimized race card, again.

Another recitation of the 1882 Chinese exclusion act and and Chicano hijacking of the black civil rights movement without saying the words.

Quote:
About 65 percent of the students at Moreno Valley High School are of Hispanic descent, said teacher Pete Loza.
And what is the drop out rate in that high school?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:28 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Enlistee

Default Moreno Valley High
Moreno Valley High

Quote:
Moreno Valley High School is located in Moreno Valley, CA and is one of 9 high schools in Moreno Valley Unified School District. It is a public school that serves 2251 students in grades 9-12.

Moreno Valley High School did not make AYP in 2009. Under No Child Left Behind, a school makes Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if it achieves the minimum levels of improvement determined by the state of California in terms of student performance and other accountability measures.*See Moreno Valley High School's test results to learn more about school performance.

A school's Academic Performance Index (API) is a scale that ranges from 200 to 1000 and is calculated from the school's performance in the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Program. The state has set 800 as the API target for all schools to meet.

Moreno Valley High School had an API growth score of 644 in 2009. California uses the Academic Performance Index (API) to measure annual school performance and year-to-year improvement. Moreno Valley High School's 2009 base score was 606 and the school did meet its 2008 school-wide growth target.

In 2008, Moreno Valley High School had 21 students for every full-time equivalent teacher. The California average is 21 students per full-time equivalent teacher.

http://www.education.com/schoolfinde...o-valley-high/

Moreno Valley High School*2009 Test Scores

Dismal.

http://www.education.com/schoolfinde.../test-results/

*About Moreno Valley High School Students
Student Economic Level
Average Students Participating in Free or Reduced-Price Lunch
This School 75 %
State 51%

Student Ethnicity
This School State Average Hispanic 68 % 49 %
Black 18 % 7 %
White 9 % 29 %
Asian 2 % 8 %
Filipino 1 % 3 %
Pacific Islander < 1 % < 1 %
American Indian/Alaskan Native < 1 % < 1 %
Multiple or No Response < 1 % 3 %

Student Subgroups
English Language Learners

This School 29 % State Average 25 %

Student Completion

Annual Dropout Rate for Grades 9-12

This School 7 % State Average 6 %
Old 10-23-2009, 05:29 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Enlistee

Another blurb concerning East LA Schools:

40 Years After Walkouts, Little Has Changed, Latinos Say

Quote:
The dropout rate in East Los Angeles is still very high. In fact, “The dropout rate is higher today than 40 years ago,” says Patron
http://news.newamericamedia.org/news...c22fc76bbcfbe4

I'm having trouble finding info for Lincoln High, but here's this:

Quote:
Abraham Lincoln Senior High School in Los Angeles, California (CA)

City-data.com school rating (using weighted 2006 test average as compared to other schools in California) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 18.

http://www.city-data.com/school/abra...r-high-ca.html
Once again:
Quote:
We are NEVER going to catch up to the youth drop out or youth gang problem as long as we keep expanding the number of problem youths through immigration and illegal entry. We educate the latest batch and thousands more are let in to fill the void
Old 10-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Soldier

Amazing how much money it costs the US taxpayers to educate kids on how to more identify with your ethnicity, and then it costs again to teach everyone else not to.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Enlistee

We stood up, and it mattered.

By Luis Torres

Quote:
The Chicano walk out of 1968 was about dignity and fundamental change that we're still striving for...

We also wanted to protest the conditions that led to a drop out rate hovering around 45%. Barely half of us were making it out of high school. Something was desperately wrong and we wanted to do something about it...

I gained a pride in my heritage that made me more comfortable with who I was -- a young man whose parents were from Mexico. I overcame the shame that I used to feel as a kid when my mother "spoke funny" in public. ..

In those times, I remember reading that "the best way to get the Man off your back is to stand up." We stood up on that day...

Forty years ago, the Los Angeles school board was the Man. Today it is an ally with the community in the effort to improve education...

The drop out rate at my alma mater, Lincoln High School, and the other Eastside high schools is still about 45%...

PDF:

http://classjump.com/mrcilker/docume...20mattered.pdf

HTML:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,5135201.story
Old 10-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Soldier

Quote:
. I overcame the shame that I used to feel as a kid when my mother "spoke funny" in public. ..
I'll bet she still does too.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Enlistee

About Abraham Lincoln Senior High School

Quote:
Abraham Lincoln Senior High School is located in Los Angeles, CA and is one of 199 high schools in Los Angeles Unified School District. It is a magnet school that serves 2780 students in grades 9-12.

Magnet schools are public schools that offer a specialized curriculum or educational philosophy, often with a specific focus or theme. Magnet schools promote student diversity because they are open to students outside the normal school district boundaries and often attract high caliber students through competitive programs.

Abraham Lincoln Senior High School did not make AYP in 2009. Under No Child Left Behind, a school makes Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if it achieves the minimum levels of improvement determined by the state of California in terms of student performance and other accountability measures.*

A school's Academic Performance Index (API) is a scale that ranges from 200 to 1000 and is calculated from the school's performance in the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Program. The state has set 800 as the API target for all schools to meet.

Abraham Lincoln Senior High School had an API growth score of 587 in 2009. California uses the Academic Performance Index (API) to measure annual school performance and year-to-year improvement. Abraham Lincoln Senior High School's 2009 base score was 609 and the school did not meet its 2008 school-wide growth target.

In 2008, Abraham Lincoln Senior High School had 23 students for every full-time equivalent teacher. The California average is 21 students per full-time equivalent teacher.
Abraham Lincoln Senior High School Student Diversity
Students by Ethnicity*(2008)
Hispanic 81 %
Asian 17 %
Black < 1 %
White < 1 %
Filipino < 1 %
Multiple or No Response < 1 %
Pacific Islander < 1 %
American Indian/Alaskan Native < 1 %

Student Economic Level
Students Participating in Free or Reduced-Price Lunch

This School 76 % State Average 51 %

Student Subgroups

English Language Learners

This School 37 % State Average 25 %

Student Completion

Annual Dropout Rate for Grades 9-12

This School 7 % State Average 6 %

http://www.education.com/schoolfinde...n-senior-high/

Someone has to be lying about the drop out rates:

Two Chicano activist alumni claim it has been unchanged at this school at almost 50% for forty years, yet this statement claims 7%

Both Moreno Valley and Lincoln have five star ratings according to this source, and solicited commentary posted about both schools is glowing. Something stinks.

Also:

Quote:
Abraham Lincoln Senior High School in Los Angeles, California (CA)

City-data.com school rating (using weighted 2006 test average as compared to other schools in California) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 18.

http://www.city-data.com/school/abra...r-high-ca.html
Old 10-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Enlistee

Lincoln high school profile page http://search.lausd.k12.ca.us/cgi-bi...ent&which=8729

A bunch of numbers:

661 Spanish speaking English Learners out of a total of 769 English learners, out of a total of 2777 students.

81.1% Hispanic

Drop out rate 8% with a derived 4 year dropout rate of 33.4%
Old 10-23-2009, 05:33 PM

Enlistee

Lincoln high Drop out rate 11%
http://www.schools-data.com/schools/...s-Angeles.html

Article states California has a 24% dropout rate, focus of article is in Bay area
http://thesfkfiles.blogspot.com/2008...pout-rate.html

An LA times piece which has a couple of student views by Johnson Xue (his own writing) concerning Lincoln High School:

Excerpts:

Quote:
clubs in the school are more for like the asian students not the latino.... that is a problem...... more clubs not just an asian club...

The small problems are: too many students are into period 6 p.e in a sport where all they do is just come to school to be in p.e .... a great example of this are the football players... 90% of all the members in the football team all they live for is football, they dont care about period 1-5, only period 6 p.e ... same goes for other students in a sport. 2nd small problem is: in nearly all the regular classes every1 DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.... only if they're in an honor class than individuals care a lil but in ap classes they care more... so basically students a large majority of them are in regular classes where its not hard not intense so NO NEED TO STUDY, because the teachers dont force them to study only if they're in honor class (still rarely) and ap classes (study a lot).

SO THE BIGGEST OUT OF ALL THESE SMALL PROBLEMS ARE: GANGS, LARGE CLASSES, AND MORE ACTIVITIES WEAR ALL STUDENTS FEEL WELCOME, AND CHANGING HS REQUIREMENTS, AND PUT AN END TO STUDENTS WHO DAYDREAM NOTHING BUT PERIOD 6 P.E WHERE THEY ARE IN A SPORT/TEAM, AND HAVE MORE AP CLASSES AND ADULT SCHOOL CLASSES THAT ARE 1X OR 2X A WEEK.
http://projects.latimes.com/schools/...n-senior-high/