Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > State Government

State Government Issues of importance to SOS associates relating to their state government.

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Default It's time to get involved in redistricting, but why is the auditor calling the shots?

It's time to get involved in redistricting, but why is the auditor calling the shots?

Opinion piece by Elaine Howle

Elaine Howle is the California state auditor, whose office is in charge of handling the applications for the Citizens Redistricting Commission. The commissioners will then draw the new lines for the senate, assembly and Board of Equalization districts.

Quote:
Now that the Legislature has adjourned for the year, many Californians are ready for a break from the rough and tumble world of state government and politics.

My advice? Go ahead, take the fall off. It's not an election year, and autumn is a time for other things -- getting the kids back to school, raking leaves and taking long walks in the clean, crisp air that comes with the change of seasons.

Take a breather now, because come the New Year, we've all got an important new job to do -- creating a commission that will have a major role in the state's future.

Once every 10 years -- after the national census -- all states engage in redistricting-drawing the maps that define districts for members of the Legislature and Board of Equalization so that each district represents an equal share of the population. Until now, this process was overseen by the Legislature and the governor.

But voters changed that in 2008, when they approved the Voters FIRST Act, creating California's first Citizens Redistricting Commission. This is an exciting opportunity for Californa voters to become involved in redistricting.

The Voters FIRST Act also specifically placed the job of seeking citizen applications for this new commission in the hands of the California state auditor.

Some have asked why a fairly obscure, non-elected state official would be charged with such an important new job. While I did not seek this new responsibility, I think the reasons they chose this office are clear.

First of all, because I am a non-elected state official I have not, and in fact am prohibited from engaging in the kinds of political activities that elected officials do every day: e.g. fundraising; meeting with lobbyists; becoming active in parties or partisan politics; engaging in statewide or local campaigns.

Voters wanted someone without any ties to politics per se, beholden to no one, and not looking past the commission's role to their own next election.

At the same time, I believe that they also did not want a complete outsider. They wanted someone who understood how government works, and someone they could count on to do this job right.

My office, the California state auditor's office, works with local government and state agencies every day, as well as with the state Legislature. We understand how the system works, and how critical the process of drawing fair and legal districts is to the state and its future.

I believe the public also wanted to make sure that whoever took on the job would be trustworthy, independent and objective in carrying out the duties to create the new commission.

Again, that description perfectly fits the California state auditor's office. Dedicated to conducting our work in a nonpartisan manner, free from outside influence, including that of elected officials or the subjects of our audits, objectivity and fairness are the hallmarks of our office.

Our auditors base their findings, conclusions, and recommendations upon reliable evidence and never allow preconceived notions or personal opinions to influence their work. We strictly adhere to the standards of the auditing profession and exercise the highest ethical standards -- and that is what we will do in establishing this new commission.

My website contains three key words: commitment, integrity and leadership. That is what we stand for and that is how I will approach this new opportunity.

It is, after all, a new experiment in democracy itself. And as we get started I pledge that the voters will not be disappointed with their decision to place their trust in me. Please visit our website, www.wedrawthelines.ca.gov, to learn how you can become involved in this process and apply to become a member of this new important commission.

I look forward to hearing from thousands of Californians as we start this important work. So take a fall break if you feel the need -- but remember: soon, we'll all have a big job to do.

http://www.bakersfield.com/opinion/f...ling-the-shots

Last edited by ilbegone; 10-29-2009 at 10:54 AM.