Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Elections, Politics, and Partisanship

Elections, Politics, and Partisanship Topics relating to politics, elections, or party affiliations of interests to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 04-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Default enator Lindsey Graham is backing away from introducing a new gas tax.

Email I received:

Jean -

We have great news from Washington: Senator Lindsey Graham is backing away from introducing a new gas tax. We owe a debt of gratitude to the many American Solutions members in South Carolina who called Senator Graham and asked him not to support new gas taxes. Your request has been granted.

Yesterday, Senator Graham sent a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid indicating that he would abandon his support for global warming energy tax legislation if the Senate leadership decided to move ahead first with comprehensive immigration legislation. Here is an excerpt from that letter:

"I want to bring to your attention what appears to be a decision by the Obama Administration and Senate Democratic leadership to move immigration instead of energy. Unless their plan substantially changes this weekend, I will be unable to move forward on energy independence legislation at this time. I will not allow our hard work to be rolled out in a manner that has no chance of success.

"Recent press reports indicating that immigration -- not energy -- is their priority have not been repudiated. This has destroyed my confidence that there will be a serious commitment and focus to move energy legislation this year..."

Whatever the reason for his decision, every American should be grateful that Senator Graham appears to be abandoning his support for a global warming bill that was widely reported to contain new gas, diesel, and other transportation fuel taxes. New gas taxes will kill jobs, hurt small business, and make it more expensive to drive and fly. Americans need more jobs, not more gas taxes.

As a result of Senator Graham's letter, Senators Kerry and Lieberman have temporarily postponed the introduction of their global warming energy tax bill, which was originally scheduled to be presented tomorrow. While Senator Graham's abandonment of the energy tax bill appears today to be a major obstacle to the bill moving forward, we remain alert to the possibility that a new gas tax could be introduced sometime this summer. We will update you on any new future developments.

Thank you once again for your tireless efforts in opposing new gas, diesel, and other energy taxes. This weekend's news shows that American Solutions' members continue to play a vital role in protecting all Americans from higher taxes and advancing solutions that will contribute to American safety, prosperity, and freedom.

Sincerely,
Vince-Signature
Vince Haley
Vice President for Policy
American Solutions

P.S. There's a little over one week until May 5th, when Speaker Gingrich and American Solutions head to Greenville, South Carolina for the next stop on our Real Jobs Summit Tour. If you know anyone in the area that may want to join us, please refer them here.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 AM

Senator Lindsey Graham Says No Immigration Bill Until 2012

End of Immigration Bill for 2010?
Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) admitted today that with the Democrats pushing "comprehensive immigration reform" above climate change and cap and trade bills, he is withdrawing his support for all. He further stated until serious inroads are made to control the border and stem the flow of illegal aliens, the American people will not ever support any such immigration bill. "If immigration comes up this year, it's absolutely devastating to the future of this issue," Sen. Graham said.
I've got to say I am pleasantly surprised by Sen. Graham's remarks. President Obama was counting on Graham to pull at least a couple of Republican senators (the Maine girls?) and possibly Sen. Scott Brown of MA. However, Sen. Brown has stated that he can't support any type of amnesty with 15 million unemployed Americans. A shame that President Obama and his cohorts don't see it that way. It now appears that without Sen. Graham (and most likely about six Democratic senators) "comprehensive immigration reform" is dead in the water for 2010. Sen. Harry Reid (soon to be former senator Harry Reid), also stated today, in an about face, he is now going to push the climate change bill now. This is just another flipflop by this unfortunate senator from Nevada. One doesn't know what to believe is going to happen.
I think the violent reaction by the "professional protesters" in Arizona is another point that is hurting any chance of getting immigration reform passed. It was appalling to Americans to see water bottles and rocks thrown at police officers at the state capitol building over the weekend. We are told about the Tea Party being racists and violent militia. Yet, the sanitized version of what happened in Arizona over the weekend was all one saw on NBC, CBS and ABC. In essence, the MSM is also fanning the flames with their biased reporting. To those on the left; where is your sense of decency in reporting the news fairly? These people that were smearing swastikas with refried beans on the windows of the Capitol building should be ashamed. Are these the people we want to legalize? Where is your outrage on this? There is nothing being reported on the major networks. The much hated Fox News network is the only one reporting what happened. This is what I mean when I say the partisan politics of this nation is literally ripping us apart.
As for Sen. Graham; It seems he had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with his about face on immigration reform. Just three years ago he was calling immigration reform opponents "bigots and nativists." Maybe he has finally seen the handwriting on the wall if he wants to continue his political career. It may be too late for his buddy John McAmnesty. I think Sen. Graham gets the message. Americans don't want this bill to ever see the light of day. Enforce the Immigration Reform Bill of 1986. Forget about this so-called "comprehensive immigration reform" BS. It's just another name for "amnesty." For right now, at least, amnesty seems dead in the water. But, like Lazarus, this bill keeps rising from the dead. It's best to always keep an eye on this with the Obamas running things.
Sen. Graham Says no to Immigration Bill
• GOP's Graham: No immigration bill until 2012 - Washington Times
Sen. Lindsey Graham, the sole Republican working on a bill to legalize illegal immigrants, in effect put the bill on the shelf on Tuesday, saying that a debate now would destroy any prospects for passage and that the issue needs to wait until 2012.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Senator-Lins...ill-Until-2012