Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Archer

Default Monsey couple admit stealing $76G from welfare programs

Monsey couple admit stealing $76G from welfare programs

A Monsey couple who lived in a $775,000 house and held several million-dollar mortgages has pleaded guilty to stealing nearly $76,000 from welfare programs.

Nathan, 53, and Mindy Myski, 50, the parents of 12 children, must repay at least $25,000 of the amount stolen before their sentencing on June 14 to avoid prison sentences.

The Myskis are looking to pay off all the money by their sentencing, prosecutors and defense lawyers said Tuesday.

If there is leftover restitution, the couple would have their five-year probation period to pay back the money at 5 percent monthly interest.

Nathan and Mindy Myski pleaded guilty Monday to third-degree grand larceny as part of a plea agreement accepted by County Judge Charles Apotheker at the Rockland County Courthouse in New City.

Their plea covers a third-degree welfare fraud count and won't carry a prison sentence if restitution is made, Mindy Myski's lawyer, William Frank, said on Tuesday.

"I am confident they will make the restitution," Frank said.

The couple, whose last name had been listed on documents as Misky, had faced 4⁄ to 14 years in prison.

The Myskis were arrested after an investigation by the Rockland District Attorney's Office, the Rockland Department of Social Services and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's Office of the Inspector General.

Between February 2006 and April 2007, the Myskis illegally obtained $26,238 in federal Section 8 rent subsidy benefits, Rockland District Attorney Thomas Zugibe said.

Nathan Myski filed paperwork to illegally qualify for Section 8 rent subsidies while living in the couple's Maple Avenue house, for which his wife signed papers claiming she was his landlord.

Their six-bedroom house, with three bathrooms, was bought for $775,000 in 2005.

They transferred ownership to several holding companies, prosecutors said.

The couple also collected $49,661 in food stamps and Medicaid benefits between April 2006 and February 2008 through the Rockland Department of Social Services, prosecutors said.

While collecting the government money, the Myskis held mortgages on several million-dollar properties in Rockland and the lower Hudson Valley.

Zugibe has said the couple provided false information to government agencies to qualify for the subsidy programs.

They failed to report multiple bank accounts, containing hundreds of thousands of dollars, and property in Rockland and Sullivan counties worth several million dollars.

Mindy Misky also stated on mortgage documents that her job was a sales representative selling vitamins.

When investigators called the company she named, they were told she no longer worked for the firm.

The couple's assets remain frozen under a court order obtained by Executive Assistant District Attorney Gary Lee Heavner.

Zugibe said Tuesday that the promised sentence for the Myskis was appropriate for first-time offenders and they were being treated no differently than any other defendants who committed nonviolent crimes.

He said his office will ensure the government programs are reimbursed.

He said the Myskis also will be sentenced to community service.

"They have no prior record, and if they don't come up with the full restitution, the judge told them he will lock them up," Zugibe said.

Frank praised Zugibe and Apotheker for demanding repayment rather than prison time for the couple.

"The key thing is the restitution," Frank said. "The federal government, the state and county will be made whole."

Frank said neither his client nor Nathan Myski had a criminal record prior to their arrest in July 2009.

"They showed poor judgment, which is an understatement," Frank said.

"They have no prior criminal record, and I believe they have eight children at home who need to be supported."

Nathan Myski's lawyer, Michael Burke of Suffern, didn't return a telephone call for comment.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...ID=20103240353
Old 04-07-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
"The key thing is the restitution," Frank said. "The federal government, the state and county will be made whole."
It is always about MONEY. Seems that only crooks get ahead, at least until a few finally get caught. There are times when I think we should not have social programs. I wish I could just say 'We should not have criminals'.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:35 AM

Default My county.

Monsey, New York is about 2 miles from my home. It's the epicenter of ultra orthodox Jews. These are the Hasidics in the photos. They are everywhere in that area.

In spite of their pretense at religion they are always up to some shenanigans and getting caught. Always ripping off someone. Milking the system.

Unfortunately our Town of Ramapo supervisor is in bed with them. He breaks zoning codes and allows high density housing on properties that must include a building of religious instruction. One member of any household must be an "adult student". That gives them tax free status and they free load on the other tax payers.

They - their community - then vote in blocks. Whoever the Rabbi says to vote for, all obey him.

It's payola, corruption, operating under the guise of Government.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWHBLCAIN View Post

Nathan, 53, and Mindy Myski, 50, the parents of 12 children, ....
No matter how you frame basic welfare issues, where ever you go on the face of this planet, the problem is basically the same. People are having too many children.

Whatever you might infer about orthodox Jews from this, at least they are not trying to take over the world.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post
Monsey, New York is about 2 miles from my home. It's the epicenter of ultra orthodox Jews. These are the Hasidics in the photos. They are everywhere in that area.

In spite of their pretense at religion they are always up to some shenanigans and getting caught. Always ripping off someone. Milking the system.

Unfortunately our Town of Ramapo supervisor is in bed with them. He breaks zoning codes and allows high density housing on properties that must include a building of religious instruction. One member of any household must be an "adult student". That gives them tax free status and they free load on the other tax payers.

They - their community - then vote in blocks. Whoever the Rabbi says to vote for, all obey him.

It's payola, corruption, operating under the guise of Government.
Sounds like a giant Gypsy camp.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:14 AM

Default Compound

This ultra Orthodox Jewish compound has been under construction for a few years just completed recently.

I really do not know very much about how many people are living there, but these are Hasidics. The men all dress alike and have long curls of hair hanging down from both sides of the head. The women dress in old fashioned drab clothing and shoes. They are not friendly or congenial to/with outsiders. Deal among themselves and often is cash only.

The housing is huge and must have more than one family inside. There appears to be some sort of religious instruction "school" or synagogue also included. This is essentially the composition and component used to game the system and get tax free status.

They "bloc" vote, all for one candidate. There was quite a flap about it here in my county when Mrs. Clinton was involved as a New York State senator.

Our Town Supervisor recently approved breaking up 2 acre zoning and allowing a 200 acre farm, in an upscale affluent community, to be re-zoned for 1600 Hasidics. All tax exempt.

The satelite image, Google Earth, shows the location of the compound in the photos. 20 miles North West of New York City, Rockland County, Town of Ramapo, the Village of Spring Valley or Monsey *( right on Village lines ). The white building in center is the "school/synagogue, the lower East West road is the New York State Thruway, the upper East West road is the Old Nyack Turnpike and the North South road is Hungry Hollow road. The compound is bracketed on the North, East and South by roads and on the West by residential homes. The compound is surrounded by chain link fence.

These are people who do not integrate. They stay aloof and separate, pursue their own language *( see Hebrew writing on the facade of the religious building ) and culture.

Many emigrate from Israel and end up in Brooklyn, then migrate out further into the outlying counties where they establish more compounds.

Last edited by wetibbe; 04-09-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Archer

Wow, interesting to say the least.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:

These are people who do not integrate. They stay aloof and separate, pursue their own language *( see Hebrew writing on the facade of the religious building ) and culture.

Many emigrate from Israel and end up in Brooklyn, then migrate out further into the outlying counties where they establish more compounds.
The fact that they stay aloof and seperate is not disturbing to me since even hassidic Jews are not aggressive or imperialistic about their beliefs. I am more concerned about how they feel about the laws in this country and participating with respect to our political system, the constitution and especially citizenship. There is no subversion coming from the Jewish community. Israel has more to worry about us then we do them.

Are these communities all naturalized citizens or what? Are there any "permenant resident aliens" among them? How about anchor babies? What are their language skills like? They may post in Hebrew, but if they can speak fluent English, who cares?

Last edited by Twoller; 04-09-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:09 AM

Default Reply.

Are these communities all naturalized citizens or what? Are there any "permanent resident aliens" among them? How about anchor babies? What are their language skills like? They may post in Hebrew, but if they can speak fluent English, who cares?

I see them all the time in supermarkets, Costco, Lowe's and some speak perfect American English, some broken and some in Hebrew or Yiddish.

I really don't have much data on illegals or anchor babies and there are no stories in the newspapers about it. They are definitely not in a category with the Latino/Hispanic day laborers.

They live in their own world separate from the rest of America, deal with eachother, have retail stores and other businesses which the Hasidics cater to almost exclusively in my county.

Politically I think they deal as much as possible with other Jews that are sort of regular types. They are essentially democrats.

I think it is safe to say that their first allegiance is to their religion, their language, their culture and Israel. They operate their own schools and are not seen in the public schools.

There are certainly numbers on welfare and Medicaid.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Archer

Quote:

Are these communities all naturalized citizens or what? Are there any "permanent resident aliens" among them? How about anchor babies? What are their language skills like? They may post in Hebrew, but if they can speak fluent English, who cares?

I see them all the time in supermarkets, Costco, Lowe's and some speak perfect American English, some broken and some in Hebrew or Yiddish.

I really don't have much data on illegals or anchor babies and there are no stories in the newspapers about it. They are definitely not in a category with the Latino/Hispanic day laborers.

They live in their own world separate from the rest of America, deal with eachother, have retail stores and other businesses which the Hasidics cater to almost exclusively in my county.

Politically I think they deal as much as possible with other Jews that are sort of regular types. They are essentially democrats.

I think it is safe to say that their first allegiance is to their religion, their language, their culture and Israel. They operate their own schools and are not seen in the public schools.

There are certainly numbers on welfare and Medicaid.
Not good for our country that's for sure!