Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 AM

Default Winter blahs!

Well now we have had our 13th snow storm so far. Last night we were supposed to get more snow but it passed South of us. The temp at night has been in the low teens, single digits and some nights below zero. But daytime temps range up and bounce. Several days in the 20's and 30's, the occasional day in the 40's. I had 20 " of snow on my deck. Many roofs collapsed around the area from snow load. The winter accumulation so far is 45 inches.

The Hudson River froze over. The Raritan Bay New Jersey water temp dropped to 38 degrees. There was ice in the Shrewsbury River and the charter boat Captain's pulled their boats out.

Today I went shopping at Shoprite Super Market, the most reasonable in the area.

Ear corn $1.00 each ear ! Wow. It's normally 45 cents. It was 35 cents a couple of years ago. And 25 cents before that.

Leeks $3.99 a bunch. There were two leeks in the bunch. That's $2.00 per leak. Yikes.

Other prices were up, down, normal, spread not really too comprehensible.

I asked one of the produce employee's what was going on and he said; " the weather ".

Here we get quite a bit of fruit from Chile. It's summer time there. And berries from Mexico. But too stuff from California and Florida. And from Canadian green houses.

So what's going on ? The sun is said to be in a low 10 year period of activity now. The great Lakes are 75% frozen over, first time in 40 years.

What happened to Global Warming ?

Truth be told, probably nobody actually knows.

We hear now that it is raining in California. So is the drought over there ?

What we do know is that Senior Citizens have averaged a 1.3% cost of living increase while Congress voted themselves 4% and food stamp recipients got over 30% increase !

So now we are into March. The winter is essentially behind us.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 AM
SOS Associate

Supply and demand is what's happening to your fresh foods. but everything else can be attributed to inflation and a bit of monopoly. fear not though. At our age, we don't have to take this too long