Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Municipalities

Municipalities Issues and information relating to cities and counties within California that are of interest to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Default It was a good year for Mayor V.

It was a good year for Mayor V. ... not so much for the rest of us

Quote:
Quote:
By Doug McIntyre

12/26/2009

It's always a treat when the Mayor of Los Angeles flies all the way to Los Angeles for a visit. Antonio Villaraigosa surprised us for the holidays by dropping by the city he nominally runs to tell the Daily News what a great job he's doing.

"I think this is one of the best years we've had", the Mayor told city hall reporter Rick Orlov.

You might think the Mayor's delusional self-evaluation is the result of jetlag. After all, Air Marshall Villaraigosa had just deplaned after his latest international vacation -- a whirlwind whopper to Berlin, Copenhagen and London that skinned the taxpayers for another $120,000. But our Mayor is immune to jetlag. What Tony's got is truthlag.

Maybe from the window seat of a private jet or a Saga Class recliner on Icelandair, L.A. appears to have had a good year. It's hard to see the caravan of moving vans heading east with all those clouds in the way.

After a couple of glasses of Lufthansa Champagne, who can remember L.A.'s real unemployment numbers -- 10%? 14%? 20%? Whatever. Tony's not worried about your job. As he told Orlov, "I love my job and I have it for three more years!" How do you say, "Let them eat cake!" in German?

When the Mayor tells us, "I think this is one of the best years we've had," he really means it's one of the best years he's had. I checked my "Villaraigosa to Truth" dictionary where We = Me.

But even that's a stretch. Those "Villaraigosa for Governor" yard cards never made it to a single yard, which is just as well seeing how our yards are brown thanks to the gross mismanagement of the DWP. Measure B went down, Jack Weiss went down, Chris Essel went down, but the city's budget deficit went up. The Mayor's back patting sounds particularly desperate this time around.

Santa did bring the Mayor a new Police Chief, Charlie Beck, just in time to paper over yet another financial scandal the old chief left in his celebrated wake. While we're firing City workers and raising taxes the Mayor, with his City Council wingmen, still delivered a raise to Brian D'Arcy's IBEW, not just for this year, but for each of the next five years! I was certainly a good year for Local 11.

The problem with reality is it's so darn real. Which is why Villaraigosa prefers the view from 30,000 feet. From up in the clouds you don't see the high school dropouts and graffiti. You don't see the hideous insider trading that's bankrupted the city financially and politically. You don't see the third-worlding of Los Angeles: the influx of poverty and the exodus of the tax base while gated communities bump against unlicensed street vendors and illegal garage conversions.

The Mayor had a very good year and that's the only thing that matters.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 12-28-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:57 PM
"SZinWestLA"

That's about as honest and accurate an assessment of L.A. politics as you'll find.