Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > The Media

The Media Topics and information relating to the Media (publications, television, press, first amendment issues, etc) of interest to SOS Associates and Users

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 01-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Default Our rally:Santa Clarita councilman calls himself 'proud racist'

Santa Clarita councilman calls himself 'proud racist'
By Susan Abram, Staff Writer
Updated: 01/23/2010 03:08:38 PM PST
Santa Clarita councilman says he is a `proud racist'
In a heated speech at an anti-illegal-immigration rally, a Santa Clarita city councilman called himself a "proud racist" — a comment that has outraged some residents and political opponents.
Bob Kellar, who has served on the Santa Clarita council for 10 years, made the remarks at a Jan. 16 rally in Santa Clarita, attended by anti-illegal immigration groups and posted on YouTube.
Kellar stood by his remarks in an interview, saying they reflected his frustration with illegal immigration, but weren't intended to express animosity against nonwhites.
"It doesn't mean I'm going to saddle up the horses at midnight," he said.
At the rally,
Kellar first referred to a statement from President Theodore Roosevelt that says the United States only has room for one flag and one language. He said he had quoted it at a past City Council meeting.
"The only thing I heard back from a couple of people was `Bob, you sound like a racist.'
"I said, `That's good. If that's what you think I am because I happen to believe in America, then I'm a proud racist. You're darn right I am."'
Some Democrats seized on Kellar's remarks as symbolic of the Republican Party's attitudes toward immigration in general.
"The Democratic Party will make a point of singling this out in the upcoming campaign season," said Eric Bauman, chairman of the Los Angeles County Democratic Party.
"Even in conservative communities, we don't expect people to talk like that," Bauman said. "I think it's a metaphor for California's Republican Party that is so out of touch with people in this state. Santa Clarita, even though it's a conservative community, is diverse. I think I'm surprised that Republicans have not stood up and spoken."
Carole Luteness, a community organizer and Democratic leader in Santa Clarita, said Kellar's remarks accurately reflect his attitudes.
"Bob has done some good stuff in this Valley, but his attitude is whites-only, and the rest need not apply," Luteness said.
Luteness said she considers those rallies "just above the Aryan Nation."
"I am not for open borders, but I am not for blaming the victims," she said.
The rally, held at the corner of Magic Mountain Parkway and Valencia Boulevard, was attended by members of several groups that are against illegal immigration, including the Santa Clarita Valley Independent Minutemen.
Kellar said he went not as a councilman, but as a resident of Santa Clarita and a concerned American.
In the interview, he said government officials need to stand strong on immigration and good people have been hurt by those who cross the border illegally.
"I'm a conservative," Kellar said. "I have a big problem with illegals. When are we going to stop all this foolishness? I stand by everything I said."
Also speaking at the rally was Jamiel Shaw Sr., an African-American whose 17-year-old son was gunned down two years ago allegedly by a 19-year-old illegal immigrant and gang member.
Shaw said he felt as Kellar does.
His son, Jamiel Shaw Jr., was a football player and honor student on his way to UCLA, when he was slain near his Arlington Heights home in 2008. A member of the 18th Street Gang and convicted felon, allegedly in the country illegally, is awaiting trial for the slaying.
"My son was murdered by an illegal alien that was released from L.A. County jail on a Saturday night and on Sunday night, he had murdered my son," Shaw said during the rally. "No one called (Immigration and Customs Enforcement). No one cared."
"If this makes me a racist, then hey, I'm going to be the best one I can. It's not racist to be pissed off, and I'm a pissed-off dad. I miss my son."
Such rallies against illegal immigration - as well as those on the other side seeking amnesty and immigration reform - are expected to increase in frequency in coming months as a new reform bill is debated in Congress.
A rally supporting national reform that leads to increased citizenship is scheduled for 11 this morning at the Van Nuys Civic Center.
The congressional bill, introduced in December by U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., proposes strengthening border security but also offers to legalize undocumented workers if they undergo a criminal background check and pay a fine for being here illegally.
While both sides of the immigration issue want reform, the tone of such rallies can be offensive to some because defining an American has always been a touchy subject, said Fernando Guerra, director of the Center for the Study of Los Angeles at Loyola Marymount University.
"We've had these battles (throughout history) as people defined what was an American," Guerra said. "There were the non-English-speaking Germans in Pennsylvania and the Catholics, who couldn't be accepted so they had to create their own universities. There was the question of the African-Americans and Native Americans."
Guerra also said the tone of such rallies can instigate hatred because no distinction is made when using the term "illegal."
"Even though I am a U.S.-born citizen with a Ph.D., as I'm walking down the street, they will use that definition against me," he said.
Raymond Herrera, a former spokesman for the Minuteman Project and founder of his own anti-illegal-immigration group, said he opposes amnesty for the undocumented but also discourages racist rhetoric at gatherings and calls groups such as the Ku Klux Klan "reprehensible."
Still Herrera, whose group is called We the People, California's Crusader, agrees with Kellar's views.
"I wish that all city council members would speak to the issue," Herrera said.
Herrera, who said his grandfather came to the United States from Mexico and was a legal citizen, said other Latinos sometimes call him offensive names. He said his goal is to encourage Mexicans to stand strong against their own government and demand a better life, instead of leaving their country to depend on others.
"I'm called a racist and a coconut for saying this," he said, "but we are invaded by illegal aliens that are Hispanic."
Meanwhile, some of Kellar's fellow council members said the community is divided over the issue but that Kellar's remarks do not represent the council's view as a whole.
"This is a very difficult situation," said Santa Clarita Mayor Pro Tem Marsha McLean. "There are people who feel very strongly on each side (of the immigration issue).
"We (the council members) as individuals are responsible for the way we conduct ourselves. (Kellar) does not represent the council."
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_14254846
Old 01-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Interesting comment.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Interesting comment.
Ya and those are all in just the last 5 hours. People are fed up. We're going back!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
Ya and those are all in just the last 5 hours. People are fed up. We're going back!
I think we struck a nerve and have some momentum going on in Santa Clarita.
Now that the city council and Mayor have been quoted it is easy for me to say of the Mayor that she can't have it two ways. There is no debate here. This is not a difficult decision. If she can't side with America then she should not be in office period.

We must go back. Jean if it's just you and I or even by myself I will go back!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:59 PM

I saw him say that on the videos somebody posted here. It was pretty clear that the guy was not actually announcing himself as a racist, but simply trying to apply the false posing of certain sentiments as racist. It was a very offhanded thing to say and it is conceivable by his language that he is a racist. But it certainly wasn't anything like the announcement that people suggest it was. He was not actually saying he was a racist.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:43 PM

IN!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM

Watched us on channel 2 News. Not pretty. Of course they want to stir the pot and say we are the racist ones.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Glory View Post
Watched us on channel 2 News. Not pretty. Of course they want to stir the pot and say we are the racist ones.
When was that on? And was it in regards to the video?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
When was that on? And was it in regards to the video?
11:00 pm

Yes
Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 PM

Santa Clarita councilman calls himself 'proud racist'
Posted in the LA Daily News Forum

Read

151 Comments