Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > The Media

The Media Topics and information relating to the Media (publications, television, press, first amendment issues, etc) of interest to SOS Associates and Users

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 PM

Default You Are It, Meredith

You Are It, Meredith

By "Senator Bob" Smith | January 7, 2011
Conservatives have long complained that the liberal media likes to play games with truth, when reporting news about conservatives and their policies. On January 6th on NBC’s “Today Show,” those games were never more obvious than in the person of that deceptively sweet and innocent Meredith Vieira. The “Today Show” co-host introduced her guest, Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (R-MN), with a cheerful smile and a “Good morning to you.” That is where the fun ended for Bachmann.
After reminding her audience in the introduction that Congresswoman Bachmann was a founder of the Tea Party Caucus in the House (this is, of course, code for her viewers as “nut case,” so pay attention), Vieira proceeded to pound away at the Minnesota Congresswoman with as many negatives as she could drum up. If it were only true that Meredith were a somewhat naive lightweight in the liberal media, we could laugh it off.
Nothing could be further from the truth. This was a serious and well planned attack by a slick expert promoting a liberal agenda at the direction of her superiors at NBC.
Ms. Vieira received her playbook from her “bosses” for the new Republican Congress—more specifically for the Tea Party members who dared to get involved and try to save this nation from financial ruin brought on by decades of liberal-led big spending policies. Let’s keep them on the defensive as much as possible. Let’s embarrass and destroy them.
First she proudly hit Bachmann with this one: “Given the fact that the Democratic-led Senate will never go for that and the President has the veto power, why make repeal of the Obama health care law the first big thing on your plate?” Vieira even added this emphasis: “If you have no chance to repeal it why go through the exercise?” Bachmann “took no prisoners,” reminding Meredith that the people had voted for each of us to do just that. HAVE A VOTE. One thing that I would have added is the word “accountability.”
In a Republic the voters need to know where each of their representatives stands on critical issues. Pelosi wanted us to vote on a bill which they had the votes to win, without even reading it. Now the liberals don’t even want us to vote on a repeal? Are you kidding me? When the liberals had the presidency, 60 senators and a large House majority, did Vieira ask Pelosi, Reid or Obama, why were they voting for a forgone conclusion? I must have missed it! In a Republic, Ms. Vieira, win or lose, this is what we do. WE VOTE. Dictatorships make decisions on presumed conclusions, not Republics.
The interview became even more outrageous as the NBC co-host peppered Congresswoman Bachmann with questions about the debt ceiling. “Do you think it is a good idea to shut the government down?,” Vieira asked her incredulously. Again Bachmann did well in the response pointing out that cutting off spending at the correct amount would not shut the government down.
In the final portion of the interview Vieira hammered the Congresswoman on whether she was prepared to “cut” Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, other entitlements and defense as well. The plan is obvious: Get the Tea Party people on the record with positions on cutting entitlements and they can be defeated at the polls and they will be history.
All right, Meredith, fair enough. You know, as I and most members of Congress do, that entitlement reform is necessary to get a handle on a $14 trillion debt that is increasing by hundreds of billions every year. Those whom the Tea Party put in power will be expected to make these tough calls and have a vote, so all will be on the record on a serious plan to address this catastrophic threat to our survival as a nation. I hope that you will ask Bachmann and all of them these questions. But here is my challenge to you in this game of tag. Interview President Obama, Leader Reid, Ms. Pelosi and other liberal leaders and ask them the following questions:
1. Are you prepared to continue to mortgage our children’s future and threaten the survival of America by continuing to allow this debt to escalate? If not, tell me what your specific plan is to balance the budget and pay down the debt?
2. Since non-discretionary spending is about 80 percent of the budget, are you prepared to make significant changes to reduce that portion of the budget? If so, what changes?
You have proven that you can hammer the Tea Party and conservative leaders for the tough positions. I agree with you that they should have to answer these questions. You might even force an honest debate, if you would stop immersing yourself into the politics and hold the liberals to the same standard. This is much more serious than a game of tag at the school yard, but the principles are the same.
You are it, Meredith!
http://www.aim.org/aim-column/you-are-it-meredith/

TUCSON MASSACRE