Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Municipalities

Municipalities Issues and information relating to cities and counties within California that are of interest to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 04-09-2010, 07:49 PM
SOS Associate

Default New Initiative To Combat Day Labor Pests Coming Soon

For all of you dedicated SOS'ers who have cut their teeth at Day Laborer site protests, I have some good news. I've been researching and writing a local ordinance to combat day laborers and their customers that I strongly believe will pass muster constitutionally, and give little opportunity for Day laborer defenders to block. I plan on making it public through my local entity, FightBackinSac.com, so as to avoid any problems with the SOS non-profit status. Although I've already shared it with Jean, the public release may come within thirty days, and hopefully take place during a county board of supervisors meeting. My plan is to offer the code to the board in hopes they will adopt it in its' entirety. If that don't happen, I'll go the local initiative route and ask the locals if they'd like to amend the county charter and include it. Either way, once it is public, I will also post it here for anyone that is so inclined to take it before their city or county to see if they can get it adopted or bring it to a vote.
I did a lot of research on this, and interviewed the state labor commissioners office, (taped interview to be posted soon), and of course spent countless hours over the past few years following day laborers and their employers to job sites.
I think the culmination of all this has provided a very solid foundation for a code that will work, will not be tossed out by a judge, and will give any community in California the tools they need to fight illegitimate hiring and day labor nuisances.
I'm sure there will be opposition to this locally of course, but I'm still up to a fight, and as many of you know, Day laborers have been a major focus of mine since they took over our neighborhood years ago. I hope I can count on your support in the coming weeks, and you know I'll reciprocate if we're successful here.
Shall it be called "Ayatollah's Law"?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 PM

It is good to find out what you have been up to lately. I have been wondering but I have lived long enough to know to be patient, at least some of the time.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 AM

Patience for me went out the door last year.