Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > State Government

State Government Issues of importance to SOS associates relating to their state government.

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 AM
SOS Associate

Default State Contractor's License Board Partners With ICE

Halleluja! I went to the board's last meeting, and there's one today also that I'll be at. Anyone remember when I started working this angle back in the early SOS days? Persistence pays off sometimes.
Don't give up, and don't give in. And thank the contractors board for spurning the reconquista and illegal alien lobby in favor of fairness and enforcement of laws equally

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/GeneralInform...ws20130318.asp

Quote:
SACRAMENTO — Nearly 80 people face criminal charges after being caught in simultaneous statewide undercover sting operations conducted this week by the Contractors State License Board (CSLB). Among those arrested during CSLB’s spring California Blitz were a registered sex offender, a suspect with a prior conviction for statutory rape, an individual with an active arrest warrant for corporal punishment of a minor child, one on federal probation for bribery, and several caught using contractor license numbers not belonging to them.

Investigators from CSLB’s Statewide Investigative Fraud Team (SWIFT) conducted stings on March 13 and 14, 2013, in Orange (Orange County), Lawndale (Los Angeles County), San Bernardino (San Bernardino County), Chico (Butte County), Oakdale (Stanislaus County), and Bakersfield (Kern County). SWIFT investigators posed as homeowners seeking bids for home improvements such as painting, electrical, landscaping, flooring, drywall, swimming pool maintenance, concrete, masonry, and tree removal work.

A total of 78 individuals were arrested and now may face misdemeanor charges for contracting without a license (Business and Professions Code section 7028). The penalty for a conviction is up to six months in jail and/or a fine of up to $5,000. At least one is a repeat offender and could face a mandatory 90-day jail sentence if convicted a second time.

Fifty-seven of the individuals also may be charged with illegal advertising (Business and Professions Code section 7027.1). State law requires contractors to place their license number in all print, broadcast, and online advertisements. Those without a license can advertise to perform jobs valued at less than $500, but the ad must state that they are not a licensed contractor. The penalty is a fine of $700 to $1,000.

Twenty-four others may be charged with requesting an excessive down payment (Business and Professions Code section 7159.5). In California, a home improvement project down payment cannot exceed 10 percent of the contract total or $1,000, whichever is less. This misdemeanor charge carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail and/or up to a $5,000 fine.

Seventeen of the phony contractors also were issued Stop Orders (Business and Professions Code section 7127). CSLB investigators can halt job site activity when any person with or without a contractor license does not have workers’ compensation insurance coverage for employees. Failure to comply with a Stop Order can result in misdemeanor charges and penalties, including 60 days in jail and/or up to $10,000 in fines.

Fourteen suspects were detained by the Department of Homeland Security / U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for identification and/or deportation. One suspect fled the scene in Bakersfield.

Operation totals may increase as some suspects are expected to provide their bids via email or fax. A majority of those caught this week were identified through ads on craigslist.org.

STING NOTES

Chico

• Arrest of Guillermo Serrano Tejas, whose license (#500728) was revoked in 1990.

Oakdale

• Arrest of Emilio Quakenbush, who gave a $22,500 bid for drywall work, is a registered sex offender.

• Arrest of Michael Anthony Giuiland, who used a CSLB license number not belonging to him. Giuiland is on federal probation for bribery.

Bakersfield

• Arrest of Benigno Arguelles Martinez, who has a prior conviction for statutory rape.

• Arrest of Gustavo Martinez and Juan Garcia Torres after they portrayed themselves as business partners and gave a bid to replace a driveway. When CSLB investigators identified themselves, Torres fled in their vehicle, leaving his partner behind. Torres had previous deportations and served prison time for illegal entry.

• Arrest of Juan Manuel Villanueva, who was taken into custody for having false identification and on an arrest warrant for corporal punishment of a minor child and vehicle theft.

• Arrest of Jerry Allen Hensen, who brought an employee with him to give a bid to remove three 60- to 70-foot trees. The employee was carrying drug paraphernalia and methamphetamine, and was taken into custody. His is vehicle was impounded.

Lawndale

• Arrest of Edward Fragoso, whose CSLB license (#925861) was suspended in December 2010 and has since expired.

• Arrest of Julio Jimenez, who was caught in a CSLB undercover sting in April 2012, and later convicted. He was ordered to serve 10 days in jail and three years’ probation. A second conviction would carry a mandatory 90-day jail sentence.

Orange

• Arrest of Kyle Raymond Kovacovsky, who gave undercover investigators a $7,500 bid to replace swimming pool equipment.

San Bernardino

• Ricardo Marquez-Martinez is to be deported for felony drug, burglary, and firearms violations.

• Suspect Juan Ayala Colunga is to be deported by ICE on felony charges including corporal abuse.

“CSLB and its partners in law enforcement are serious about enforcing our state’s consumer protection laws,” says CSLB Registrar Steve Sands. “Unlicensed, illegal activity that puts homeowners at risk and puts those who follow state laws at a competitive disadvantage will not be tolerated.”

Arrest tallies from each sting location are available by clicking HERE.

Participating agencies from the two-day blitz are noted below.

Notices to Appear

Partner Agencies

Orange
Orange County

City of Orange Police Department
California Employment Development Department

Lawndale
Los Angeles County

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
Department of Homeland Security / U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)

San Bernardino
San Bernardino County

Department of Homeland Security / U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
City of San Bernardino Police Department

Chico
Butte County

Butte County District Attorney’s Office

Oakdale
Stanislaus County

Stanislaus County District Attorney’s Office
Department of Consumer Affairs Division of Investigation

California Employment Development Department

Bakersfield
Kern County

Kern County District Attorney’s Office

California Department of Insurance
Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 AM
SOS Associate

I went to the state contractors license board meeting yesterday, this is the meeting they have about enforcement, and I got up during the public comment period and thanked them profusely for partnering with ICE.
I also encouraged them to start looking into the day labor centers across this state to cripple the underground economy and the unlicensed contractors who are about 1/3 of the patrons there. they are prohibited from discussing anything that's not on the agenda, but I was able to convey my ideas to the people that actually write policy for the license board.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:04 AM

AG, I am not sure you realize just how important your post and information is. I have always known that a person must check with the licsense board to see if the business is ok. Big question is wheather it is a stolen number. I have avoided any kind of repair work but at some point it is necessary to have plumbing, painting etc.
Seems you are the only one who gets into these problems these days. I wish not only our members but any one who sees a problem will/would report it or bring attenion to it.
The invaders are active every day while we are silent.

Thank you so much and what you are doing is appreciated.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
AG, I am not sure you realize just how important your post and information is. I have always known that a person must check with the licsense board to see if the business is ok. Big question is wheather it is a stolen number. I have avoided any kind of repair work but at some point it is necessary to have plumbing, painting etc.
Seems you are the only one who gets into these problems these days. I wish not only our members but any one who sees a problem will/would report it or bring attenion to it.
The invaders are active every day while we are silent.

Thank you so much and what you are doing is appreciated.
And you're welcome Rim.

I'll be obtaining a copy of the sound recording from this meeting so you all can listen to it just like you were there.