Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Elections, Politics, and Partisanship

Elections, Politics, and Partisanship Topics relating to politics, elections, or party affiliations of interests to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 11-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Default Lou Dobbs To Run for Political Office?

In a report by the Associated Press on Sunday, Lou Dobbs says he's considering a great leap into public office.

Is it real this time? Back in January he had no comment when the rumors started to spread, including a website by his fans. He gave the cliched "no comment" answer when asked if there was a New Jersey gubernatorial bid looming.

On the November 11, 2009 edition of his nightly broadcast Lou Dobbs Tonight, Dobbs announced his immediate departure from CNN, citing plans to "'pursue new opportunities.

The 62-year-old from Sussex County, New Jersey spent 30 years serving CNN, joining when it launched in 1980, serving as its chief economics correspondent and as host of the business news program Moneyline , he also served as a corporate executive for CNN, as its executive vice president and as a member of CNN's executive committee.

It can be said that anyone in the media spotlight with a stronghold stance, right or left will encounter difficulties and Dobbs is no exception, having become a target of criticism from liberal and Latino advocacy organizations for his campaign against illegal immigration.

These issues, one could be sure to hear at least twice every Lou Dobbs segment.

Dobbs was in constant jabs wtih CNN management over his questions relating to President Barack Obama's birth site, even after CNN reporters had found nothing to substantiate the issue.

Although the decision to depart CNN was characterized as mutual, Dobbs said he approached CNN President Jon Klein to say it wasn't working for him.

"What they do is their business and I tried to accommodate them as best I could, but I've said for many years now that neutrality is not part of my being," he said.

Dobbs was replaced by John King, a veteran reporter surprisingly quick.

"I have strong views about a lot of issues that are important to the country and I think are important to my audience" says Dobbs.

He said he's eager to meet with some of the groups that have criticized him. Specifically, Latino organizations that declared his anti-illegal immigration stance insulting and prejudice.

A departure from CNN, was it a political move Mr. Dobbs? It looks as though the "politically incorrect" newscaster is being very "pc" lately.

Lou Dobbs will be in the public arena making sure to leave no bridges burned.

http://www.examiner.com/x-28270-LA-H...-public-office
Old 11-26-2009, 02:24 AM

November 25, 2009
Fueling speculation, Dobbs appears to soften on key issue
Posted: November 25th, 2009 06:03 PM ET

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
(CNN) - The same week Lou Dobbs suggested he would consider running for the White House in 2012, the former CNN anchorman appears to be softening his stance on his signature issue of illegal immigration.
In an interview with the Spanish-language network Telemundo gaining attention Wednesday, Dobbs told interviewer Maria Celeste he is one of the Latino community's "greatest friends" and appeared willing to embrace a form of amnesty he spent years criticizing.
"What isn't working is a penalty to those who are in this country illegally for whom we can both be building a bridge to the future in which there is legalization and at the same time constructing an environment in which everyone is clear and unequivocal about the need for boarder security and a regulated flow of immigration," Dobbs said.
Watch: Dobbs announces resignation from CNN
"I want to engage in a meaningful and constructive dialogue, and work with those who will work toward real solutions," the former CNN anchorman also said, maintaining his position on immigration hasn't changed despite what appears to be a more moderate stance. "I think we need to honestly come together, those who have differing views…and make some real progress toward an understanding a compromise for those who are in this country illegally."
Dobbs also brushed aside suggestions he is the "No. 1 enemy" of the Latino community, saying that image is a result of propaganda "efforts of the far left."
"Whatever you have thought of me in the past," Dobbs said, "I can tell you right now that I am one of your greatest friends and I mean for us to work together. I hope that will begin with Maria and me and Telemundo and other media organizations and others in this national debate that we should turn into a solution rather than a continuing debate and factional contest."
The comments come as Dobbs has fueled speculation the former anchorman may have his eye on politics as a second act, either in 2012 as a presidential candidate or as a challenger to New Jersey Sen. Robert Menendez, the only Hispanic in the Senate.
In an interview with Washington radio station WTOP Monday Dobbs said a 2012 run is "one of the discussions that we're having," though he did not indicate if he'd run as a Republican or third-party candidate.
Meanwhile, Robert Dilenschneider, a spokesman for Dobbs, told the New York Times Tuesday the former anchorman may take the "intermediary step" of challenging Menendez.
"I think Lou is realistically saying, that's a long way off, but if he did run for office there'd have to be an intermediary step, such as the Menendez seat," he said .
Dobbs amicably parted ways with CNN earlier this month. The former anchor's strong views on illegal immigration have made him a lightning rod for criticism from Hispanic groups, and a popular figure in some conservative quarters.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ssue/#comments
Old 11-26-2009, 04:14 AM

I would be banned if I made my true comments about that two face.

Last edited by Rim05; 11-26-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
I would be banned if I made my true comments about that two face.
Me too! It is unbelievable what mere hours and words can do in terms of how we feel about a person. Just a few days ago I thought he was the one to step up and save our country. Now He is just another toad in the pond.

I was going to buy premium access to his webpage but now? No way.

Where is our representation in this country? Most of the politicians are too busy
humbling themselves before illegal aliens while Americans suffer.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:49 PM
SOS Associate

I would remember a couple things when it comes to celebrities like Lou Dobbs,

They are primarily entertainers. Entertainers say and do the things that bring them popularity and fame. They do not always live and breathe what they say. It may surprise you to see that they are of a different mind off the set than on. When I was a kid, I went on one of those kids cartoon shows called "Captain Delta". Boy was I surprised to find out he was not a real captain, and didn't care for water at all.
We don't need any more actors in government. We need real statesmen with real principles and practical experience in management. Actors are too susceptible to corruption, and must rely on the kindness of strangers just to muddle through a real life situation. Very easy to exploit weaknesses like these.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:50 PM

I think that Dobbs is just another politician that will do or say anything to get a vote...just like a certain gubernatorial candidate we all know.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:09 AM

Default Question ?

I know that there are ALIPAC and Gheen supporters here and I am not being antagonistic. But based on some past unsavory events occurring in certain other "Minuteman" groups - a question.

In the Following article it seems to imply that $666,000 was collected for Lou Dobbs benefit to run for public office. Then the bombshell exploded and there is being expressed outrage, incredulity, shock, disillusionment and more .................... SO - now that Dobbs has been branded a despicable traitor can we assume that the $666,000 won't be given to him ? If so where will it go ?

Just asking. Of course if people are faith based and in blind trust then just ignore my question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INVASION USA

What the ... ? Lou Dobbs wants to legalize illegals
Ex-CNN anchor suddenly champions amnesty, ripped as 'pathetic sellout'

Posted: November 25, 2009
3:30 pm Eastern

By Joe Kovacs
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

Lou Dobbs

Former CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, the illegal immigration opponent with possible presidential aspirations, is stunning many today as he recasts himself as a champion of Hispanic immigrants, now looking to legalize millions of illegal aliens in the United States.

Despite his long-held opposition to "amnesty," Dobbs now actually supports a plan to legalize undocumented workers.

"Whatever you have thought of me in the past, I can tell you right now that I am one of your greatest friends and I mean for us to work together," he told Maria Celeste of the Spanish-language network Telemundo. (Click here for video of full interview.) "I hope that will begin with Maria and me and Telemundo and other media organizations and others in this national debate that we should turn into a solution rather than a continuing debate and factional contest."

"Many Hispanics consider you to be the No. 1 enemy of Latinos," Celeste told Dobbs. "Do you think that the community is somehow misjudging you?"

"Oh, not somehow. Definitively, absolutely," Dobbs responded. "By the way, I don't believe for a moment that the Latino, Hispanic community in the United States believes that of me at all. It has been the efforts of the far left to characterize me in their propaganda as such."

(Story continues below)

Twice during the interview, Dobbs mentioned plans to legalize millions of illegal aliens in America, saying "we need the ability to legalize illegal immigrants under certain conditions."

"What isn't working is a penalty to those who are in this country illegally for whom we can both be building a bridge to the future in which there is legalization and at the same time constructing an environment in which everyone is clear and unequivocal about the need for border security and a regulated flow of immigration," Dobbs told Telemundo.

Dobbs' spokesman Bob Dilenschneider told the Wall Street Journal the former broadcaster draws a distinction between illegal aliens who have committed crimes since arriving in the U.S. and those who are "living upright, positive and constructive lives" who should be "integrated" into society. He said Dobbs recognizes the political importance of Hispanics and is "smoothing the water and clearing the air."

Reaction from the public is already strong, including online comments such as:

"Obviously, the old boy is losing his wits. Never trust a politician, which is what Dobbs now is."
"Well at least his disingenuousness is in keeping with a politician. On CNN: 'I hate you dirty foreigners!' Preparing to run for office: 'I love you foreigners! And you're not that dirty!'"
"Just another pathetic sellout. Lou, don't bother."
"The only thing Dobbs had going for him was his anti-illegal stance. He just blew it. Otherwise he's just another pundit. He's suddenly Bill O'Reilly."
Dobbs, 64, of Wantage, N.J., has admitted an interest in politics, and the New York Times reports a run for the U.S. Senate is possible in 2012 before testing presidential waters.

The Americans for Legal Immigration Political Action Committee, or ALIPAC, was stunned by Dobbs' apparent reversal, especially after it set up a website urging him to run for the presidency or Senate, a site which to date collected more than $666,000 in donations."This news is going to break a lot of hearts in America. The American people are suffering so much and so many of us, myself included, believed in Lou Dobbs," said William Gheen, president of ALIPAC. "I am hurt, dismayed, angry, sad, exasperated, red faced, embarrassed, and more after seeing this video."

Gheen is now asking for feedback from the public on Dobbs' new remarks.

It was just last week that Dobbs abruptly left CNN after decades with the cable network. The anchor's refusal to drop "birther" stories about challenges to President Obama's constitutional eligibility to hold office was a major source of contention with CNN management, leading the unconventional journalist to walk away from the network and more than $9 million, according to the New York Post.

Last edited by wetibbe; 11-27-2009 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:46 AM

Is there any address or email where we can contact Dobbs? I deleted 'all' of anything concerning him when I heard about his change of heart. The Jerk sure did keep up his charade a long time. He is worse than McCain or Nappy. I wonder just who other than his new friends he thinks will support him?

Last edited by Rim05; 11-27-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:30 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post
I know that there are ALIPAC and Gheen supporters here and I am not being antagonistic. But based on some past unsavory events occurring in certain other "Minuteman" groups - a question.

In the Following article it seems to imply that $666,000 was collected for Lou Dobbs benefit to run for public office. Then the bombshell exploded and there is being expressed outrage, incredulity, shock, disillusionment and more .................... SO - now that Dobbs has been branded a despicable traitor can we assume that the $666,000 won't be given to him ? If so where will it go ?

Just asking. Of course if people are faith based and in blind trust then just ignore my question.
I'm not at all sure if that 666,000 is an accumulated figure of all collected since its' inception or just for the Dobbs run. I doubt it's the latter.

And it's not against policy to post questions like that here
Old 11-27-2009, 12:05 PM

The money was never collected. The money had been pledged or promised if Dobbs had decided to run for office. But after this Telemundo interview, the obligation is no longer expected to be valid and those promises are no longer expected to be honored.