Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > Immigration

Immigration Topics relating to the subject of US Immigration

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 PM

Default AZ State Sen. Russell Pearce Recalled

A black day for American nationalism: Patriot Russel Pearce AZ state senator who wrote the AZ 1070 law has been recalled in favor of GOP RINO Jerry Lewis. If this country can't bring itself to defend itself, we are screwed. More GOP surrender on the horizon. The breakup of this country is now assured. I think this is a pivotal moment. It's official: Americans have no stomach for the fight for America.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nati...n-arizona.html
Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 PM
SOS Associate

I followed the election during the night, and although quite disappointed in the outcome, don't really feel qualified to be the coroner. Event he LA Times article suggests his demise may not have been solely caused by his immigration crusade. I'm not an Arizonan, nor in his district, so I don't have the feel for it. Sure will miss reading about his exploits in the state legislature though, and it is also quite possible he may take up a role somewhere else that proves just as troublesome for our opposition.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:06 AM

Default Russell Pearce

I heard it on my TV news as soon as I woke up. That really put a damper on my day. The only thing worse was the results of our local elections here in New York.

The comments in the LA Times by the Democrat are typical and predictable. Same old, same old. Same Bull XXXX different day !!!! I surely do not buy the liberal, left diatribe. Russell wasn't an ideologue, he was a pure pragmatist that understood the situation very clearly and honestly.

I was, and am, a stalwart supporter of Russell Pearce. I agreed with his whole agenda on immigration.

I don't know Lewis but at least he is apparently a Republican. *****( He's a Mormon !!(( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_L...ona_politician))

It's apparent that we have too many of the wrong kind of people in our Nation. Sadly being a hard right wing Conservative doesn't get them elected. So - as William Buckley said: I vote for the most Conservative candidate that can get elected.

Just curious to know - how many illegal aliens voted and how many drug users and bandit contractors, employers, users of illegal alien labor ???

A-ha !!! The Church ---- never turn your back on those slime, wackadoodle religious spoilers. They, his own people, "back shot" him then jerked the rug.

Arizona recall: Why Russell Pearce lost

Posted by Rachel Weinerat 12:10 PM ET, 11/09/2011

Most coverage of Tuesday’s night’s recall of state Senate President Russell Pearce (R) in Mesa, Arizona has focused on the fact that Russell authored the state’s controversial immigration legislation.

Pearce was defeated by Republican Jerry Lewis, a charter school executive, in a Republican primary that many may see as a referendum on a harsh immigration law similar to the one signed by Gov. Jan Brewer (R) and challenged by the Obama administration in the courts.

Immigration was a factor in his defeat — in large part because the Mormon Church decided that it should be. But an ethics scandal and under-handed campaign tactics also played a role.

Arizona state Sen. Russell Pearce (R-Mesa) was ousted by a fellow Republican in a recall election on Tuesday Nov. 8, 2011. (Ross D. Franklin - AP Photo)

Lewis, the charter school executive who defeated him, is a conservative Republican not a moderate. He differs from Pearce on immigration less in policy than in tone and focus, something Democrats take as a victory.

"Arizona chose mainstream over extremism last night, dealing a blow to the Russell Pearce-style of Republican politics,” said Arizona Democratic Party spokesman Andy Barr. “We applaud the voters of Legislative District 18 for ending Pearce's disastrous reign over the Senate.”

The party did not play much in this race, although some Democrats did help get the recall on the ballot. This recall was part of an internal Republican — and in particular — Mormon debate over how to approach immigration.

Both Pearce and Lewis, are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Lewis is a former bishop and stake president. Mesa, founded by the church, is one of the most Mormon cities in the country.

Lewis recently called the controversial immigration law a “good start,” although he added that he would tackle the issue differently.

“We are seen as a very unfriendly business state” because of Pearce’s approach, Lewis said during the campaign. “We are seen as something akin to maybe 1964 Alabama.”

The Mormon church has been trying to reach out to Hispanic voters, and Pearce’s virulent anti-immigrant rhetoric, along with his divisive law, was seen as hurting that effort. Pearce has condemned the church for its anti-SB1070 stance and angered leaders by falsely claiming that he had their support.

"The Mormon church clearly percolated below the surface to make sure that its members knew that Russell Pearce was making their missionary efforts in Central and South America more difficult,” said Nathan Sproul, Republican strategist

Recall supporters said the Utah Compact — a Mormon model for more comprehensive immigration reform signed about a year ago — helped spark their campaign.

“I've heard [Mormon conservatives] say, 'We need to love people,' and 'We shouldn't be doing this to people,” one source told Religion Dispatches.

While Pearce had the support of prominent Republicans across the state, Lewis got the backing of local Mormon leaders.

There were also other issues dogging Pearce.

Pearce was caught up in a scandal earlier this year surrounding the Fiesta Bowl. He accepted and did not report nearly $40,000 in all-expense-paid junkets and college football tickets from Fiesta Bowl officials while helping steer state subsidies towards the game. Worse, he appears to have lied about receiving the illegal free tickets. The ethics scandal hurt his credibility with tea-party activists in the state.

Pearce also got a lot of blowback after allegations that his supporters put a third candidate, retiree Olivia Cortes, on the ballot to pull votes away from Lewis. Signs for Cortes that said “Si, Se Puede” (or “Yes, it can be done ) in particular inspired ire.

“That was a startling miscalculation,” said state Sen. Andy Biggs (R-Gilbert), a Pearce supporter.

Last edited by wetibbe; 11-10-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 AM

I was kind of surprised that no Democrat ran and the winner was a RINO GOP type who wants to "love" everyone.

I should have smelled a Republican Rat. How can we win if both parties combine to destroy us? It's really demoralizing.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Well does it surprise you that a non-profit church was behind this? It shouldn't. Unless there is something done to stop the 501c3 non-profits from illegally fixing political agendas, we will continue to see our lives manipulated by those that think they're holier-than-thou. This time it was the Mormons, but it is often the Catholics, Protestants, Christians, Muslims and most if not all of the other non-profits that profess to be "the moral voice". They often have their side kick non-profits that works at social engineering often by race or social class. Take the time to track down just who is on the boards of most non-profits, especially those supporting this invasion. You'll often find a trail right back to a church.

They should stick to saving souls; but that would mean they'd expect their rewards in the afterlife, and they just don't want to wait that long to become Ghandi's or Mother Teresa's.

Remember, when you contribute to your church; know exactly where that donation is going.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
Well does it surprise you that a non-profit church was behind this? It shouldn't. Unless there is something done to stop the 501c3 non-profits from illegally fixing political agendas, we will continue to see our lives manipulated by those that think they're holier-than-thou. This time it was the Mormons, but it is often the Catholics, Protestants, Christians, Muslims and most if not all of the other non-profits that profess to be "the moral voice". They often have their side kick non-profits that works at social engineering often by race or social class. Take the time to track down just who is on the boards of most non-profits, especially those supporting this invasion. You'll often find a trail right back to a church.

They should stick to saving souls; but that would mean they'd expect their rewards in the afterlife, and they just don't want to wait that long to become Ghandi's or Mother Teresa's.

Remember, when you contribute to your church; know exactly where that donation is going.
Good points all....as usual.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:47 AM

State Sen. Russell Pearce, in his Politico piece, also takes credit for a crime drop that began years before SB1070 was passed.