Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Communities and Quality of Life > Communities in Crisis

Communities in Crisis California cities, towns, and counties suffering under corruption, crime, foreign influence or economic loss

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 AM

Default Border Patrol IN San Juan Capistrano

ttp://www.ocregister.com/news/border-233915-patrol-mayor.html

Some business owners at a San Juan Capistrano shopping center say routine checks by the U.S. Border Patrol are scaring away customers and hurting their bottom lines.

Store owners at Alipaz Plaza at Del Obispo and Alipaz streets told Mayor Lon Uso during his Mayor's Walk this week that they want the city to ask the Border Patrol to stop going to the shopping center.
Article Tab : Isabel Rizo Patron tells San Juan Capistrano Mayor Lon Uso that she thinks the presence of U.S. Border Patrol agents at Alipaz Plaza, where she owns a beauty salon, is scaring away customers.
Isabel Rizo Patron tells San Juan Capistrano Mayor Lon Uso that she thinks the presence of U.S. Border Patrol agents at Alipaz Plaza, where she owns a beauty salon, is scaring away customers.

The Mayor's Walk is a monthly event organized by the San Juan Chamber of Commerce in which the mayor visits local businesses to hear their concerns. Wednesday afternoon's walk was the first for Uso, who became mayor in December.

"Last year I started hearing my customers say, 'Don't go to Alipaz Plaza, that's where (the Border Patrol agents) are hanging out,'" said Isabel Rizo Patron, owner of Isabel's Beauty Salon.

Rizo Patron said she has a diverse group of customers but that many of her clients are Hispanic and don't like to be in an area frequented by the Border Patrol.

The Border Patrol not only supervises border and interior checkpoints, such as the one a few miles south of San Clemente, but also inspects city streets much like a police force would, said Ralph Desio, a Border Patrol spokesman.

He said the Border Patrol often checks shopping centers throughout Orange County as part of an increased push to check for illegal goods and immigrants beyond the borders.

Uso listened to the concerns of Rizo Patron and others but said there's not much he can do when it comes to the agency formally known as U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

"We don't determine what they do or where they do it," Uso said.

Douglas Dumhart, the city's economic-development manager, who has been on many Mayor's Walks, said this is the first time he's heard of concerns about the Border Patrol's effect on commerce. But he said Alipaz Plaza has more Hispanic-based businesses than others that city and chamber officials have visited in the past.

The center contains a few Mexican food restaurants, hair salons, a discount store and a coin laundry.

Rizo Patron and Tuning Acosta, who has owned A-Team Enterprises Income Tax Services in the plaza for 15 years, said they understand that Border Patrol agents have a job to do, but they would prefer it be done somewhere else.

Word of even one Border Patrol visit can spread through the community and cause some people to perceive Alipaz Plaza as an unsafe place for them, Rizo Patron said. So they spend their money elsewhere.

Acosta, a paralegal who focuses on immigration law, said he is thinking about moving to another shopping center. The Border Patrol's effect, combined with the slumping economy, has decreased his client base by hundreds, he said.

The Border Patrol's Desio said the fear of customers who are staying away from the plaza "perhaps has reason."

"Perhaps their customers are here illegally," he said.

He added it is unlikely the agency will change its methods because of such concerns. If there were allegations of harassment or misconduct, the agency would take a closer look, he said.

"Patrolling a shopping center once or twice a month doesn't seem egregious," Desio said.

Acosta said he has seen agents in a clearly marked vehicle park near his business at least three times in the past couple of months. Desio said he could not say how many times agents have visited Alipaz Plaza because agency policies prohibit releasing data about Border Patrol whereabouts.

Some business owners were under the impression that the Border Patrol agents worked for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. But ICE spokeswoman Virginia Kice said ICE does not carry out general patrols but rather is typically in search of a specific person.

Ricarda Abiles, owner of the San Juan 99 Cent and Up store, said she has asked her landlord to talk to the Sheriff's Department and the city about the Border Patrol presence.

Uso told many of the business owners that though he is an immigrant (from Mexico), he can do nothing that might support illegal immigration.

"I hate to see businesses in my community suffering, but my hands are tied," he said.

Desio said complaints about the agency should go through the mayor and that if the mayor wants, he can write a letter expressing the concerns. However, Desio said, unless there is a strategy shift within the agency, not much will change.

"As much as these businesses are saying that just the mere presence of the Border Patrol is hurting them, there are people on the other side of the fence who'd like to see more patrols," Desio said.
Contact the writer: blevine@ocregister.com or 949-492-5135
Old 02-13-2010, 07:16 AM
SOS Associate

Lightbulb

gives me an idea. I'll get back to you on it soon
Old 02-13-2010, 07:51 AM

When people stay away from a place where there is LEO or Border Patrol, I would say there is only one reason. Just proves there should be more of LEO and BP in more places.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:18 AM

Yes, Rimo I thought the same thing.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 AM

Maybe it's time for a rally/protest there at that shopping center. They complain they're not making their usual money off the illegals, and basically saying screw the taxpayers who are subsidizing those illegals being here. Why don't those businesses start paying for the illegals full cost of education, medical, housing, food, legals expenses, jails, prisons etc. since those businesses are the ones making money off the them. Gosh I wish I lived closer to this shopping center, I'd be there with a sign in my hand today.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Someone might point out to this shopping center that the criminal aliens are scaring away American customers.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy63 View Post
Someone might point out to this shopping center that the criminal aliens are scaring away American customers.
Kathy, they really don't feel they need American customers any more. That is why you see signs in Spanish or what ever language they are catering to. When you see advertising in anything other than English you know that the area has been saturated to the point where having American English speaking customers isn't important or needed. It is really insulting and a slap in the face to this country.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:23 AM

A lot of them just don't care, some are hostile to white American presence.

I see the majority wanting to carry on as if they were in their home countries.

The LEO presence.

I view law enforcement as a necessary evil, something to keep a watch over and limit as a part of maintaining our freedoms while providing order.

What I see as a problem is when the police went from being "peace officers" to "law enforcement officers". It may have had to do with the gang problem, but in my mind something changed with the mentality of police officers between 1990 and 1993. Before then, you could talk to them, there's no talking to them now - it's like a missile lock mentality. Fire and forget.

I believe we have fed into a weakness of human nature, a little authority goes a long way. And with the 'round 'em up, lock 'em up and throw away the key mentality we inject into our politicians, our law enforcement, judiciary, and prosecutorial branches have been corrupted into profit making empires for those in position to take advantage of it.

Who wants to live in a "police state"? That's where it's going.

It's like a bad practical joke. The prank is funny if it's played on someone else, but it will piss you off if it happens to you.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 02-14-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:18 AM

Some of this is probably the product of the new generation of the officers and the new age of everything around us. Life is changing everyday(and not for better).