Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Default Chase orders Southlake bank to remove Christmas tree'

Chase orders Southlake bank to remove Christmas tree'
SOUTHLAKE -- Chase Bank told a businessman to remove the Christmas
tree he donated to a local branch because it could offend people.
Antonio Morales, owner of Bellagio Day Spa in Southlake, had assembled and decorated a 9-foot-tall tree in the lobby of the Chase Bank branch at
1700 E. Southlake Boulevard as a favor to the branch manager, who is one
of his clients.
The tree remained in the lobby from the Monday before Thanksgiving until Tuesday. Morales said his friend called him Wednesday to tell him the tree had to go. She later showed him an e-mail
from JPMorgan Chase saying that the tree had to be removed because some
people were offended by it.
The bank referred questions to corporate offices.
Greg Hassell, a JPMorgan Chase spokesman, said that the company's policy isn't anti-Christmas. "People wish their customers merry Christmas when
it's appropriate," he said.
However, to ensure that everyone who visits Chase branches feels welcome and comfortable, the bank's policy is to use only decorations supplied by the company.
"We appreciate the thoughtful gesture from Mr. Morales," Hassell said. "Unfortunately, we're unable to keep it [the tree] on display for the remainder of the
holiday season." JPMorgan Chase ensures that decorations are "something
everyone is comfortable with, regardless of how they celebrate the
season," Hassell said.
But others see the tree as a symbol of the season.
A spokeswoman at Trinity Bank in Fort Worth said it has had a tree in its lobby since the Friday after Thanksgiving.
"I've been in this business more than 30 years, and every place I've worked we've put up a Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving," said Linda
Robertson, assistant vice president.
Bryan Fischer, director of issue analysis for the American Family Association, called Chase's decision absurd.
"According to Advertising Age, 91 percent of American people celebrate Christmas," Fischer said. "That means that the single most inoffensive thing you can do at this time of
year is wish someone a merry Christmas."
Fischer said that companies that have gotten away from acknowledging Christmas claim that they do it because they want to be inclusive.
"The most inclusive thing you can do is wish someone merry Christmas," he said. "This means that Chase is running the risk of offending far more people by
disrespecting Christmas than they are by honoring it."
Hassell said that the Southlake branch was supplied with stickers that resemble Christmas lights. Company-supplied decorations vary at other branches,
he said.
"Normally they're small, not intrusive. I'm not sure this [Morales'] Christmas tree was intrusive. That's not really the issue here. It isn't a company-supplied decoration."
Hassell said the policy has been around for a few years, and that decorations change every year.
Morales said that he enjoys the Christmas season so much that he decorated 35 trees at his home.
"I'm known for my Christmas trees," he said.
In fact, Morales shared his talent this season with his landlord, a plastic surgeon.
"I put a tree up in his office," he said. "It doesn't offend him, and he's Jewish."
Terry Evans, 817-390-7620

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12...gan-chase-orde...
JP MORGAN CHASE:

Phone Number: 1 - 217 - 270 – 6000
Old 12-04-2010, 07:34 AM

That's pretty weird. A christmas tree isn't even a religious symbol unless you put religious symbols on it.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:18 AM

I'd probably put up another Christmas tree.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 AM

Most of the time I don't put a tree up any more. After reading that I got my artificial tree out and it is glowing every night now.