Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Elections, Politics, and Partisanship

Elections, Politics, and Partisanship Topics relating to politics, elections, or party affiliations of interests to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 08-23-2010, 03:15 PM
SOS Associate

Default Coming Soon To Your Elections - More Multilingual Ballots

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 11:40 AM
To: Voter Info
Subject: Questions

Is it possible for citizens to obtain voting ballots that do not contain
the confusing spanish language on them?

Quote:
Hi Mr. Rodrigues-

We are mandated by the US Department of Justice, under the Voting Rights
Act, to provide election materials in certain languages depending on how
many people per county list that language on their census forms.

As of now, Sacramento County is mandated to provide English and Spanish
but with the most recent census, there is the strong possibility that we
will have to provide more election materials in different languages.

We did try separating the two languages a couple of years ago and it
caused extra work for our department and a tremendous extra cost to the
county, as we had to ensure that we had enough election materials for
all. It is significantly cheaper for the county to combine the English
and Spanish languages onto one ballot or sample ballot booklet.

We realize it can get confusing with the two languages side by side.
Unfortunately, at this time, the county does not have the extra funds to
print and send out separate languages. It is possible, depending on the
newest census results, we might have to provide more languages. If that
happens, we will have to look at separating them all and find the money
for it somewhere.

I hope this has answered your question. If you have any other questions
or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Courtney Bailey
Election Assistant - County of Sacramento
(916) 875-6024
baileyc@saccounty.net

So there you have it: Immigration costs you dearly. Not just in monetary terms either. So to get a ballot printed in the official language of California only, we have to have enough foreign language speakers to warrant seperate ballot material. There's a catch 22 for you. But of course the real catch is illegals. Drop anchors here that are native born citizens who don't speak English; are taught in spanish, and are encouraged to retain their spanish speaking roots.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:50 PM

You have to speak English if you want to become a US citizen. You must be a US citizen to vote. So why do we need ballots in any other language besides English? If you can't speak English, you can't be a US citizen and you can't be eligible to vote.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 PM

I received a call yesterday from my friend who teaches ESL at the college. She said her enrollment is now between 11-13 students (the question of how many comes up because of a mistake and 2 students were enrolled incorrectly). So she may actually only have 11 students. The class requires she have at least 15 students. It is a 6 unit class which meets 2hrs a day, 5 days a week. So it is an expensive class. My friend told me that it costs what 3 English classes would cost and that there are not enough English classes to meet student demands. So she said she would understand is they canceled the class. She said they are laying off instructors right and left, so it would make perfect sense to cancel it.

What she's finally coming around to really agreeing with is my anger at those who could take advantage of this class and learn English, but they won't. My friend had signs printed up that cost her over $800 to advertise the ESL department at the college, but the cities in Ventura County didn't want them put up. They called the colleges president and complained. So my friend put an ad in a bilingual paper for $200, and the school told her to cancel it and not advertise.

The school would like to get rid of the ESL classes altogether because they're not considered academic. But what bothers me so much is that with a BOGG fee waiver the classes are basically free, and yet they still won't attend the classes and refuse to put the effort into learning English.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
You have to speak English if you want to become a US citizen. You must be a US citizen to vote. So why do we need ballots in any other language besides English? If you can't speak English, you can't be a US citizen and you can't be eligible to vote.
No Twoller, that was the point of my post above. We've been harboring illegals so long in this state that they've managed to spawn enough anchors that have lived within their enclaves of mexican culture to become a non english speaking section of California. They didn't have to pass a test to vote; They're natives now, and they are mexican speakers. And a million more are on the way.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:24 AM
SOS Associate

The mexicans continue to hold out on their own language, and the bureaucrats continue to cater

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/08/23/297...o-spanish.html

Quote:
RENO, Nev. -- For the first time in school history, the Nevada Wolf Pack's football games will be broadcast in Spanish this fall.

Groth says it's important to reach out to Spanish-speaking Nevadans as part of a school concept called "One Community, One Pack."
Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
No Twoller, that was the point of my post above. We've been harboring illegals so long in this state that they've managed to spawn enough anchors that have lived within their enclaves of mexican culture to become a non english speaking section of California. They didn't have to pass a test to vote; They're natives now, and they are mexican speakers. And a million more are on the way.
We don't have to settle for that. They are anchor babies, not citizens and to further support that, they don't speak English.

Why not make that clear, speaking English is not a way to flatter US citizenship, it is mandatory. If you cannot speak English, you cannot be a citizen. Time to ratchet it up a notch.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
We don't have to settle for that. They are anchor babies, not citizens and to further support that, they don't speak English.

Why not make that clear, speaking English is not a way to flatter US citizenship, it is mandatory. If you cannot speak English, you cannot be a citizen. Time to ratchet it up a notch.
Unfortunately, there is absolutely no barrier to citizenship as long as you are born here. This is a weakness the open borders lobby has been exploiting for decades. With that in place, finding every possible way to get foreigners here is their only other required component to the plan.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
Unfortunately, there is absolutely no barrier to citizenship as long as you are born here. ...
Do you settle for that? You have no opposition to that?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Do you settle for that? You have no opposition to that?
Opposition or not, that's the way it is.

There are people who have been NATURALIZED citizens for 30 and 40 years who don't speak English, and don't want to.

And, while I don't believe it is as severe as others do, I have met people who have graduated from US high schools who don't speak much English at all, right next to zilch.

My latest experience with all this (short story, there's much more to it to piss you off than I'm relating) was with a co-worker who barely spoke English. The company we were employed by paid him to go to ESL classes - he took the early time off but was busted going home on a regular basis instead of going to class. Eventually he was asked for documentation to prove that he was going to the classes, but never ponied it up. So eventually he was terminated from employment.

So, here is a guy who was too "proud" of his Mexican-ness to bow to English even while being paid to learn in addition to all the other scams he allegedly committed. And while most Mexicans are willing to work for peanuts, he was making good money - threw it all away in exchange for his concept of what it is to be "Mexican".

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 08-24-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
Opposition or not, that's the way it is.

I think it is a worthy target for confrontation. Who says we can't throw these people out too? The claims they make for their presence is a corruption on our constitution and our citizenship. It isn't necessary to respect the citizenship of people who have made false claims on it even though the authorities treat them like the real thing.

Language is the easy part. If you can't speak English, you can't be a US citizen. This is thinking that anyone who respects the integrity of their own citizenship can embrace.

But just because you are fluent in English, doesn't mean you can't be an illegal immigrant or make false claims on citizenship.