Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > Sports

Sports Topics relating to sports

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 11-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Adidas' Plan to Move NBA Jersey Production Overseas

Worker Blasts Adidas' Plan to Move NBA Jersey Production Overseas
By Joshua Rhett Miller
- FOXNews.com
The lone major sport with its roots in America could soon see its premier players dunking and driving to the hoop wearing uniforms made in Thailand, costing nearly 100 workers their jobs in upstate New York.
The lone major sport with its roots in America could soon see its premier players dunking and driving to the hoop wearing uniforms made in Thailand, costing nearly 100 workers their jobs in upstate New York.
Sports apparel giant Adidas plans to end its contract with Perry, N.Y.-based apparel supplier American Classic Outfitters (ACO), which currently manufactures more than half of the uniforms worn in the National Basketball Association.
And that's downright un-American, says Donna Wampole, who has worked at ACO, outside Buffalo, for 22 years. She says losing Adidas' business will undoubtedly hurt the company and will likely lead to layoffs.
"I think it's horrible," Wampole told FoxNews.com of the impending move. "They're American teams, they should all be wearing American garments."
Wampole, a production supervisor, said the company has been allotting shorter hours to employees in an effort to avoid job losses.
"They're worried, there's a lot of chatter," Wampole said. "We've been trying to shift work around and reduce people's hours to try and keep everybody employed. We're struggling."
New York Sen. Charles Schumer on Tuesday blasted Adidas' move as "short-sighted" and called on the compnay to reverse its decision.
"It is flat wrong for Adidas to move the production of jerseys worn by NBA players outside the United States when there are U.S. companies that have done this work so well and for so long," Schumer said in a statement to FoxNews.com.
"And to do it in this economic climate adds insult to injury. Basketball is a marquee American sport and the NBA is its premier stage."
Rob Knoll, ACO's senior vice president, told FoxNews.com that, barring new customers, 97 employees at the 200,000-square-foot New York plant could lose their jobs once Adidas moves its operations overseas, a decision Knoll said ACO officials learned just six weeks ago.
"We're working diligently with our sales people," Knoll said. "We do not want to close it. Our stance is will we not let this fail."
Knoll said some employees at the plant have nearly 40 years tenure. Nearly all have been "scared to death" since Adidas' plans have become public, he said.
"We're not going to allow this facility to fail," said Knoll, adding "it doesn't look good."
Schumer said ACO obtained a long-term contract with Adidas last year to become its exclusive provider of sports apparel. ACO then invested more than $1 million in facility improvements and equipment to produce NBA jerseys.
"The jerseys the NBA players wear should be made in the U.S.A, plain and simple," Schumer's statement continued. "From outfitting the original Dream Team to LeBron James to the WNBA, the workers right here in New York have produced a first-class product that has been a vital part of the sport's growing popularity."
Calls to the NBA seeking comment were not returned Tuesday. In a statement obtained by FoxNews.com, Adidas said it informed NCO of its decision in August.
"This decision is in line with both the company's product strategy of developing and introducing new, innovative materials and technologies to basketball uniforms, and the company's sourcing strategy of consolidating our supply chain," the statement read. "This decision is in no way a reflection on the capabilities or performance of ACO who has been a great partner for many years. The Adidas Group continues to produce uniforms for professional, college and other amateur teams at more than 30 facilities in North America and will continue to do so moving forward."
Schumer said that moving manufacturing overseas would deprive ACO of $7 million annually.
"To cut them off from the future growth of the sport is flat wrong," Schumer said in his statement. "Adidas must do the right thing and reverse this decision, and continue to produce all these jerseys domestically at ACO. To do anything else is an insult to the American worker and sports fans everywhere in America."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...tion-overseas/
Old 11-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Continent Thief

Couldn't the NBA use a different company?

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."
Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPhil View Post
Couldn't the NBA use a different company?
There aren't many companies left. Unless you consider American Apparel. Even the upscale designers are manufacturing overseas. That's how really bad it is.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 AM
"SZinWestLA"

The only thing that surprises me about this article is to learn that they weren't already being made overseas.

I'm sure this makes absolutely no one feel any better but I've been to Thailand and seen the shape that country is in. Believe me, they can use the work.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:35 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerailAmnesty.com View Post
The only thing that surprises me about this article is to learn that they weren't already being made overseas.

I'm sure this makes absolutely no one feel any better but I've been to Thailand and seen the shape that country is in. Believe me, they can use the work.
But just how much do the Thai's realize from that work? Isn;t there a huge, huge disparity between wages earned and company profit that dwarfs what goes on here? I know it sounds harsh to calculate whether that's the best scenario in comparison, but it might be best to figure in what the end result is, and that's empowerment of globalist eco-dominance.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:49 AM
"SZinWestLA"

Dude, I'm not a fan of our manufacturing businesses going overseas. Further, I'm not going soft and saying, Ah gee, they need it more than we do so let's not get too upset. Additionally, I'm aware that they get paid an hourly wage that makes a churro vendor in TJ look like Bill Gates in comparison.

I'm simply saying, I visited Thailand and saw the poverty and corruption there. Any work brought in by companies from outside that nation, the locals can desperately use.

Believe me, countries like Thailand and Laos (and Mexico to a lesser degree) are the best argument in favor of the notion that imperialism has gotten a bad rap.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:07 AM
SOS Associate

Let's ship 'em Mexicans instead. From what I'm told by cabinet level heads in the Obama administration, they're economic stimulators. They seem to think they are better than actual jobs

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 11-28-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 AM
"SZinWestLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
Let's ship 'em Mexicans instead. From what I'm told by cabinet level heads in the Obama administration, they're economic stimulators. They seem to think they are better than actual jobs

One of the concerns in my wife's home country is a shrinking population. Japanese are reproducing at an even slower rate than the Spaniards and folks in the Netherlands. In fact, the average married woman in Tokyo has 1.3 children (It is exceptionally rare that a female in that country has a child while unmarried).

I've often times told her that if the country would simply let us ship over all of the non-graduating students from a single senior class at any LAUSD high school of their choosing in the San Fernando Valley, the Japs could sit back and never worry about lack of babies again.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Believe me, countries like Thailand and Laos (and Mexico to a lesser degree) are the best argument in favor of the notion that imperialism has gotten a bad rap.
Please try and remember that the United States was born in a revolution against imperialism. Imperialism is the direct opposite of all of the values represented in everything good about the United States and its constitution. Imperialistic values are an infection on politics in the United States and is a good part of our immigration problems. A good example is our "territories" like Puerto Rico and other corruptions of US citizenship and borders.

Quote:
One of the concerns in my wife's home country is a shrinking population. Japanese are reproducing at an even slower rate than the Spaniards and folks in the Netherlands. In fact, the average married woman in Tokyo has 1.3 children (It is exceptionally rare that a female in that country has a child while unmarried).

Why is it that whenever a people refuse to breed like rodents, they are disparaged as if they are falling down on the job and represent a country in decline? The fact is that the planet and the economies that are necessary for basic human welfare are breaking down because of human over population. Countries that have slowing native population growth represent those countries best prepared for the long term future. Russia is another country that has a slowing native population growth. Social stability is best achieved by little or no population growth, especially since population growth has exploded world wide. We need to value more families who have only one child or none, in some cases. Especially where the parents have two or more siblings. And we need to restrict immigration from countries with high population growth.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Continent Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
Why is it that whenever a people refuse to breed like rodents, they are disparaged as if they are falling down on the job and represent a country in decline? The fact is that the planet and the economies that are necessary for basic human welfare are breaking down because of human over population. Countries that have slowing native population growth represent those countries best prepared for the long term future. Russia is another country that has a slowing native population growth. Social stability is best achieved by little or no population growth, especially since population growth has exploded world wide. We need to value more families who have only one child or none, in some cases. Especially where the parents have two or more siblings. And we need to restrict immigration from countries with high population growth.
There's only one problem with that, Twoller. What do you do about the illegals who reproduce at much greater rates than the rest of us and can potentially outpopulate us?

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."