Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 08-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Default Rep Miller (R) targeted by "Latino" activists

For once, David Olson of the Riverside County Press Enterprise wrote an impartial article...

This is a good one to read, full story: http://blog.pe.com/2013/07/31/immigr...-to-not-waver/

Some quotes which don't fill in the whole article:

Quote:
Immigration activists have been intensely targeting Rep. Gary Miller, R-Rancho Cucamonga, hoping that the pressure will lead him to support immigration reform with a path to citizenship for millions of undocumented immigrants.

Miller is viewed by some as the most vulnerable House member in the 2014 elections. Voters in his 31st congressional district in San Bernardino County voted for President Barack Obama over Mitt Romney by 16 points in 2012. Half his district’s residents – and about a third of voters – are Latinos, who typically vote lopsidedly for Democratic candidates.
Quote:
Beck acknowledged that Miller probably won’t receive a majority of the district’s Hispanic votes. But he doesn’t need a majority of Latino votes. If Miller wins a solid majority of non-Latino votes and receives a reasonable percentage of Hispanic votes, he can win, Beck argued.

The Hispanic vote is not monolithic. Nationally, Mitt Romney received about 27 percent of the Latino vote, and Beck said if Miller can get a similar percentage of Hispanic votes, he’d have a good chance at winning.
Quote:
Immigrant-rights and Latino organizations know that, and they’ve been registering voters and holding citizenship workshops for months, to boost the number of Latino voters. A canvassing and voter-registration drive Saturday in Miller’s district by several organizations supporting a path to citizenship is the latest effort.
Quote:
Last week, the Democrat-aligned House Majority PAC began airing ads on Spanish-language television assailing Miller for his positions and votes on immigration.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 08-04-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:14 PM

So they're targeting Rep. Miller.

Miller is also not holding any town hall meetings.

I've checked Numbers USA's list of town hall meetings, and the only Congressmen in California on the list, that is holding town hall meetings is McClintock.

My Contact at FAIR says "all" the Congressmen are hiding out.

It seems Miller doesn't want to publicly advocate any pro amnesty or anti amnesty positions. That's what McKeon, Issa, and McCarthy are doing, staying quiet and laying low.

Issa came out for the Dream act months ago, and although McCarthy's office is denying it, I've read many articles that McCarthy is working behind the scenes to increase H1-B visas and Guest workers.

Guys, I don't think any of this is good. It's becoming more obvious to me that the Republican Congressmen are caving on amnesty.

I'm going into McKeon's office on Monday (tomorrow), with a list of questions,and a sack lunch and I'm not leaving until I get some answers.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:27 AM

Greg, you are a tireless fighter but, I hope you also take a change of clothes. I think there are only two things politicians care about, MONEY AND VOTES. That is true of the whole gang. Good Luck.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 AM

I went to Howard McKeon's office today, video camera in hand.

I walked in unannounced, with my sack lunch just in case.

I spoke to their local immigration representative. She was startled by the surprise visit and wouldn't speak for the Congressmen, but her tone implied McKeon was willing to vote for some type of legalization for illegal aliens, but not citizenship. She asked me what organizations I belonged too, I told her Numerbers USA, FAIR, and Save our State. She said she had never heard of those organization. She then called a McKeon legislative aid in Washington, and we had a conference call with them.

I was in the office for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

The legislative aid in Washington, that I was connected with was named Robert Yavor . He also had no information as to Congressmen McKeon's position on my questions. He wanted to know my position on those questions, I told him that Americans and Republicans were adamantly opposed to any type of legalization for illegal aliens.

I asked the legislative aid if McKeon was willing to support Eric Cantors "Dream Act" legislation? His response was "I do not know".

I asked him if McKeon was working to increase H1-B visas? Same answer, Don't know.

I asked if McKeon was supportive of any type of legalization for illegal aliens, same answer; don't know.

Is the congressmen willing to pledge to vote against any type of legalization for illegal immigrants: No comment.

I told the aid about our concerns that should any immigration legislation pass the House, we will betrayed in the conference committee with Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer and the bill will come back amnesty.

I also told him that the fact that Congressmen McKeon wasn't in Santa Clarita scheduling a town hall meeting, and had not issued any statements about the pending legislation showed that McKeon wasn't interested in hearing the voices of constituents, and was getting weak on the issue.

Later on during the meeting, the representative got a call from the DC office about my visit, she went to another room to take it privately.

I thanked her for meeting with me, but told her my questions were not answered and I might have to come back. She asked me not to post any video images of her, I told her that I couldn't guarantee that.

Over all the surprise of the visit, and the video camera was the only impact the meeting made. I only wish a dozen more people would make surprise visits to the office, as that would have hammered the message home.

Last edited by Greg in LA; 08-05-2013 at 11:25 AM.