Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > Immigration

Immigration Topics relating to the subject of US Immigration

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 PM
SOS Associate

Default June 5th Arizona Event Reports Showing On Net

I've been running a few searches, and thus far there are but a few news media reports on the event today in Arizona. So far it's been limited to the same two articles being republished by many. It's described as hundreds attending, and then they compare it to twenty thousand from the oppositions marches last month.
I've seen Robin Hvidston's picture included in some of them, but that's the extent of people I know thus far.
107 degrees today there

Here's a news clip with a video in this link:

http://www.orlandopoliticalpress.com...migration-law/

Last edited by Ayatollahgondola; 06-05-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:00 AM

Default Never trust the media !

Immigration law supporters rally at Ariz. Capitol
By MICHELLE PRICE (AP) – 12 hours ago

PHOENIX — Hundreds of people supporting Arizona's new law cracking down on illegal immigration rallied near the state Capitol on Saturday afternoon as temperatures reached 105 degrees.

Hundreds of motorcycle riders kicked off the downtown Phoenix rally by riding in a procession around the Capitol. Supporters waved American flags and some carried signs that read "What part of illegal don't they understand?"

The rally's turnout fell far short of the march organized by opponents of the law last weekend, when an estimated 20,000 people gathered.

Demonstrators on Saturday sweated in temperatures predicted to reach as high as 107 degrees. Some shaded themselves with umbrellas and clamored to buy cold water and ice cream from vendors.

"For them to come here when it's over 100 degrees and stand in the heat — it's awesome," said 32-year-old Stephanie Colbert of Glendale.

Colbert and her mother, 53-year-old Pattie Sheaham of Phoenix, said they strongly support the new law, which requires police conducting traffic stops or questioning people about possible legal violations to ask about their immigration status if there is "reasonable suspicion" they're in the country illegally. Reasonable suspicion is not defined.

"Everybody needs to obey the same laws," Sheaham said. "If you want to come here, there's ways to do it. Do it the right way."

The law, which goes into effect July 29 unless blocked by a court, will also make it a state crime to be in the country illegally or to impede traffic while hiring day laborers, regardless of the worker's immigration status. It would become a crime for illegal immigrants to solicit work.

Critics have said the law will invite racial profiling, while supporters have said it will help fight illegal immigration.

Gov. Jan Brewer has ordered a state police training board to prepare training standards to prevent racial profiling in enforcing the law.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, perhaps best known for his efforts targeting illegal immigrants, drew loud chants of "Joe, Joe, Joe!" from the crowd.

One man yelled to him: "We've got your back, Joe!"

Arpaio praised lawmakers for passing the law and reiterated that he'll lock up as many illegal immigrants as his deputies can arrest.

"We'll put tents from here to Mexico," he told the crowd, referring to his famed Tent City, a section of the county jail where all inmates are housed in surplus military tents.

The Pennsylvania-based group Voice of the People USA organized the demonstration, which it touted as a grassroots effort. Attendees traveled from every region of the U.S., Voice of the People president Daniel Smeriglio said.

Former Republican Congressman Tom Tancredo of Colorado and GOP state Sen. Russell Pearce of Mesa, the author of the law, also were scheduled to speak.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...Pp4FgD9G5ENN80
Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 AM
SOS Associate

95% of what there is in circulation this morning about this event is derived from one or two articles written and released by the AP. This is not a good situation. The AP didn't massacre our side on this one, but to have one source spreading the news to every state and local outlet is just plain troubling and ripe for misuse. We've still got a big problem. This is precisely what happened before with the issue in that the big money people were able to get ahold of the key players and manage the issue to their desires. Our interests got a good thing going out there in AZ, and if we don't find a way to keep the news media from doing damage control it may just wind up back in the hands of McCain, Graham, Obama, and Mexico.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:05 AM

Photos, lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/america...577843/detail/

An old friend of ours ? a rising star?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Continent Thief

Was anyone here there besides me? I'm still looking for a thread on the event itself.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."
Old 06-06-2010, 05:43 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPhil View Post
Was anyone here there besides me? I'm still looking for a thread on the event itself.
Jean was there, but she's probably still in transit. Otherwise, there is no thread of its' own yet
Old 06-06-2010, 05:53 PM

Hello everyone, I just returned from Phoenix. My god it was hot!!!!!! Yes, it was over 107 degrees, with VERY LITTLE SHADE!!!!!!! The medics were handling people right and left with heat stroke. I myself got real dizzy twice and almost landed up the same way. At one point I couldn't even walk ten feet in the sun, because as soon as I got out of the semi-shade I got dizzy.

There was a real problem with the video camera, something out of my hands that I had no control of. So sorry I don't have any videos, but Digger of Diggers Realm and Ruth his girl friend said the would send us some to post. I'll try to contact them later as soon as I unload the car and settle in.

The reports were there were two thousand, but I say there were at least twenty-five hundred, maybe three thousand. I went up with a group of seven women (Chelene's buddies I might add).
Old 06-06-2010, 06:04 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
(Chelene's buddies I might add).
Yikes! Hope there wasn't an inquisition.

glad to see you're back in piece. I knew they were lying to us about the numbers, I just knew it
Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
Yikes! Hope there wasn't an inquisition.

glad to see you're back in piece. I knew they were lying to us about the numbers, I just knew it
And they all had their shots.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Continent Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
Hello everyone, I just returned from Phoenix. My god it was hot!!!!!! Yes, it was over 107 degrees, with VERY LITTLE SHADE!!!!!!! The medics were handling people right and left with heat stroke. I myself got real dizzy twice and almost landed up the same way. At one point I couldn't even walk ten feet in the sun, because as soon as I got out of the semi-shade I got dizzy.
Hey, Jean, I looked all over for you but never found you. I was told you were moving around a lot. Anyway, yes, it was hot, which is why I only stayed for an hour. I figured it wasn't really worth getting a heat stroke to stay the full three hours, and I'm not surprised to hear that was happening to other people. I also totally forgot to bring a hat, so I figured that wasn't going to help either.

Anyway, I arrived just a little before the starting time (3:00), after being held up by the motorcycle procession at about three separate intersections. I figured they were there for the rally, so I didn't begrudge them the delay. I got to hear a few speeches, including one by Tom Tancredo that was absolute dynamite! He joked about how since Phoenix was apparently the kidnapping capital of the country that the "real" John McCain had probably been kidnapped seeing as how he conveniently changed his stance on illegal immigration. He also bashed Barack Obama and called him dangerous, which delighted me. And every time a speaker mentioned the name of Janet Napolitano there was a chorus of loud boos.

I managed to find a few familiar faces, including Lupe Moreno, who was also one of the speakers, Robin Hvidston, and Jeremy and Heather (AKA: GSB and Jalira). I chatted briefly with all of the above. Jeremy and Heather said they'd about had it with California and are now living in Arizona. I also found Chelene and talked with her for a while about old times and things. In case any of you are wondering, neither of us told any tales out of school.

There was one disturbing bit of information I picked up, that is, if it's true. I stopped to talk with a fellow who was supporting a candidate for governor of Arizona who happens to be named Dean Martin. I asked the guy what he had against Governor Brewer, and he said that the governor was actually late to the party with SB1070 and had been a professional politician much like John McCain when it came to the illegal immigration issue until just recently. He said he was supporting Martin because he was a true conservative, as opposed to Brewer, who had been more or less of a party hack. Oh, well.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."

Last edited by LAPhil; 06-06-2010 at 07:52 PM.