Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Religion

Religion Topics and information of interest to SOS associates in regards to religion

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 AM

Bend over America! Do what other countries want us to do. I'm sick of the threats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of what is being told to us, has been said already. Way before the Quran situation! I will not apologize for being an American or a Christian. If everyone is so concerned then black the news out! Don't talk about it or print it!
I'm not saying that I agree with what this church is doing, but what about what some of this terrorists are doing? Planning to do, or stopped before they did do it.
God Bless America!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 AM

Burning Korans in some small church is not going to make any difference anywhere and anyone who tells the public that it will make a difference is lying or worse.

There is nothing to be gained in good behavior to Muslims. All they do is see it as a sign of weakness. The Koran is the problem, the Koran is the source of Islamic "radical" ideology. The "moderate" Muslims are the ones who disagree with or don't care about their own scripture.

As a general principle, I don't hold with the burning of any books, whether they be by Voltaire or they be "the Protocols of the Elders of Zion". But the Koran is the source of the global terrorist front that the world is suffering from.

It's about time somebody threw the gauntlet down.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 AM

We can look at it another way.

Say there will be no international consequences perpetrated by ignorant third worlders goaded by religious extremists in exchange for an old fashioned, guantlet throwing, book burning bonfire in Florida.

Who is the winner and who is the loser?

The winner is going to be the publisher of those Korans. And who publishes Korans?

The losers are going to be anyone who puts out money to buy bonfire bound Korans. Ever set a hundred dollar bill on fire while financially awarding your avowed enemy?

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 09-10-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 AM

The latest reports are that the burning is "on hold". We will see tomorrow. I hope they do it, it needs to be done.

But why should it all be on this one little community? It's a heavy burden for one little church to bear all by itself. If I could get my hands on a Koran, I'd burn one myself. It is an evil book that promotes evil beliefs and the world is suffering at the hands of those who promote it the most passionately.

They are rioting already at the mere threat of burning a Koran, but of course these are the same murderers who riot over political cartoons about Islam too. Nothing unusual happening there.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
The latest reports are that the burning is "on hold". We will see tomorrow. I hope they do it, it needs to be done.

But why should it all be on this one little community? It's a heavy burden for one little church to bear all by itself. If I could get my hands on a Koran, I'd burn one myself. It is an evil book that promotes evil beliefs and the world is suffering at the hands of those who promote it the most passionately.

They are rioting already at the mere threat of burning a Koran, but of course these are the same murderers who riot over political cartoons about Islam too. Nothing unusual happening there.
Korans are on the shelf down at the bookstore, tightwad.

Or you can order online.

As mercenary as some are concerning the dollar, I'm surprised that someone hasn't exchanged that goofy white Pakistani Muslim hat for a fedora and a Marx brothers "disguise" and called the church's bluff by driving a truckload of marked up Korans down to that church to sell for the bonfire.

And if anyone wants torch those Korans while they are still in the truck or jack up the driver/seller, it becomes a "hate crime".

Hay burros en el maiz

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

Last edited by ilbegone; 09-10-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 PM

So the pastor pulled out. He got a plane ticket to New York instead.

Quote:
Further protests over Koran burning

Paul J. Richards/AFP

image: Pastor Terry Jones speaks outside the Dove World Outreach Center on September 10, 2010 in Gainesville, Florida.

KABUL —Afghans protested violently for the third day on Sunday despite a U.S. pastor giving up plans to burn copies of the Koran, with three other cases of desecration of the Muslim holy book likely to stoke their anger further.

Two protesters were shot and killed in eastern Logar province, a district official said, taking to three the death toll in protests staged since Friday.

The furore over pastor Terry Jones’s plans to burn copies of the Koran, a grave insult to Muslims who believe it to be the literal word of God, overshadowed the lead-up to commemorations for the Sept. 11 hijacked airliner attacks on the United States.

Ceremonies in the United States on Saturday marked the ninth anniversary of the attacks by al-Qaeda, which led to the toppling of the Taliban by U.S.-backed Afghan forces in late 2001 because the hardline Islamists had harboured Osama bin Laden’s group.

Mr. Jones’s plan and proposals to build an Islamic cultural centre and mosque near the site of the toppled World Trade Center in New York highlighted a growing debate in the United States about religious tolerance.

Hundreds of people favouring and opposing the cultural centre and mosque gathered in New York for peaceful rallies hours after ceremonies in the city — and in Washington and Pennsylvania — to mark the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people.

Word of the intention to burn the Koran had already triggered outrage in Afghanistan and across the Muslim world.

President Barack Obama warned it could hurt the United States deeply abroad, endanger U.S. troops in Afghanistan and risk attacks in U.S. and European cities.

In Afghanistan, angry protesters chanting “Death to America” and “Death to Christians” before clashing with security forces in Logar, south of the capital.

Seven demonstrators were wounded, one seriously, when Afghan security forces opened fire to disperse hundreds of protesters marching to Pul-e-Alam, the capital of Logar, officials said.

Mohammad Rahim Amin, chief of Baraki Barak district just west of Pul-e-Alam, said two of the wounded died later in hospital.

The protesters threatened to attack foreign military bases. There are almost 150,000 foreign troops fighting a growing Taliban-led insurgency in Afghanistan, where violence is at its worst since the hardline Islamists were ousted.

“The governor must give us an assurance that the church is not going to burn the Koran, otherwise we will attack foreign troop bases in our thousands,” protester Mohammad Yahya said.

Major Patrick Seiber, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan’s east, said ISAF was aware of more protests in Logar on Sunday, but put the crowd at about 100, some wielding sticks and throwing stones.

Four demonstrators were wounded in Logar on Saturday, a day after a protester was shot dead when an angry crowd attacked a German-run ISAF base in Faizabad in northeastern Badakhshan province, one of many protests across the country.

Protests had eased later on Sunday, but could spark up again as news filters through of reported desecrations of the Koran in the United States.

While Mr. Jones abandoned his plan, there were at least two incidents of abuse of the Koran in Lower Manhattan in New York on Saturday. Two evangelical preachers not affiliated with any mainstream church burned two copies of the Koran in Tennessee.

Protests over perceived desecration of Muslim symbols have led to dozens of deaths in Afghanistan in recent years, including after a Danish newspaper published a cartoon depicting the Prophet Mohammad in 2005.

On Thursday, the United Nations’ top diplomat in Afghanistan said the protests risked delaying Afghanistan’s Sept. 18 parliamentary election.

The election is seen as a key test of stability in Afghanistan before Mr. Obama conducts a strategy review of the increasingly unpopular war in December.

Mr. Obama, who has sought to improve ties with the Muslim world frayed by wars in Iraq and Afghanistan since the Sept. 11 attacks, stressed religious tolerance in remarks at a memorial service in Washington on Saturday.

© Thomson Reuters 2010
Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
So the pastor pulled out. He got a plane ticket to New York instead.
Which is what he should have done to begin with instead of setting himself up to be a loser. Whether or not he burned any Korans or merely meant it as a publicity stunt, he's a loser either way.

Hay burros en el maiz

Don't drink and post.