Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > California Schools

California Schools Topics And Information Relating To California Schools

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Default LAUSD chief aims to bounce weak teachers

Large article

For whole piece: http://www.dailynews.com/ci_14022021

Quote:
LAUSD chief aims to bounce weak teachers

By Connie Llanos, Staff Writer

12/17/2009

Los Angeles schools chief Ramon Cortines said Thursday that he's done "coddling" under-performing teachers and plans to streamline district operations to ensure sub-par educators are removed from the classroom.

Cortines' statements came as the district faces a massive budget deficit that could lead to layoffs of 5,000 employees, including 1,500 teachers, next year.

Under current rules, the pink slips would go first to the newest teachers, even as dozens of chronically poor-performing teachers — some who have been removed from classrooms for egregious behavior — continue to stay employed due to their tenured status.

While tenure will remain protected under state law, Cortines intends to require administrators to be tougher about recommending the dismissal of tenured teachers who receive "below standard" evaluations for two years or more. This year 48 LAUSD teachers fall in that category

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
Large article

For whole piece: http://www.dailynews.com/ci_14022021
Well that's encouraging. But I'll believe it when I see it. And what would they consider poor preforming? Is it because they aren't indoctrinating them properly or could it be that their students aren't learning anything else?

The whole teaching philosophy is so out of touch with what a student needs to be productive, that the schools need to do a hell of a lot of cleaning. But removing bad tenured teachers is a start, but only a start.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
Well that's encouraging. But I'll believe it when I see it. And what would they consider poor preforming? Is it because they aren't indoctrinating them properly or could it be that their students aren't learning anything else?

The whole teaching philosophy is so out of touch with what a student needs to be productive, that the schools need to do a hell of a lot of cleaning. But removing bad tenured teachers is a start, but only a start.
You are very insightful, but you overlook the fact that it's students who curse and threaten violence against teachers, and not usually the other way around. I have mixed feelings about this Cortinas guy. Whey liberals masquerade as human beings, there is usually some ulterior motive.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
You are very insightful, but you overlook the fact that it's students who curse and threaten violence against teachers, and not usually the other way around. I have mixed feelings about this Cortinas guy. Whey liberals masquerade as human beings, there is usually some ulterior motive.
I have mentioned the violence before in other posts, don't want to repeat it. But it is the philosophy of the education system that gave the power to the students in the first place. Thereby letting them run amok and take control. We can actually go back and point the finger on who and when it started, both the tenure and the student control. It started with the Beats in Berkeley in the mid 60's. That's a fact and many regret giving into them and allowing this to happen. Now they're crying they need to get control back and clean the whole system. Good luck with that, because by the time they come to terms with the root cause and actually do something about it, if they ever do, three generations will be lost and have become practically illiterate or just totally ignorant. I don't give it much hope.