Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > Immigration

Immigration Topics relating to the subject of US Immigration

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Default Why was 4-year-old American girl deported?

Why was 4-year-old American girl deported?
Editor's note: Ruben Navarrette Jr. is a CNN.com contributor, a nationally syndicated columnist and an NPR commentator.
San Diego (CNN) -- Under our system, two things are crystal clear: Law enforcement agencies are required to treat children with more care than adults, and U.S. citizens have certain rights that are not to be abridged -- including the right to due process.
Just don't try telling any of that to the parents of Emily Ruiz. They know better. Those principles didn't apply in the case of the 4-year-old from Brentwood, New York, who -- after traveling to Guatemala to visit relatives with her grandfather -- was denied entry into the United States on March 11 by U.S. Customs and Border Protection and instead sent back to Guatemala.
That is no way to treat a U.S. citizen. You see, while both of her parents are illegal immigrants, Emily was born in the United States and so she is a U.S. citizen. That is supposed to mean something in this country. At the very least, it should mean that authorities shouldn't have done anything more than greet the little girl with a polite and sincere: "Welcome home."
Instead, according to her family's attorney, Emily was detained alone for several hours at Dulles International Airport while authorities tried to figure out what to do and while her grandfather was treated for what seemed to be a panic attack.
"It's outrageous," David Sperling, the family's attorney, told me. "Effectively, she (Emily) was deported. They treated her like an 'anchor baby,' like a second-class citizen. I can't imagine that they would treat any other U.S. citizen this way."
Speaking of so-called anchor babies, an offensive term used by some on the right to describe the U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants who supposedly keep their parents anchored in the United States, this case shows that the whole concept is bogus. Emily couldn't even keep herself anchored in the United States, let alone her parents.
I asked Sperling if he believed that Emily was treated shoddily because she is Latina.
"Absolutely," he said. "If this was a Caucasian girl from some European country, this would never have happened."
According to multiple accounts, here is what happened. At the end of their stay in Guatemala, Emily and her grandfather boarded a plane to return to New York. The grandfather had a work visa and a notarized letter from Emily's parents authorizing him to travel with her. The girl had a U.S. passport. But because of bad weather, the flight was diverted to Washington.
When the two landed there, and went through the processing for re-entry in the United States, it was discovered that the grandfather's visa was no longer valid and that he had a prior arrest for illegal entry in the 1990s. Agents took him into custody and prepared to deport him back to Guatemala.
But what about Emily? When she and her grandfather didn't get off the plane in New York, her father, Leonel, called the airline, and a representative told him that U.S. immigration officials had detained his loved ones in Washington. So then the father called the immigration officials. And, when he was asked about his own immigration status and that of his wife's, he acknowledged that they were both undocumented.
According to Sperling, the father then was given a choice: Emily could be left in a children's detention facility or sent back to Guatemala with her grandfather. The father said he would prefer that Emily stay with her grandfather, and so Emily was deported from the country -- her country.
But oddly enough, the attorney said, the one option the father wasn't given was to go pick up his daughter in Washington. That's what he planned to do, he told The New York Times, but he was never given the chance. (The same article said that officials at Customs and Border Protection gave Ruiz the opportunity to collect her at the airport.)
Officials with Customs and Border Protection declined to comment to me on the record. The best they would do is a statement sent to news agencies declaring that "CBP strives to reunite U.S. citizen children with their parents," without actually saying that it happened in this case.
Sperling told me he plans to travel to Guatemala next week to retrieve Emily.
The idea of an illegal immigrant voluntarily meeting with U.S. immigration officials is not as far-fetched as you might think. Leonel Ruiz is an illegal immigrant, but he is also a father. Besides, if he had come forward, according to immigration lawyers and immigration enforcement officials I've spoke to over the years, he might not have been apprehended and deported. Immigration officials have wide discretion, and they don't have to deport every illegal immigrant with whom they come into contact.
Don't lose sight of the facts through the PR. Or is it CYA? Even if it's true that that Emily's father gave permission for the government to send his daughter back to Guatemala, that doesn't let U.S. officials off the hook. Emily is a minor, but she is also a U.S. citizen with a right to due process -- what Thomas Jefferson called an "inalienable" right granted her not by her father but by her creator.
It's not fair or appropriate for Customs and Border Protection to pawn off the awesome responsibility of whether Emily stays in the United States or goes back to Guatemala to the father just so they can wash their hands of this case and claim they were just following orders.
There are established rules and procedures for how U.S. immigration enforcement agencies are supposed to deal with minors, and those guidelines are set by years of legal precedent. Most of them deal with minors who are in the country illegally and yet still have rights. U.S. citizens have even more rights.
The unanswered question in this case is whether Customs and Border Protection followed those rules and its own procedures and did everything it could to reunite Emily with her family. It doesn't look like it. Rather it looks like U.S. immigration officials couldn't wait to get this girl on a plane and get her off their hands.
What has happened to our country? Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano seems to brag about the Obama administration's record number of deportations every few weeks, to counter claims that her department is soft on illegal immigration. Has the administration so depleted the pool of illegal immigrants that it's moved on to deporting U.S. citizens?
The Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs should look into this case, and the Department of Homeland Security should launch an internal investigation. And if it is ultimately decided that Customs and Border Protection officials acted hastily and irresponsibly, they should lose their jobs --as swiftly and as easily as Emily Ruiz lost the freedom that was her birthright.
The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Ruben Navarrette Jr.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/03/2...iref=obnetwork
Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Thumbs down

She wasn't deported Grandpa made the choice.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
As seen on TV!

"Leonel Ruiz is an illegal immigrant, but he is also a father".

And your point is?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Patriotic Pragmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Bunny View Post
"Leonel Ruiz is an illegal immigrant, but he is also a father".

And your point is?

rotten tomatoes are fruits, but they can also be thrown at illegals ...
it's funny how those most aggresive of neo-con warhawks, refuse to acknowledge the war of invasion at our border. It almost seems as if they're worried about defending an entirely different country than our own.
it's time to put America first.

SMASH THE REDS! LIBERAL PROGRESSIVES: FLEE!

Arizona has spoken. Will America listen?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Flag Republican View Post
rotten tomatoes are fruits, but they can also be thrown at illegals ...
Olympic and Broadway in downtown LA at 10:00am on May first would be a good time and place to throw rotten tomatoes at illegals. The area will be target rich.

Why don't you give it a try - and have someone film you doing it. Let us know how it goes and post the heroic video on Utube with a link here so we can share in the fun too.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 04-08-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Patriotic Pragmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
Olympic and Broadway in downtown LA at 10:00am on May first would be a good time and place to throw rotten tomatoes at illegals. The area will be target rich.

Why don't you give it a try - and have someone film you doing it. Let us know how it goes and post the heroic video on Utube with a link here so we can share in the fun too.
It has crossed my mind that you're a federal agent attempting to entrap or ensnare anyone who makes a random rhetorical comment after a hard day of life in a 98% hispanic area, by goading them into activities which might get them prosecuted/persecuted by the powers what be.
Your sympathy for the illegals gave you away. Prove me wrong if I am. And I may or may not make it down there, depending who else shows / what I have planned that day. There's a big event at my church that day, and family coming from out of town ...
it's funny how those most aggresive of neo-con warhawks, refuse to acknowledge the war of invasion at our border. It almost seems as if they're worried about defending an entirely different country than our own.

Last edited by Bear Flag Republican; 04-09-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:50 AM

Default Tear jerker.

Am I supposed to be touched by the sob story?

Technically the little girl has been given US Citizenship, but clearly not a citizenship in accordance with the Constitution.

I have a basic and elementary disdain for the slobbery limp, left, liberals who profess indignation at our law enforcement who are doing a good job.

" He who seeks equity must come with clean hands".

* The mother and father are both illegal aliens whose first act was to violate the laws of our country.

* We can only speculate about stolen ID, social security numbers, working under the table, tax evasion, welfare checks, prenatal care, hospital costs, food stamps, illegal housing, driving without license or insurance and state entitlements that net, on average, $10,000 annually per child plus the medical and hospital costs on top.

* The unpaid customs fine $5,000 for entering at other than a designated entry point. The unpaid immigration fine.

*The grandfather had an expired visa and an arrest warrant out on him.

The kid is no more an American than her parents. She is a Guatemalan who is here only due to a fluke that some judge created by misinterpreting the 14Th amendment.

I won't be shedding any crocodile tears.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Flag Republican View Post
It has crossed my mind that you're a federal agent attempting to entrap or ensnare anyone who makes a random rhetorical comment after a hard day of life in a 98% hispanic area, by goading them into activities which might get them prosecuted/persecuted by the powers what be.
Your sympathy for the illegals gave you away. Prove me wrong if I am. And I may or may not make it down there, depending who else shows / what I have planned that day. There's a big event at my church that day, and family coming from out of town ...
What deductive powers you have...

And I've experienced that

Quote:
hard day of life in a 98% hispanic area,
in the San Fernando Valley, downtown LA, and much of the rest over a wide swath of California. I've been to their houses and worked in their literal back yards as well as having been surrounded by them all day long - including as co-workers.

And the woman who shares my bed is a first generation American. Her parents, both born in Mexico, came here as children according to the legal standards of their time - her father as an orphan, and it was a hard life.

Every illegal who has come to this country as an adult needs to be deported, whether I Individually like or despise any of them. There's been too much damage. However, illegals are the symptom of the disease - they are right in front of us. However, if there is anyone to hate with an undying passion it is the politicians who sold you down the river to accommodate employers who hire them. They are the ones who caused all this.

The problem you have with me is that I have little tolerance for race obsession - and I don't care what color the obsessionist is.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 04-09-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Patriotic Pragmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
What deductive powers you have...
And the woman who shares my bed is a first generation American. Her parents, both born in Mexico, came here as children according to the legal standards of their time - her father as an orphan, and it was a hard life.

Every illegal who has come to this country as an adult needs to be deported, whether I Individually like or despise any of them. There's been too much damage. However, illegals are the symptom of the disease - they are right in front of us. However, if there is anyone to hate with an undying passion it is the politicians who sold you down the river to accommodate employers who hire them. They are the ones who caused all this.

The problem you have with me ...
Look, I don't care that you could only get some illegal alien for a mate. I feel sorry for you actually. But my problem with you is that you have such a mixed bag of sympathies, that I don't know whose side you're on.

For trying to intimidate, belittle, bully, deride, insult, and provoke someone who dares crack a joke about the ridiculous nature of the pro-amnesty arguments, of course you will rightly be seen as a traitor / troll.
As for your puta, I could care less that you married an illegal alien to grant her citizenship. It's your life, not mine bro. And this country used to be about freedom, until people like you started taking away freedoms by accusing anyone who isn't afraid to speak their mind of being "racist"

In short, I hate you because you're a communist agitator who is constantly attacking me for my excercise of freedom of speech.
Will you be down at olympic and whatever it is on may first?

Old 04-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Patriotic Pragmatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post
Am I supposed to be touched by the sob story?

Technically the little girl has been given US Citizenship, but clearly not a citizenship in accordance with the Constitution.

I have a basic and elementary disdain for the slobbery limp, left, liberals who profess indignation at our law enforcement who are doing a good job.

" He who seeks equity must come with clean hands".

* The mother and father are both illegal aliens whose first act was to violate the laws of our country.

* We can only speculate about stolen ID, social security numbers, working under the table, tax evasion, welfare checks, prenatal care, hospital costs, food stamps, illegal housing, driving without license or insurance and state entitlements that net, on average, $10,000 annually per child plus the medical and hospital costs on top.

* The unpaid customs fine $5,000 for entering at other than a designated entry point. The unpaid immigration fine.

*The grandfather had an expired visa and an arrest warrant out on him.

The kid is no more an American than her parents. She is a Guatemalan who is here only due to a fluke that some judge created by misinterpreting the 14Th amendment.

I won't be shedding any crocodile tears.
Well put !