Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Elections, Politics, and Partisanship

Elections, Politics, and Partisanship Topics relating to politics, elections, or party affiliations of interests to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 11-08-2010, 03:03 PM
SOS Associate

Default This Is It! I Am Demanding My Voting Materials In English

I have had it!

My sample ballot this election was so awash in S Pan Yol that I was not only a little confused, but also had to struggle with reading it because they made the letters so small to accomodate a bilingual ballot. There is nothing in the elections code that requires the ballots be comingled with other languages. The code requires that the materials be made available in other languages when a certain percentage of the population is speaking those languages, but I don't want a comingled ballot. I am sick of being forced fed a diet of spanish. I have contacted my county registrar to see how we can change the policy that has just about made me not want to get another voter pamphlet from them.
If I don't get satisfaction using my appointed office holder, I am willing to take it to an initiative.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 PM

You sure are right! I commented on it also at the polling place. They better start putting magnifying glasses out for all of those who need to read what they are voting for.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
SOS Associate

My most recent exchange with them

Quote:
OK,

I would like to find out how the county voters can get there ballots without spanish language on there. The ballot has become confusing to say the least, and the sample ballot had such small lettering to make room for the spanish that some of it was difficult to read. I don't think the majority of residents in Sacramento want bilingual ballots. I realize the election code requires the county to make certain voter information available in other languages, however there is nothing in the code that requires the majority of english speaking citizens to have their information comingled in the manner that it is. Spanish language speakers can request theirs in Spanish as can others, so I don't see why we cannot request ours in English only

How does a citizen effect these changes?
Quote:
Dear Davi,

There are several reasons your voting material is bi-lingual. Most importantly, the Federal Department of Justice, which oversees the implementation of the Voting Rights Act, prefers materials to be presented in bi-lingual format in that separating out Spanish language voters could be seen as intimidation. Preparing and producing two sets of voting materials is too time-consuming to allow us to meet the statutory deadlines for distribution of these materials. Finally, the cost of preparing and producing these two sets of materials does not provide a cost savings over producing combined materials.

Please feel free to contact me at 916 875 6255 if you have further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Alice Jarboe
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
As seen on TV!

I wrote a very simular email to the Folks at Betty crocker on how I actually had to dig around the entire box of pancake mix to find anything vaguely considered English.
Their reply was pretty simular, and They did mention that the demographics of Their "new customers" required that a majority of Their products were now going to be printed in mostly Spanish, with one small side of the package in English.

Being in the industry, I replied that I would never buy Their product again, and that I bought it in bulk 50lb sacks, and it was going to be tossed-away, and a notice on the window of My place of employment was going to endorse boycotting all of Their products.
They did respond, but basically blew Me off stating once again about the new "demographics" of the state, and that any attempt of any form of boycott was in vain...

At least Our stop signs are still in English...for the time being.

( Oh, I also posted all the responses from Them in the window for all of the locals to read as well..)
Old 11-09-2010, 05:26 AM

Default New York ballots

Fortunately I live in an upper middle class Village that has practically no illegal aliens resident in it. *( And none that I know of ).The homes are North of 1/2 million dollars and we do not tolerate stacking houses.

The lawn care people come in, cut/blow and leave. They are transient. But the illegals are in the adjacent Village next door to us.

This year we had the paper ballots and scanners for the first time. Previously we had the old mechanical, lever machines which closed a curtain.

Our ballots were in English. There was no-one that I saw that could be suspected of being an illegal alien who came to vote.

The bi-lingual thing is, of course, the manufacturers and sellers pandering to the Hispanic community for sales/purchases of products.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:39 AM
SOS Associate

Yesterday, I went to the registrar's office and picked up one of each type of sample ballot printed for this past election. Here's a revelation:
the county prints 177 different types of ballots, but they are claiming pauperdom when asked why we don't print one in english only.
To add to this injustice, all sample ballots are not created equally. Most, but not the bulk, are printed on dark newspaper type stock, but many are printed on white stock, making them far easier to read. In addition, the white ones are a little larger in size both length and width. I haven't read through but 30 of the 177 thus far.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Are we talking about the actual ballot or the materials they send you in the mail?

I'm not sure if the ballots are the same from county to county. Does anyone know? But in our county, the ballots did not have serial numbers for this election. There was no receipt issued to the voter showing their ballot number and offering proof that the voter had submitted a ballot.

I agree that we should no longer offer multilingual voting materials. It is a contradiction. If you can't speak English, you can't be a US citizen. If you aren't a US citizen, then you can't vote. That's all there is to it. This is why it is a fundamental requirement for absolutely anyone applying for US citizenship, so that we don't have to offer voting materials in different languages. It is a contradiction and an absurdity.