Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > Immigration

Immigration Topics relating to the subject of US Immigration

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 AM
SOS Associate

Default Solano Health Clinic Services Illegals

http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/2403633.html

Quote:
Medical providers in Vallejo teamed up to establish the program, generating community opposition because illegal immigrants were among those who benefited from services funded in part with county money. This led to a civil grand jury investigation, and a Board of Supervisors vote.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:57 AM

The House-approved bill would forbid them from getting government subsidies, but would allow them to use their own money to buy coverage. It would also require them to carry insurance, but many illegal immigrants will likely not be able to afford it, said Shana Alex Lavarreda, a senior researcher at the University of California, Los Angeles' Center for Health Policy Research.quote

This is such bs. I have been in their homes and watched them daily as they trek to the liquor store daily to buy beer. You have no idea how much they spend on just beer alone. These people know if they don't pay for medical, the taxpayer or American organizations will. So why should they leave, they will always find someone or some place where someone will cover their needs.

Yesterday I saw one of my roommates who is 25 yrs.,(not Rose) who is from Mexico and brought here by her mother when she was around 8, come in with bags and bags of groceries. I asked her where she had gone shopping. She said Vons, so I replied, "wow you spent allot of money." She said no, that her friend bought them for her with the $500 a month she gets in food stamps. My roommates friend has 5 kids and probably gets WIC also. I replied, "Well there's where our tax dollars go" to which my roommate replied, "At least I'm getting mine back." Now I don't need to tell you how angry that made me. My point is, those getting the public assistance are getting way more than they need and yet they're crying they're poor and aren't getting taken care of. I don't know if the girl who gave her the food stamps is here legally or not, but she just keeps popping out more and more kids, and yes she's Hispanic.

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 12-17-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 PM

I had 2 in front of me at the store today , both latinas with I assume anchors , neither spoke English and both used wic.

An anchor should never be reason for any welfare , one or both of the parents should have to prove status

Last edited by usa today; 12-17-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: another thought
Old 12-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
She said no, that her friend bought them for her with the $500 a month she gets in food stamps. My roommates friend has 5 kids and probably gets WIC also.
That is why I complain about all the TV stations, Fire Dept, Churches etc. working so hard to give so much to the supposed to be poor. They probably have more than I have.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
That is why I complain about all the TV stations, Fire Dept, Churches etc. working so hard to give so much to the supposed to be poor. They probably have more than I have.
They probably do. When you crunch the numbers and add up all the costs of what they're receiving, it's a hefty chunk of money. That girl alone is getting $6,000 a year in food stamps, I would imagine that medical for 6 people,(the mother qualifies for medical if the kids do) is probably another $7,000 a year. Now add in the WIC another $1,000. If she's getting any cash allotments it would be at least $20,000 (this cash is hard to get now, but some still do) and if they're getting section 8 housing that would be another $18,000. But the big bucks come in when you add up the education costs. For those five kids for one year it would be around $45,000. So you add $7,000 + $1,000+ $20,000+ $18,000 + $45,000 equals $91,000. Yes, $91,000 of your tax dollars to support this girl and her five kids. Mind you that's tax free to her. How much would you have to make to clear $91,000? And this girls story isn't anything unusual, actually it's quite common. And even if she weren't getting all of those public assistance programs, she's getting enough that it brings her income way above many of those who are paying the taxes to fund the programs.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 PM

Without figuring in the education, it represents about $24.00 an hour, pre - tax, if one were to work 40 hrs a week for a whole year - no time off.

How would that figure Head of household and 5 for a payroll check?

What would gross pay be with $961.00 a week ($24.025 hr) as net pay, figuring in state, federal, SSI, disability, and the rest?

Anyone do payroll?

Some more questions concerning double dipping:

Does she have a boy friend or husband, declared or not?

Does he work?

Does he live with the family?

Does he contribute to the household?

Does he work for cash?

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 12-18-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 PM

I might also add that the entitlements are not the complete cost to the taxpayer. You also have to factor in the cost of the eligibility worker pay, the social workers pay, the cost of the building and its associated costs and the cost to those who cut the checks, set up the computers and maintain them. The cost of just having the programs function in addition to what these people are receiving are huge. This is why California is so broke. When you really break down the actual costs they're astounding.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
I might also add that the entitlements are not the complete cost to the taxpayer. You also have to factor in the cost of the eligibility worker pay, the social workers pay, the cost of the building and its associated costs and the cost to those who cut the checks, set up the computers and maintain them. The cost of just having the programs function in addition to what these people are receiving are huge. This is why California is so broke. When you really break down the actual costs they're astounding.
So, how do we find a real cost for the overhead of administering the programs?

I believe Federal chips in a portion, what is the Federal / State ratio for funding?

Hay burros en el maiz

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 PM

Opinion by John Wagner, director of California Department of Social Services.

LA Times 12-18-2009

Quote:
It takes more than food stamps

Re “Hunger in California,” Editorial, Dec. 13

We agree that qualified Californians should have easy access to food stamps.

But it's misleading to suggest that California is at the bottom in providing food support for the poor. California ranks low on this federal measure because it provides cash instead of food stamps to 1.2 million aged, blind or disabled Californians.

Abandoning the policy would increase our participation rate, but aged, blind or disabled individuals would lose the extra cash assistance that helps them buy food. They would then apply for food stamps separately, and many would qualify, but due to complex federal rules, some would not.

We know more work is needed to reach all Californians who qualify. However, we're pleased that our food stamp usage rose 87% from 2004 to 2009.

With help from our county partners and the California Food Policy Advocates, we'll keep working to ensure that all Californians get the nutrition support they need.

John Wagner
Sacramento
The writer is director, California Department of Social Services.

Hay burros en el maiz

Don't drink and post.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
So, how do we find a real cost for the overhead of administering the programs?

I believe Federal chips in a portion, what is the Federal / State ratio for funding?
It would take an audit do break down the cost, but the point I was trying to get across is when considering the recipients gain is not the only cost associated with welfare.