Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > The Badge

The Badge Topics and information of interest to SOS associates relating to law enforcement, fire department, and other sworn safety officers

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
SOS Associate

Default Sac PD Answers Firearm Open Carry Question

From Sacramento Police departments blog:

Quote:
Posted by MrNapa

Dear Officer Michelle:

I just watched a video of a news story (http://www.ktvu.com/video/21648218/index.html) on the issue of "open carry" and would like to know whether I can legally carry a unloaded firearm in plain sight on my left hip and a loaded clip on my right hip as suggested by the above news story.

Sincerely,

Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Dear MrNapa,

Can I call you lefty - not because of political views, but because I see that you’d carry your gun on the left side?! In this state, a private citizen has every right to carry a firearm, as long as it isn’t concealed, the weapon is unloaded, and the ammunition is unattached. There are other stipulations including that you can’t carry the weapon within 1,000 feet of a school, airport, or other government building. This being said, you must be prepared to be stopped by law enforcement. We will stop you to ensure that it is unloaded. Additionally, most private citizens have a heightened sense of awareness after 9/11, and will probably call us to report a man in plain clothes carrying a gun in a public place. We have an obligation to investigate, and we will.

This same law doesn’t apply when driving a vehicle. California Penal Code Section 12026.2 states that when transporting the firearm in a vehicle, it must be placed in a locked container (other than the utility or glove compartment), and can’t be loaded.

I viewed the video you suggested. It seemed that the motivation for this group may be for other purposes in addition to protection. Thank you for your post and I hope this answered your question.

Officer Michelle
Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Oath Keeper

Interesting. But you would be a magnet for cops, but that could be good, unless one of those big badge boys decides to taze you...
Old 12-06-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingfool View Post
Interesting. But you would be a magnet for cops, but that could be good, unless one of those big badge boys decides to taze you...
Its unlikely that an open carrier would get tazed, or even a gun drawn down upon them by police. Even encountering armed persons, the police are subject to rules in the application of force. As long as the open carrier is being lawful and taking no provacative action, it is extremely unlikely they would be 'tazed'.

The really odd thing about exposed carry is, that few even in California will dial up the police to report it. The assumption by the general public is that such people are authorized to do so.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingfool View Post

Taze you if your lucky. I remember when Americans were seen on the street wearing sidearms.

Now you get news reports the person was shot and killed because they had a gun. That seems to be enough of a reason for some because they move on to another story.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Default Taze comment

I believe that Sacramento's finest are trained not to do silly things like unprovoked tazing; Great information regarding the carry law though.