Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > Immigration

Immigration Topics relating to the subject of US Immigration

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 05-11-2010, 05:42 PM

Default A New Law Or Enforcement Of An Old One?

Arizona’s Immigration Law: A New Law Or Enforcement Of An Old One?
by David Larsen
To read the barrage of criticism over this right-to-work state’s immigration law leads one to ask if the critics have actually read the law. Contrary to the complaints, it is a limited, reasonable and carefully-crafted measure created to help law enforcement deal with a serious problem in a state with a 350 mile, readily crossed border with Mexico.
First, SB 1070 is not a new law because federal laws already exist which make being in the country illegally, well, illegal. This law now makes it a state offense. SB 1070 is the result of the federal government’s failure to control the nation’s borders. Arizona elected officials, facing a very real crisis of an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants in their state, have simply built upon existing case law to address the problem. Common sense would dictate that controlling our 3,000 mile border with another country is an essential aspect of national sovereignty.
According to a recent Rasmussen poll, the vast majority of Arizona voters – 70% – agree with the law while just 23% oppose it (Rasmussen Report, 4/21/10). By enacting this law, Governor Brewer turned a national spotlight on an issue facing many states – what to do about a growing population of non-tax paying individuals who enter and remain in this country illegally. Arizona voters understand that the price of continuing to allow a steady stream of illegal immigrants into their state is more costly than fighting the ensuing lawsuits.
Let me be clear that as the son and grandson of Norwegian immigrants, I fully recognize that our great country was built upon the blood, sweat and tears of hard-working immigrants. I appreciate the many ethnic groups that make up America’s rich cultural fabric. I understand that people are coming to the United States to escape poverty, crime and build a better life. It’s just that it needs to be done legally. The arms of America are open wide to those who want to come here from other countries through the front door – by becoming citizens, which affords them the rights and privileges enjoyed by all Americans.
The Arizona law does not address people who want to come here legally. It addresses those who enter our country by breaking our laws, hence the title “illegal” immigrants. I am pro-legal immigration and pro-law as established by our Constitution and Congress. It seems that many of those critical of SB 1070 have chosen to ignore American case law. I submit that our country can no longer afford to ignore this problem and we must secure our Southwestern border. Some have put the cost of double or triple fencing and additional patrols at about $5 billion. George Will stated it well when he recently called the cost of securing the border “a rounding error on the [$50 billion] GM bailout.”
Governor Brewer listened to the will of the Arizona voters in enacting this law. Like her, I am listening to the concerns and problems facing everyday people as I travel around District 7. I am David Larsen and I want to be A Voice For the People – Your Voice – in Washington, so I am asking for your vote in the primary on June 8th. For more information on where I stand on key issues affecting you and your family, go to www.DavidLarsenforCongress.com or follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
David Larsen is a Republican who is running against U.S. Rep. Leonard Lance in the G.O.P. Primary on June 8th for his party’s nomination to represent New Jersey’s 7th District in Congress.
http://njtoday.net/2010/05/11/arizon...of-an-old-one/