Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Communities and Quality of Life > Communities in Crisis

Communities in Crisis California cities, towns, and counties suffering under corruption, crime, foreign influence or economic loss

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 AM
As seen on TV!

Default In San Rafael, unlicensed immigrants decry car impounds

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_14697540

Hundreds of people from congregations throughout Marin packed the gymnasium at Saint Raphael Church in San Rafael Wednesday to tell stories about the economic and social cost of losing their cars because they cannot get a valid driver's license in California.
Hosted by the Marin Organizing Committee, a coalition of religious congregations and nonprofit groups in Marin that works on public-policy issues, the session was spawned from years of stories in San Rafael and beyond about immigrants who have lost their cars to impound because they are barred by state law from getting a license because of their immigration status.

The committee has formed a team to learn more about the policies and practices of impounding cars driven by unlicensed drivers, and plans more meetings to educate the community about civil rights and actions to help get the law changed.

During the session, many spoke in small groups about their experiences. Elias Amador, a San Rafael resident who works as a painter, said he was driving from Tiburon to San Rafael when he got into an accident.

The woman who hit him admitted guilt, but the police impounded his car.

"Because I didn't have a driver's license, my car was impounded," he said through an interpreter.

Abel Vasquez of San Rafael, who works in construction, said he was on his way to a job in the Walnut Creek area when a small bus made a wrong turn and hit him.

"Instead of chasing the one that made the wrong turn the police chased me," he said in Spanish, explaining that it took nearly $3,000 to get his car back.
The impounding of vehicles in traffic stops, accidents, during street-sweeping days and as part of drunken driving and driver's license checkpoints has been a lightening rod in the city for years.

The issue hit fever pitch in 2008, when critics made regular appearances at public meetings to urge the San Rafael City Council to abandon the checkpoints, which they said unfairly targeted illegal immigrants who could not legally earn drivers licenses.

Critics have contended the checkpoints violate guidelines set forth by the California Supreme Court and question whether screening for driver's licenses is even necessary. Others have supported the program, saying the laws should apply to everyone equally.

The council has repeatedly thrown its support behind the checkpoints, which are funded through the state Office of Traffic Safety, and police have said the checkpoints are legal, appropriate and a necessary tool to combat drunken driving in Marin.

Council members Greg Brockbank and Barbara Heller attended the session Wednesday.

"I listened intently to your stories and I was quite touched," Heller said. "I'm going to make sure that our state senator, Mark Leno, and Jared Huffman, our assemblyman, are aware of this meeting."

"The law is very bad," Brockbank said. "Everyone should have driver's licenses. Thank you for coming and telling your story. Hopefully we can solve this problem."

"The law is very bad"...? what?!??

What I also find ironic is that the illegals gather at San Rafeals Mission, of which the Mexicans let basically fall apart from 1820-1846, then where told by the Vatican to give the land/area back to the Local Indians, but before They did, They sold every nail, hinge, and whatever was on the building.

The main beams of the mission are now part of Fort Sutter, The Mexicans sold the timbers to Sutter before Cal. became a State.

This was posted early today, and already has pages of comments.

CB.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:01 PM
As seen on TV!

It did'nt take long for the Marin IJ to censor/ban all comments.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Bunny View Post
It did'nt take long for the Marin IJ to censor/ban all comments.
No it didn't did it? Liberal Bastards