Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > Immigration

Immigration Topics relating to the subject of US Immigration

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 AM

Default Whose Responsibility?

Whose Responsibility?

Written by Jeff Humber
It’s fitting that so much of Arizona is desert because the state just drew a line in the sand. The state recently passed what is being called the strictest anti-illegal immigration bill in generations. It’s about time. Because it’s been obvious for some time that the federal government has no real interest is stopping the flow of illegals coming over the southern border. It’s a sad state of affairs when the only way the U.S. could slow the tide was by having the worst recession in a generation.

Speaking at a naturalization ceremony for 24 active-duty service members in the Rose Garden, President Obama called for a federal overhaul of immigration laws, which Congressional leaders signaled they were preparing to take up soon, to avoid “irresponsibility by others,” according to the New York Times.

In my opinion, no one in the federal government has the right to lecture others on “irresponsibility” when all they have done is sat on their hands and let the states fend for themselves.

Many conservative commentators, from Bill O’Reilly to yours truly, have called for the National Guard to be placed on the border to stem the flow of illegal immigrants. Then and only then can comprehensive immigration reform be addressed.

How do you tackle a plumbing job before you shut the water off?

Now many opponents of true reform argue that either the guard is unnecessary, or that it’s not their job. Neither argument holds any water.

The guard exists to protect its state. So guarding the border in Arizona is absolutely part of the Arizona National Guard’s mission, and the Minuteman Project showed that a stepped up presence on the border is extremely effective because while our border with Mexico is thousands of miles, the bulk of the crossings happen in five or six spots where the river is narrow.

Sealing our border isn’t brain surgery.

I have to admit that I got a good chuckle when I read this recently on the WGN Chicago website:

Two Illinois lawmakers say violence has become so rampant in Chicago that the National Guard must be called in to help.

Chicago Democratic Reps. John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford made a public plea to Gov. Pat Quinn yesterday to deploy troops.

The request comes amid a recent surge in violent crime, including a night last week that saw seven people killed, and 18 wounded, mostly by gunfire.

Fritchey says Chicago has had 113 homicide victims this year. He says the police department has done a commendable job, but its resources are stretched thin.

“Is this a drastic call to action? Of course it is,” Fritchey said. “Is it warranted when we are losing residents to gun violence at such an alarming rate? Without question. We are not talking about rolling tanks down the street or having armed guards on each corner.”

What he envisions, Fritchey said, is a “heightened presence on the streets,” particularly on the roughly 9 percent of city blocks where most of the city’s violent crimes occur.

So the guard can be called in to patrol violent neighborhoods in Chicago but not to protect our nation from foreign invaders? Amazing.

And, if memory serves me correctly, Chicago has one of the strictest gun bans in the nation. I guess the criminals there didn’t get the memo.
http://www.gazettevirginian.com/inde...mber&Itemid=73