Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > State Government

State Government Issues of importance to SOS associates relating to their state government.

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 05-20-2010, 02:32 AM

Default Rhode Island lawmaker files bill that follows Arizona immigration law

Rhode Island lawmaker files bill that follows Arizona immigration law
01:00 AM EDT on Thursday, May 20, 2010
PROVIDENCE –– State Rep. Peter G. Palumbo, saying that he’s “fed up,” and “we’re all under attack” by illegal immigrants, has filed a bill mirroring a controversial Arizona law that is considered the toughest immigration legislation in the country.
Palumbo’s bill, like the Arizona law, gives local police more authority to question and arrest illegal immigrants. It makes failure to carry immigration documents a state crime, and requires police to question people “where reasonable suspicion exists” that the person is unlawfully in the United States. The bill, H 8412, also targets people who hire illegal immigrants, or who knowingly transport them.
Much of Palumbo’s bill is taken verbatim from the Arizona bill, SB 1070, signed into law by Gov. Jan Brewer last month, over the objection of President Obama. It would put in place far stricter controls than Palumbo’s previous unsuccessful attempts, or Governor Carcieri’s controversial 2008 executive order cracking down on illegal immigration.
Palumbo, a Cranston Democrat, had stated he had no plans to file such legislation this year. But he changed his mind last week as opposition to the Arizona law — including a spreading economic boycott and legal challenges — continued to mount.
“What pushed me over the edge was, when I heard the mayor of San Francisco and mayor of L.A. chastising the governor [Brewer] for her efforts, I just snapped. When they said they’re going to economically boycott one of their sovereign states — that’s what did it,” Palumbo said.
“We’re all under attack, basically,” he said. “People are coming in from all our borders and they’re coming in quickly. Everyone agrees something needs to be done … I’m trying to show the people in Arizona that there are more people in support of them, than against them.”
Brewer’s signing of the Arizona law set off protests around the country, and prompted the filing of a number of constitutional challenges and lawsuits. The latest challenge, a federal class-action suit, was filed Monday by the American Civil Liberties Union and other civil-rights organizations.
Meanwhile, recent polls have shown increased support for the Arizona law. A Rasmussen poll of 1,000 people, released Wednesday, showed 55 percent of U.S. voters support the idea of allowing the police to stop and check the status of suspected illegal immigrants.
Steven Brown, executive director of the Rhode Island affiliate of the ACLU, called Palumbo’s bill “nothing less than a deliberate recipe for increased racial profiling in the state. It purports to give police this magical bloodhound quality of being able to sniff out any individual who is in the country illegally. How a police officer otherwise is able to adopt this reasonable suspicion that somebody is here illegally is beyond me.”
Brown added, “I don’t think there’s going to be a lot of support for this. I think Rhode Islanders on the whole are much more cognizant of the incredibly divisive and mean-spirited nature of a bill like this. It certainly will have some support. There’s no question there is a core anti-immigrant mentality out there but on the whole I think public officials will recognize this bill for the insidious attack on civil rights that it is.”
Terry Gorman, head of Rhode Islanders for Immigration Law Enforcement (RIILE), said he and his organization plan to support Palumbo’s effort. Palumbo said Gorman has helped him with “fact-gathering” about illegal immigration.
Gorman said, “It’s incredibly important that we have laws like the Arizona law if we’re ever going to do anything about illegal immigration. The situation is never going to be resolved unless measures are taken.”
kziner@projo.com
http://www.projo.com/news/content/RI...0.8b59e50.html

The Buzz: New RI immigration law proposal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WR-bEKsCqw

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 05-20-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Peter Palumbo - Rhode Island Democrat is Pushing for Illegal Immigration LAW like Arizona!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-X1syr9t1Q