Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > The Media

The Media Topics and information relating to the Media (publications, television, press, first amendment issues, etc) of interest to SOS Associates and Users

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 02-28-2010, 09:04 AM

Default SOS has on-again, off-again history

SOS has on-again, off-again history
Most recent version of group has tried to keep focus on opposition to illegal immigration

By Jonathan Randles
Signal Staff Writer

The Save Our State organization has been disbanded twice and changed leadership several times since it was first established more than 15 years ago, records show.

The most recent version of the group has taken the strongest stand against racism, seeking to keep its focus on opposing illegal immigration.

The Southern Poverty Law Center has labeled the organization a hate group since 2005.

Members of the new SOS, started in September, make it clear on multiple message boards set up on the group's Web site that they do not endorse political parties and are only interested in protesting illegal immigration.

But efforts to distance themselves from racist organizations like the old SOS haven't always been successful.

The original SOS was formed in 1993 in Tustin - a suburban community in central Orange County - according to filings with the Secretary of State. The organization has its roots in Proposition 187, said Davi Rodriguez, who runs the new SOS out of Sacramento.

The ballot measure attempted to prohibit illegal immigrants from receiving government services. Courts overturned the measure after it was passed by California voters,

SOS disbanded and was left dormant for several years until Joe Turner started the organization again in 2004, Rodriguez said. Secretary of State filings confirm his statement.
White supremacists attracted
When Turner took over, the Southern Poverty Law Center began following the organization's many message boards and documented instances of racism on its site, said Heidi Beirich, SPLC's director of research.

Under Turner, SOS grew to about 1,000 members. Turner led marches in downtown Los Angeles that drew the ire of immigrant-rights groups and attracted white supremacist groups to SOS, according to SPLC reports.

The SPLC recorded a post by Turner on SOS's old Web site in 2005 it says is an example of his racism.

"I am sick and tired of all the white bashing that goes on through the use of political correctness as an indoctrinating tool," Turner wrote in 2005. "Just because one believes in white separatism that does not make them a racist."

Rodriguez said SOS doesn't want racists in the organization.

Turner left the organization in 2007. He now works for San Bernardino County Supervisor Neil Derry. Turner did not return phone or e-mail messages left by The Signal at his office.
Strong stand against illegals
Rodriguez's efforts to keep racism out of his organization haven't stood in the way of his strong opposition to illegal immigration. And while Turner may have been labeled a racist by the SPLC, Rodriguez took a page from his book.

During the past few years, he has driven a pickup truck with an 18-by-16-foot sign displaying messages like: "Build the wall, deport them all."

The giant billboard was Turner's brainchild, Rodriguez said.

"In Northern California, they did not have as much exposure to illegal immigration as Southern California," Rodriguez said. "That's why we did the sign. Some people were not ready for that."

"Even with a small sign there was resistance," he said. "I expected some things, so I keep pepper spray handy."

When Turner left the organization in 2007, SOS started losing members. And after Chelene Nightingale took over SOS leadership duties, the number of members plummeted, Rodriguez said.

E-mails sent to Nightengale, who is running for California governor as a member of the Constitution Party, were not returned.

Since Turner left the group, the Southern Poverty Law Center has stopped following SOS so closely, Beirich said.

Group revived last September
After SaveOurState.org was shut down several months ago, the organization went dormant, Rodriguez said.

In September 2009, Rodriguez decided to start the organization back up and is trying to get more people to join.

"We changed our platform; we're different now," said SOS member Jean of Fillmore, who has organized two rallies in Santa Clarita, including the one Saturday. She declined to provide her last name out of fear for personal safety.

"We are more focused with working with the system and getting with those that are actually able to make a difference," Jean said.

Jean said she was encouraged when state Sen. George Runner, R-Antelope Valley, agreed to speak at Saturday's rally in Valencia.

"Runner has a voice," she said. "He's running for the Board of Equalization, which has to do with our taxes, so when he talks about our taxes, he give us a voice."

Runner, however, left the rally Saturday shortly after it began. He did not speak at the event.
http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/25311/
Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 AM

Good job Jean. To stand in the rain shows you are all serious.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
Good job Jean. To stand in the rain shows you are all serious.
I was not there.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
I was not there.
Why?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Glory View Post
Why?
Do you want to bring this up out here?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:42 PM
"SZinWestLA"

Here is what I'm sure is a pretty dumb question:

Is Jonathon Randles that thin white kid with the bushy eyebrows who looks like he's about 16 years old and stepped right off the canvas of a Norman Rockwell painting on the cover of the Saturday Evening Post?
Old 02-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Do you want to bring this up out here?
Good question. I try to never ask a questions just because we have so many 'guests'.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerailAmnesty.com View Post
Here is what I'm sure is a pretty dumb question:

Is Jonathon Randles that thin white kid with the bushy eyebrows who looks like he's about 16 years old and stepped right off the canvas of a Norman Rockwell painting on the cover of the Saturday Evening Post?
Yes, that most definitely is him.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
"SZinWestLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
Yes, that most definitely is him.

OK, so this is the guy some people here want to have hung, drawn and quartered (not literally, of course)?

I really haven't been reading the Signal's articles, until today. I assumed it was him b/c he's the person representing SC's local paper who always seems to be around when we put in appearances.

We spoke briefly at the beginning of the rally yesterday, while I was at the edge of the sidewalk waving my sign around. He was very pleasant and seemed to know who I am. We only exchanged a few pleasantries.

Well, based upon what he's writing, I assume at least one of two things must be true:

A. His political views are not ours and he is deeply offended by and/or concerned about the message we are conveying in his neck of the woods.

B. The topic of white supremacy/racism sells papers.

It's just sort of hard to believe anyone still buys those IndyMedia-caliber accusations at this junction in time.

Which of our white separatist speakers yesterday was supposed to be the head Klansman anyway? You, Moreno, Raheem or Herrera?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Administrator

I don't think the article was overly critical; At least by the standards we've all become accustomed to anyway.