Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Elections, Politics, and Partisanship

Elections, Politics, and Partisanship Topics relating to politics, elections, or party affiliations of interests to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-18-2009, 05:08 AM
"SZinWestLA"

From my perspective, you guys are denying what's plainly in front of you. Your lack-of-racial-undertone suggestions defy reality. If there isn't a play to the stereotype about blacks shining shoes, the picture isn't "funny." If it isn't about him being black in a stereotypical uneducated African-American position, what's the joke? Obama lost his job and is now doing this? He hasn't lost his job, Jean. He hasn't come close. There's nothing that has happened in the real world to make that the tie-in to the attempt at humor.

For those who have had little exposure to ethnic stereotypes, let me clue you in (I grew up with ethnic humor. My parents, who are from the East Coast, had children late and are closer to two generations older than me, than one):

Poles and Italians - Stupid, a step in "class" only above blacks. The latter are notorious for being involved with organized crime. The former work mostly in coal mines.

Irish - Commonly drunk, work as policemen and have a hardcore devotion to the Pope.

Jews - Completely dishonest, particularly in financial dealings.

Germans - Makers of lousy food and no senses of humor. Anal retentive and devoted to detail to the Nth degree.

Chinese - Found in two places: Chinese restaurants and laundries.

Japanese - Scheming backstabbers.

Blacks - The lowest rung in American society. Only fit for positions that entail physical labor (domestics, drivers, servants, laborers ... and certainly shoe shine boys, which were commonplace in large American cities during the first half of the 20th Century).

Are these dated stereotypes? Sure. But to deny them and their place in American culture is pointless. Particularly in view of the fact that the picture in question doesn't make any "humorous" sense otherwise. Whether you perceive it or not, the person who made the Obama/Palin pic intended it, because there's no other quickly understood "funny" reason to have a black president shining shoes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Do I think the pic is a big deal or something for which we all have to immerse ourselves in "sensitivity" courses about, or some other PC nonsense? No, of course not. But when a black woman in her 80's doesn't like it, I completely understand why. It's a cheap shot at the guy. The joke, at least in part, is about his skin color, no question.

OK, end of discussion on my end. You either get it or you don't and this topic really doesn't merit the time we've invested in it. Please excuse me now, I have to go lend money at exorbitant rates of interest.

Last edited by DerailAmnesty.com; 12-18-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 AM

"Italians - Stupid, a step in "class" only above blacks. The latter are notorious for being involved with organized crime. The former work mostly in coal mines."

Yeah, so, what's your point? Oh, and by the way SZ, for Hanukkah/Chanukah, I got you a cement overcoat with matching shoes. I hope you like them. The outfit will go along with your free toll tokens for the Brooklyn Bridge tour. A car ride down by the river is lovely this time of year. Enjoy.

Trivia: All the roads in New York City end at the river.

Fugheddaboudit, lol.

Last edited by Ole Glory; 12-18-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM

A Greek and an Italian

A Greek and Italian were sitting in a Starbuck's one day discussing who had the superior culture. Over triple lattes the Greek guy says, "Well, we have the Parthenon."

Arching his eyebrows, the Italian replies, "We have the Coliseum." The Greek retorts, "We Greeks gave birth to advanced mathematics."

The Italian, nodding agreement, says, "But we built the Roman Empire."

And so on and so on until the Greek comes up with what he thinks will end the discussion. With a flourish of finality he says, "We invented sex!"

The Italian replies, "That is true, but it was the Italians who introduced it to women!"
Old 12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
"SZinWestLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Glory View Post
"Italians - Stupid, a step in "class" only above blacks. The latter are notorious for being involved with organized crime. The former work mostly in coal mines."

Yeah, so, what's your point? Oh, and by the way SZ, for Hanukkah/Chanukah, I got you a cement overcoat with matching shoes. I hope you like them. The outfit will go along with your free toll tokens for the Brooklyn Bridge tour. A car ride down by the river is lovely this time of year. Enjoy.

Trivia: All the roads in New York City end at the river.

Fugheddaboudit, lol.

Really? OK, that sounds reasonable on the conditions that you sell it to me at wholesale and there is an extra coat, tossed in gratis, for my Uncle Morty.

Alright, off the top of my head, I can come up with this trio; the last two of which are so bad that if the Christians are right about the existence of Hell, I just reserved myself a seat in the first 20 rows.

Question: Why do Jews have such big noses?

Answer: Because the air is free.

Have you heard about the new German-built microwave currently being marketed to consumers on Fairfax and in Brentwood?

It seats 40.

Question: What is the difference between a pizza and a Jew?

Answer: Pizzas don't scream when you toss them in the oven.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:48 PM

O M G That is really bad, however, that won't stop me.

Can you top this?

Question: How was the Grand Canyon formed?

Answer: A Jew dropped a penny down a gofer hole.

Question: Why does the state of New Jersey have more toxic waste dumps than lawyers?

Answer: They had first choice.

Question: Why are lawyers buried with holes drilled in their coffins?

Answer: So the worms and maggots can crawl out to throw up.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Continent Thief

Not only is Obama going down, so is this thread!

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."
Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 PM
"SZinWestLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Glory View Post
O M G That is really bad, however, that won't stop me.

Can you top this?

Question: How was the Grand Canyon formed?

Answer: A Jew dropped a penny down a gofer hole.

Oh, pleeeeeaaase ...

You're a piker in comparison to me. Lawyer jokes rank up there somewhere just above knock knock questions in terms of offensiveness.

Face it, the utterly irredeemable stuff I wrote in my last post blows your stuff out of the water. I just made mockery of one of the worst crimes in human history, and treated the unbelievable suffering of innocents as though it was somehow fit for "humor." I should be royally ashamed that my soul can be that black.

However, you and Phil are missing the silver lining to all of this. You notice that depictions of Barack Obama shining shoes seem endlessly tame in comparison now?

My work here is done! Well, almost.

Question: What does a Jewish girl make for dinner?

Answer: Reservations.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Continent Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerailAmnesty.com View Post
You notice that depictions of Barack Obama shining shoes seem endlessly tame in comparison now?
Exactly. I would rate Barack Obama shining shoes no more than a 2 on a 10-point scale of racist things.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."
Old 12-19-2009, 07:16 AM

I can be silent no more.

A photo of obamadinejad shining shoes suggests he is capable of gainful employment. The concept is ridiculous, hence the joke.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Continent Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy63 View Post
I can be silent no more.

A photo of obamadinejad shining shoes suggests he is capable of gainful employment. The concept is ridiculous, hence the joke.
I think there are many ways to interpret the photo other than it being simply an example of a racist stereotype. I just liked the feeling it gave me to see Obama shining Sarah Palin's shoes.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!