Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > California Schools

California Schools Topics And Information Relating To California Schools

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 03-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Default School's Demographics

Remember our rally in Maywood a couple of years ago? Well, just for fun, I looked up the current demographics of the local high school, my old alma mater: Hispanic 98.0%
Caucasian 0.2%
Afro-Amer 1.1%
Other 0.7%

No wonder all of the stores, offices, and all had spanish language signs.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohighlass View Post
Remember our rally in Maywood a couple of years ago? Well, just for fun, I looked up the current demographics of the local high school, my old alma mater: Hispanic 98.0%
Caucasian 0.2%
Afro-Amer 1.1%
Other 0.7%

No wonder all of the stores, offices, and all had spanish language signs.
I looked up my grade school (LAUSD) and it's American Indian 0.7% Blacks 8.3% Asian 0.8% Hispanic 86.6% White 2.3%. When I was a student there it was about 30% White, 30% Hispanic, 25% Black and the remaining 15% were Asian or others. We had about 30 students per class and the teachers didn't have teacher's aids. We had students become Doctors and professionals. I went to my class reunion and had to laugh at the competition for who had the most degrees, and it wasn't someone with a Phd that won. That was true diversity. What we now have isn't even close, but the left continues the cry "We love diversity" "We need change" What a crock!!! They've divided us up and now have the power in numbers for one specific group to pander to and say "Now you owe us, so keep us in power" But the money is drying up and they've eliminated the host who paid for it all. Well they made their bed, now they're crying they're victims. Yes, they're victims of their own making. They thought it could last forever. Fools of their own making.

Here's where my grade school stands today.

Per-Pupil Spending: $11,357
Graduation Rate: 48.8%
Dropout Rate: 6.8%
Students Per Teacher: 21.3

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 03-20-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 AM

I remember when I went to school, this counting colors was not even a thing to think about. I went to an all black high school and didn't think anything about it. Loved all that I went to school with. How sad it's become.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:21 AM
"SZinWestLA"

The high school I attended (LAUSD) MIGHT have had half a dozen Latino kids during the time I was there. I'm not sure if there were even that many, and this was on a campus of about 1500 students. One of them is my oldest friend. He was an illegal, too. He got amnestied in in '86 and has been leading a very successful professional and personal life.

As I look back, from the vantage point of living in L.A. now and being in my late 40's, a couple of things I heard in classrooms from teachers will never be heard by today's crop of public school students in SoCal. When I was in 10th Grade, my Spanish teacher complained that President Carter had used the term "undocumented" aliens rather than "illegal." He opined that this term was a dishonest whitewash and was a step in the wrong direction This lead to a class discussion wherein he said that unchecked immigration from Mexico would be our ruin. I distinctly recall him telling me, and several other students who said we should be willing to give up some of what we have to help poor people from desperate countries, that "Some of what you have is not an option. Be prepared to give it all up if too many illegal immigrants come to the U.S."

Wow, was that guy ahead of the curve. Can you imagine what would happen to a Spanish teacher who mouthed those remarks on an LAUSD campus now?

There was also this nice African-American woman who taught a U.S. History course I took in 11th Grade. Somehow, for whatever reason, the subject matter of race relations came up in class (My school was a busing campus and about half the student body was black) and she stated that things between blacks and whites were pretty much OK at this point in time, after the civil rights era, but that she thought the Mexicans had to get out because "there are just too many of them." She added that she hoped they didn't start showing up in school in large numbers because she had no interest in dealing with them.

No, I'm not making this up. She was very candid about it (she was a well-liked instructor b/c her classes were interesting and informative) and nobody batted an eyelash. We chuckled a little bit. No one was uncomfortable or offended. Political correctness was not a mainstream reality circa '79 or '80. Needless to say, there wasn't a Latino in the room.

Boy, are those days gone. Honesty or "intolerant opinions" are commonly unwelcome across the board in places where our children are being raised and indoctrinated.

Last edited by DerailAmnesty.com; 03-24-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 AM

While "diversity" seems to come in just one color, are these kids American in their outlook? The schools seem to be doing everything they can to tear down the concept of being American.

Quote:
Boy, are those days gone. Honesty or "intolerant opinions" are commonly unwelcome across the board in places where our children are being raised and indoctrinated.
How true, I run into this quite a bit. More than once or twice I've had some discussion with white Americans concerning illegal immigration where I used the word "Mexican" in the sense of nationality or "citizen of" and was lambasted as a racist, they confused "Mexican" to be indicative of race.

The other day I had a conversation with a "Latino" who was born and grew up in Chicago and is culturally more Mexican than American. We eventually came to friendly terms, but he commented to a third party that I had made racist commentary when in fact I was discussing the truth.

On the flip side I met a person who was born in Mexico and had been a US Marine (I know, once a Marine, always a Marine). He made a statement that when his children started to self describe themselves as "Mexican" he corrected them, that they were American. I asked him how it was that a fifth generation American with Mexican ancestry could self identify as "Mexican". He grinned and replied "racism", which I took to mean the latent or subliminal racism within the individual himself.

And how serious is this within most individuals? A year or so ago Elena dispensed a rare lecture at me with the conclusion (towards herself) "And she's not a nagger, she's a short Mexican".

Lots of different perspectives. The important thing is that citizens of America be Americans - and those who make it their business to endlessly classify us according to race and ethnicity need to get a life doing something productive rather than divide us.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 03-25-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM

Default Just for Fun

So, I looked up the demographics for my grandaughter's elementary school in the heart of Maricopa County, AZ - 8% Hispanic, and 89% Caucasian, and the remainder "Other". Interesting, no? PS I love you Sheriff Joe!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohighlass View Post
So, I looked up the demographics for my grandaughter's elementary school in the heart of Maricopa County, AZ - 8% Hispanic, and 89% Caucasian, and the remainder "Other". Interesting, no? PS I love you Sheriff Joe!
That seems like a world away. I didn't know places like that existed anymore.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Yes, Jean, it's true! I love going to Maricopa County - so clean, fresh, friendly. I feel like I am back in America!