Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Elections, Politics, and Partisanship

Elections, Politics, and Partisanship Topics relating to politics, elections, or party affiliations of interests to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Default DREAM Act carries some harsh

DREAM Act carries some harsh
Last week, the Department of Labor reported that unemployment in America rose to 9.8 percent. Joblessness has now topped 9.5 percent for 16 straight months, the longest stretch since the Great Depression. Yet in the 11th hour of the 111th Congress, Democrats are attempting to pass legislation that would grant amnesty to an estimated two million illegal immigrants.
The DREAM Act subsidizes education for illegal immigrants, grants them mass amnesty, encourages more illegal immigration and inevitably takes jobs from American workers. Simply put, the DREAM Act is a nightmare for the American people.
Claims that the bill only applies to 875,000 illegal immigrants are misleading. According to the Migration Policy Institute, an estimated two million illegal immigrants under the age of 35 would be eligible for amnesty under the DREAM Act. Once amnesty recipients become citizens and turn 21, they can sponsor their illegal immigrant parents for legalization. This kind of chain migration only encourages more illegal immigration, as parents will bring their children to the U.S. in hopes of receiving citizenship.
The bill also is a magnet for fraud. Many illegal immigrants will falsely claim that they arrived in the U.S. before age 16. And the DREAM Act makes it possible for almost any illegal immigrant to evade the law. Once an application is filed, no matter how fraudulent, the federal government is prohibited from deporting the applicant.
Apparently the Obama administration sees nothing wrong with illegal immigration. Today, Americans under the age of 35 face an unemployment rate of 14.5 percent. And 28 percent of all African-Americans under age 35 have no job. So why are the Democrats considering this bill? Didn’t they hear the voters on Nov. 2? The American people want a strong and growing economy, not more competition for scarce jobs. 

One reason might explain why the Democrats are willing to hurt American workers. These are their own words: “The legalization of 11 million new immigrants would likely cement the [Democratic] party’s position as the majority party for decades to come.” 

So the promise of political power has made some politicians sell out American workers. How little they must value working families — the men and women who labor, produce and make our country strong.
Many American families are facing this holiday season with uncertainty due to the economy and increasing unemployment rates. Legalizing millions of illegal immigrants means more competition for scarce jobs. It is an insult to the millions of Americans struggling to make ends meet. Anyone who cares about American workers should call their member of Congress and tell them to vote no on a national nightmare — The DREAM Act.
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...ep-lamar-smith
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM

Immigrant hopes for Dream Act passage face tough odds in lame-duck Congress

By John Lantigua, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, Nov. 28, 2010

Manuel Guerra of Indiantown, who has lived in Florida more than 10 years, learned last week that he had lost his case before U.S. immigration authorities and may be deported to his native Mexico.

Guerra, 26, knew he might lose his appeal and has been pinning his hopes on Congress passing legislation called the Dream Act.

That bill would allow undocumented immigrants, 35 and younger, who were brought into the U.S. before age 16 and have finished high school, to earn the right to stay by serving in the military or attending college for two years. Guerra would qualify.

"At this point my only hope is to get the Dream Act passed," Guerra wrote in an e-mail .

The bill is scheduled to go before the lame-duck session in the U.S. House today, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has said he will bring it up for a vote in December.

A Republican majority is set to take over the House in January, and many of those legislators promised voters they would be hard on illegal immigrants. Supporters see the next two months as their last chance, for some time, to pass the legislation.

Those advocates say individuals covered by the Dream Act should not be punished for the actions of parents or other relatives who brought them to the U.S. illegally and that they should be able to stay in the country where they have been educated.

The Dream Act, which stands for Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, failed in Congress in September, when it was attached to a Defense Department authorization bill. Military leaders support the measure because it would increase their recruitment pool.

Some in Congress saw that as an attempt to sneak the legislation through on the back of a larger bill. Not one Republican senator voted for it. This time it is being presented as a stand-alone bill.

Guerra, who is part of Students Working for Equal Rights, a national group working for passage, says he is going to Washington to lobby GOP members of Congress. He visited the office of Sen. George LeMieux, R-Fla., in September.

"I will be visiting again Sen. George LeMieux and my congressman, Thomas Rooney, who oppose amnesty," Guerra said.

Rooney's office issued a statement Wednesday saying he was still opposed.

"Immigration is fundamentally a national security issue, which is why any immigration reform must secure our borders, uphold the law and reward those who follow the rules," it said. "Passing the Dream Act would provide another incentive for individuals to come here illegally."

"While I do not support the Dream Act," said Rooney, R-Tequesta, "I would be willing to consider a stand-alone bill that would grant legal residence status to anyone who puts on the uniform and serves in the U.S. military."

Despite Rooney's position, supporters say they have the votes they need in the House, including those of two South Florida Republicans, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Lincoln Diaz-Balart, both of Miami.

Senate passage will be much more difficult. LeMieux said before the last vote that he opposed the bill because he was afraid it would lead more undocumented individuals to enter the country illegally. Despite many pleas from Dream Act supporters, he has announced no change in that position.

Only one Republican senator, Richard Lugar of Indiana, has said he will vote for it this time.

Supporters of the bill are trying to sway several others, including Bob Bennett of Utah, Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine, Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, George Voinovich of Ohio and Scott Brown of Massachusetts.

Some of them, like LeMieux, are lame ducks - they won't be returning in January - and are considered possible converts because they won't have to worry about a backlash from conservative voters.

But the supporters will need several of those of those votes, and most political observers don't think that will happen. On Sunday, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said the Dream Act was "going nowhere."

Democrats control the Senate 58-42, but it takes only 40 votes against the bill to filibuster and block it. And the supporters can't rely on all the Democrats. Ben Nelson of Nebraska, for one, opposes it.

He said he would not support the Dream Act until it is "part of an overall comprehensive solution to immigration once we have the border secured, not until then."

President Obama supports the bill .

"This is about accountability, not amnesty," said a White House official who has been closely monitoring the Dream Act.

"It will take a few Republicans to get this through Congress, but they have to realize we can't keep kicking the can down the road. They have to help govern and to solve some of the problems."

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Yet in the 11th hour of the 111th Congress, Democrats are attempting to pass legislation that would grant amnesty to an estimated two million illegal immigrants.
It really makes me sad when I see what 'Democrats' do. I am a Dem an no one has worked harder than I have to help solve the immigration problem.
I don't change parties because the Rep party is no better.
Each party has its own problems and it will not stop until some party is dead, but that will not help because some other anti Americans will take their place.
Really is sad!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
It really makes me sad when I see what 'Democrats' do. I am a Dem an no one has worked harder than I have to help solve the immigration problem.
I don't change parties because the Rep party is no better.
Each party has its own problems and it will not stop until some party is dead, but that will not help because some other anti Americans will take their place.
Really is sad!
Always remember that you don't have to register with a political party at all anymore. You can leave the Democratic Party and register "decline to state". This is on all the voter registration forms and you register "decline to state" by just filling one out again. Any changes you want made to your record as a registered voter are made by just refilling out a voter registration form.

Again, let me say that it really is nobody's business what your political party is and the government should not be keeping any record of what your political party is at all. This is how the "two parties" keep track of who their members are, by way of government kept records. This is something they really should be doing themselves and not with government records.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 AM
"SZinWestLA"

The two largest lies mouthed in the Inland Empire this month, both came from the same person! Get a load of this!

"If Republicans want the presidency in 2012, they would have to support the DREAM Act; otherwise they could start saying goodbye to power, since they will not have the Latino vote," said Maribel Nunez, organizer for DREAM Act Now Inland Empire. "The DREAM Act is not amnesty ..."
Old 12-08-2010, 04:13 PM

"I will be visiting again Sen. George LeMieux and my congressman, Thomas Rooney, who oppose amnesty," Guerra said.

Technically you don't have a congressman because you're an
ILLEGAL FOREIGN NATIONAL!!!

Idiot.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 AM

Angry Email senators and congressman

ON WWW.CONGRESS.ORG. WE HAVE , AND LISA MURKOWSKI INTENDS TO VOTE YES TO THE DREAM ACT AND TO REPEAL DADT,

WE ALL VOW TO VOTE OUT ALL DEMOCRATS IN 2012 BECAUSE OF THE DREAM ACT, TRYING TO REPEAL DADT, AND ANY IMMIGRATION BILL WE KNOW THESE TRAITORS TO AMERIICA WANT TO PASS. AND REUBLICANS AS WELL, AND INDEPENDENTS

WE ENSURE YOU WE WILL TAKE MORE DEMOCRATS OUT THAN WE DID ON 2 NOVEMBER 2010
SO PLEASE VOTE NO TO DREAM ACT AND DON'T REPEAL DADT, MCCAIN IS CORRECT ALL MILITARY DOESN'T WANT THIS REPEALED

EVERY STATE IS BANDING TOGETHER WE PROMISE TO KEEP A LIST OF ALL VOTERS FOR ALL OR VOTES IN 2012

WE ARE GOING TO BE LIKE SANTA CLAUS, KEEPING A LIST OF THOSE WHO ARE NAUTY TERRORIST AMERICAN OR THOSE VOTING FOR AMERICANS