Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Municipalities

Municipalities Issues and information relating to cities and counties within California that are of interest to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 02-17-2010, 04:57 AM

Default Lausd wants your $

I am sure eveyone heard on the evening news yesterday that the LAUSD is going to ask for a parcel tax to help their budget. They wanted to do it last year but it got too late. They want $100 per parcel I believe.
I know of 3 other cities where this has happened. So. Pasadea passed a measure last year but it was too late to be on the prop tax bill so it had to be mailed directly to the SPSB. The fire dept in a little mountain community needed money for fires but it made the decision and it was on the tax bill. They did not put anything on a ballot. A few days ago, on TV, I see Pasadena wants to put a school measure on the ballot for a parcel tax.

I realized sometime ago that the retired seniors who do not have very much income could lose there paid for homes because of property tax. I would like to know why the schools need so much. The Lottery was touted as the answer to school financing. How about cutting out some of what every parent should be supplying.......
Breakfast

Lunch

School Supplies

Some schools I think have a day care for the little mothers

Cut out the Chacono Studies or any others that are not the three Rs

They are proposing cutting 6 days a year from the school year. Fine with me.

Of course the teachers do not want to lose any salary, who does?

The City Council has to OK some of this but when did they ever do anything for any legal resident?
If you are against this, now is the time to let your voice be heard. They are in fast mode right now. They want it on the June ballot. I am not in the LAUSD area so it does not affect me but it will be coming to each and every home owner soon..[B]

Last edited by Rim05; 02-17-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:15 AM

I know I misspelled that Mexican Studies word but I don't even see it in my dictionary. When I find it I will edit the word.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:45 AM

This story is on the first page of the Late Extra in the LA Times.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:08 PM

Why not do away with school altogether?

Quote:
By Doug McIntyre

02/16/2010

Even the most noodle- armed or klutzy among us have thrown a ball or swung a bat at least once or twice in our lives, so we feel more than qualified to opine on the skills of the Dodgers pitching staff or engage in passionate debates over USC's choice of the ethically- and victory- challenged neophyte Lane Kiffin as the man to restore glory to the Cardinal and Gold.

Similarly, while I'm not a professor emeritus of anything, I did learn my letters even if my lips do move. As a high school graduate I feel qualified to wonder aloud how we've managed to make such a muddled mess of something as basic as readin', writin' n' rithmetic?

Here's a sample of recent LAUSD headlines: "L.A. Supe Has Ties to Publisher with School Contract," "L.A. School Board to weigh $100 Parcel Tax Tuesday," "LAUSD May Cut School Year to Save Cash." The details of each story poke more holes in the hull of the already listing

SS L.A. Unified. It's politicians, teachers and administrators first! There aren't enough lifeboats to save the children.

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain," said our second president, John Adams.

Adams' vision of an educated people going as far as their talents will take them has largely come true in America. Being born into poverty never meant you had to die in poverty. Education has been the path to both individual success and American achievement.

Tragically, our public schools have degenerated into a patchwork of mediocrity and abject failure. It's not that there aren't good schools and teachers out there; the problem is the wild disparity between neighborhoods that demand accountability and huge swaths of the city that are dependent on a system that only pretends to put children's well being ahead of unions, contractors and politicians.

This week it was reported a Republican state senator in Utah, Chris Buttars, actually proposed eliminating the 12th grade as a cost-cutting measure. Not any 12th grade, the entire 12th grade for the entire state of Utah! His justification? Most 12th graders just screw around in their senior year anyway, so Utah could save $60 million. With that kind of logic, why not close all the schools? Imagine the savings.

So LAUSD is now considering cutting school days to save money rather than cutting salaries, perks and pet projects. The only surprise is nobody at the LAUSD has picked up on Buttars' idea of killing senior year. Hey, the junior prom is fun, too. Right?

That thumping sound is Adams spinning in his grave.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
[B]I am sure eveyone heard on the evening news yesterday that the LAUSD is going to ask for a parcel tax to help their budget. They wanted to do it last year but it got too late. They want $100 per parcel I believe...[B]
So what's a parcel to them? One plot has a home w/ 2 kids pay 100.00 and another plot has apartments with 86 kids. Do the homeowners end up footing the bill for the kids that the apartment owner collects all the income off of?