Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > The Media

The Media Topics and information relating to the Media (publications, television, press, first amendment issues, etc) of interest to SOS Associates and Users

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Default Immigrant rights group files complaint against Santa Clarita councilman over 'proud r

Immigrant rights group files complaint against Santa Clarita councilman over 'proud racist' remark
Los Angeles-based immigrant rights advocates announced Tuesday that they have filed formal complaints against a Santa Clarita councilman they say deserves to be censured for violating the city’s code of ethics and conduct by declaring himself “a proud racist.”
The Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition has sent letters to state Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown, Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley and the U.S. Department of Justice, alleging that Councilman Bob Kellar “breached the public’s trust and has acted in an unethical, racist, xenophobic and biased manner by making public comments scapegoating so-called illegal immigrants.”
The group also alleges that Kellar violated at least eight provisions of Santa Clarita’s ethics and conduct policy, which requires that municipal leaders be “independent, impartial and accountable to the people they serve.”
The complaint further targets the remaining members of the Santa Clarita City Council, who the immigrant rights’ advocates charge violated their “fiduciary duties and responsibilities...by not speaking out and condemning” Kellar’s statements.
The legal complaint stems from a Jan. 16 anti-illegal-immigration rally in Santa Clarita, where Kellar, a veteran councilman and two-time mayor, spoke. In his comments, Kellar referred to a statement by former President Theodore Roosevelt that the United States has a place for only one flag and only one language.
Kellar, a former LAPD officer, said those remarks caused some people to accuse him of being racist, to which he replied that if believing in America causes people to think he's a racist, "then I'm a proud racist."
The councilman has said that he stands by his remarks, which he said were personal and have been misconstrued. He insisted that he abhors racism, and he has received zealous support from many Santa Clarita residents.
But the immigrant rights advocates said that Kellar was introduced as a councilman during the anti-illegal immigration rally, and they quoted from a transcript of Kellar’s remarks in which he spoke about conducting business at City Hall the day before the gathering.
They also accuse Kellar of being a member of the Santa Clarita Valley Independent Minutemen group -- a staunch anti-illegal immigration organization whose members sometimes patrol the U.S.-Mexico border in an attempt to prevent illicit crossings. Kellar has denied being a member of the group, which helped organize the rally at which he spoke.
“He should have explained that he was speaking as an individual and not as a public figure,” said John Fernandez, a member of the Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition.
“When a duly elected leader promotes divisive speech, that is essentially hate speech,” said Robert Gittelson, another coalition member.
Supporters of Kellar jeered the immigrant rights advocates, chanted the councilman’s name and at one point physically tried to prevent the advocates from briefing the press in front of Santa Clarita City Hall before a scheduled council meeting Tuesday.
“A man voiced his personal opinion; that is not a violation,” shouted Randy Thompson, a Santa Clarita resident since 1967. “Bob Kellar stated that he is against illegals. He supports American laws.”
“Get of my town right now,” one woman screamed from her car. “Who do you think you are? Do you read the papers? Everyone here is behind Bob Kellar.”
Chris Hall, who has lived in Santa Clarita for four years, said he was saddened by the rowdy spectacle between the rival groups. “This is painful for me to watch,” said Hall, who has worked in the city for 15 years. “It’s getting totally out of control. It affects our community.”
Speaking at the council meeting, Kellar said he had been bombarded with calls and e-mails, and had had several conversations with residents who expressed concerns about the affect illegal immigrants were having on the city. He suggested the council include the issue of illegal immigration on a future agenda. Other council members suggested organizing a study session on the matter.
-- Ann M. Simmons in Santa Clarita
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...st-remark.html

Illegal Immigration Debate Will Continue With Santa Clarita City Council
Written by Jon Dell Wednesday, February 10 2010
If you haven't heard the words "illegal immigration" or "Bob Kellar" in the last two weeks, you haven't been in Santa Clarita.

Our City Councilman first made waves while speaking at an anti illegal immigration rally last month in which he recalled reciting a quote from Teddy Roosevelt several years ago that described uniting under one flag. Kellar said he then had someone accuse him of sounding like a racist. His reply was: "That's good. If that's what you think I am because I happen to believe in America, I'm a proud racist, you're darn right I am," (full story).

His comments quickly spread across Santa Clarita and Los Angeles media outlets and the next City Council meeting was met by television crews, Kellar opponents, and Kellar supporters. The Council agreed that Kellar had perhaps chosen his words poorly; however they stated that they knew he was not, in fact, a racist (full story). They did not take any action against him, and Kellar refused to abandon the point of his comments; that illegal immigration is causing severe strain on our state and local governments and it should be stopped.

Since then, immigrant rights organizations have put Kellar in their sights, and anti illegal immigration activists have touted him as a hero.

Somewhere along the line, however, a great deal of conversation about illegal immigration has taken center stage in our town. Residents and out of the area commentators have used the public participation time at two consecutive Council meetings to address the issue, and people on both sides have squared off in demonstrations outside of City Hall.

After Tuesday's City Council meeting, Kellar requested that the issue of illegal immigration be discussed openly in Council chambers as an item on the agenda. He claimed that of all of the attention he's received over the last few weeks, an overwhelming majority has been in support of taking action to stop the flow of illegal immigrants.

The rest of the City Council expressed a desire to host the issue during a City Council study session, rather than a Council meeting. They directed City staff to research the issue, including jurisdiction rules and options for enforcement of existing laws at a local level.

After City staff coordinates that information, the City plans to schedule the study session at City Hall. The public will be invited to discuss the matter, and public speakers will be allotted the standard three minutes to share their thoughts and concerns.

When the date is scheduled, KHTS AM-1220 will post that information in a story.
http://hometownstation.com/index.php...news&Itemid=97
Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Complaint accuses Santa Clarita official of racism
The Associated Press
Posted: 02/10/2010 06:35:18 AM PST
Updated: 02/10/2010 06:35:18 AM PST

SANTA CLARITA, Calif.—An activist group has filed complaints with local, state and federal prosecutors against a Santa Clarita city councilman who described himself as a "proud racist."
The Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition says Bob Kellar violated Santa Clarita's ethics policy and acted in a racist manner by making comments condemning illegal immigrants.
The group announced Tuesday that it's sent formal complaints to the U.S. Department of Justice, the state attorney general and the Los Angeles County district attorney.
At a rally in the Los Angeles suburb last month, Kellar said that if his support for an America with one flag and one language—English—leads some to call him racist, then he's a proud racist.
Kellar says the remarks were taken out of context and he abhors racism.
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_14372614

Formal Complaints Filed Against 'Proud racist' Councilman
An immigrant rights' group has filed formal complaints against Santa Clarita Councilman Bob Kellar for remarks he made last month during an anti-illegal immigration rally, according to LA Now.
The LA-based Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition sent letters to state Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown, Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley and the U.S. Department of Justice, alleging Kellar "breached the public’s trust and has acted in an unethical, racist, xenophobic and biased manner by making public comments scapegoating so-called illegal immigrants.”
The group believes Kellar has violated Santa Clarita's code of ethics by including in his public remarks that he is a "proud racist" in the context of describing his pro-American views ("If that's what you think I am because I happen to believe in America. I'm a proud racist. You're darn right I am," he told a crowd on Jan. 16). Further, the group alleges he has gone against his city's "ethics and conduct policy, which requires that municipal leaders be 'independent, impartial and accountable to the people they serve.'"
Kellar claims his words were taken out of context, and has since been bombarded with accusatory calls, letters, and emails.
Kellar's remarks have created a massive divide in Santa Clarita, where residents are defending their representative's choice to express his personal views, and those, like members of groups like the Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition, who feel Kellar was irresponsible in making such a statement in his capacity as a civic leader.
http://laist.com/2010/02/10/formal_c...gainst_pro.php

Complaint Filed Over Councilman's "Proud Racist" Comment
A shouting rematch erupts outside City Hall in what has become a familiar sight
Santa Clarita's self-described "proud racist" council member says he did nothing wrong. Some community activists disagree, and they made their case Tuesday night with a formal complaint.
During Tuesday's council meeting, members of the Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition handed Councilman Bob Kellar and his colleagues the complaint. According to The Signal, the complaint detailed which parts of the city's ethics code the group's members think Keller violated.
"You apologize when you've done something wrong," Kellar said before the meeting.
Before the meeting, the coalition conducted a news conference outside City Hall that was attended by Kellar's supporters. You see where this is going.
The two groups confronted one another shouted back and forth. A woman driving a white car stopped in front of City Hall and yelled at coalition members: "Get the freak out of my town! ... What's wrong with you people?"
A sheriff's deputy walked over to tell her to keep driving.
While the coalition was holding its conference, Randy Thompson, 47, of Saugus yelled in coalition members' faces.
"I don't want to hear what you have to say because you're here supporting illegal immigration," Thompson barked. "Not one of you lives in Santa Clarita."
Some coalition members shouted back. During the screaming match, Thompson and others tried to drown them out by loudly chanting Bob Kellar's name.
The coalition also announced Tuesday that it sent formal complaints to the U.S. Department of Justice, the state attorney general and the Los Angeles County district attorney.
The uproar and subsequent shouting matches began after a rally last month in Santa Clarita. Kellar said that if his support for an America with one flag and one language -- English -- leads some to call him racist, then he's a proud racist.
Kellar said the comments have been taken out of context.
The coalition's complaint comes after a Jan. 26 council meeting at which the city attorney and council members said Kellar did not violate the ethics code. The Signal reported that a majority of people who spoke at that meeting supported Kellar.

———
Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM

Signal Newspaper: Comment Section

JuliaSimmons:
February 10, 2010 - 06:29 PM

There is an enormous difference between opposing illegal immigration, and illegal bashing.

The people confusing the issue are the illegal bashers, the xenophobic, right-wing, Minutemen, Militia, Tea Party and Save Our State, because they are racist hate groups, focused on illegal bashing.

Do they really think bringing back Jim Crow laws is going to solve anything?

Racism is too complex an issue to be dismissed with simple semantics, personal attacks or straw men.

Racism is also a social construct, with social identity instead of, or in addition to, race or ethnicity. It is about social dominance.

Much of racism is based on fear and anger, fear of change, being “invaded” by “the other” that is unfamiliar, or losing majority status, and anger at not being able to keep things they way they have always been, when they were the dominant group.

I am afraid something terrible is going to happen as a result of all the radical right-wingers bashing illegals.

Especially when an elected representative of the city officially aligns himself with hate groups, on behalf of the City of Santa Clarita and its citizens.

Thanks, Bob.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Glory View Post
Signal Newspaper: Comment Section

JuliaSimmons:
February 10, 2010 - 06:29 PM

There is an enormous difference between opposing illegal immigration, and illegal bashing.

The people confusing the issue are the illegal bashers, the xenophobic, right-wing, Minutemen, Militia, Tea Party and Save Our State, because they are racist hate groups, focused on illegal bashing.

Do they really think bringing back Jim Crow laws is going to solve anything?

Racism is too complex an issue to be dismissed with simple semantics, personal attacks or straw men.

Racism is also a social construct, with social identity instead of, or in addition to, race or ethnicity. It is about social dominance.

Much of racism is based on fear and anger, fear of change, being “invaded” by “the other” that is unfamiliar, or losing majority status, and anger at not being able to keep things they way they have always been, when they were the dominant group.

I am afraid something terrible is going to happen as a result of all the radical right-wingers bashing illegals.

Especially when an elected representative of the city officially aligns himself with hate groups, on behalf of the City of Santa Clarita and its citizens.

Thanks, Bob.
Whoever this "Julia Simmons" is : it's not the 1950's anymore like racist "Latino advocates" keep insinuating.

You can only get so many miles out of a vehicle, then it's sold for scrap.

The late 70's "racist gabacho" boogieman spiel with retro tail fins is waiting for a tow to the junkyard.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 02-10-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
Whoever this "Julia Simmons" is : it's not the 1950's anymore like racist "Latino advocates" keep insinuating.

You can only get so many miles out of a vehicle, then it's sold for scrap.

The late 70's "racist gabacho" boogieman spiel with retro tail fins is waiting for a tow to the junkyard.
I'm picturing that in my mind and I start laughing.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 AM

McFarland spouting nonsense

By Brian Baker
Saugus
Posted: Feb. 9, 2010 6:08 p.m.
POSTED Feb. 10, 2010 4:55 a.m.

McFarland’s spouting nonsense (“Bob Kellar should step down now,” Feb. 2), as is usual from liberals.

The plain and simple fact of the matter is that most of the illegal immigrants in this country came over our southern border, so the inevitable first things out of the mouths of liberals who support amnesty are baseless and stupid allegations of racism against anyone who opposes amnesty.

Kellar simply responded by in essence saying: “You think I’m a racist? Fine. That’s your problem, not mine.”

I’ve heard the same accusations aimed at me and that’s my inevitable and essentially rote response. If someone wants to think I’m a “racist,” I couldn’t care less.

If that’s the level at which they want to address the issue, then as far as I’m concerned they can go and play in the corner by themselves, because I won’t even bother gracing the silly accusation with an answer.

Supporters of amnesty try to do this all the time, in an effort to divert the discussion into irrelevancies and non sequiturs. Frankly, it’s lost its oomph.

More importantly, it doesn’t matter whether or not those who oppose amnesty do so out of racism or not, and I have no doubt that in a country this large there surely are some people who oppose it out of racial animus.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:43 AM

Signal Comment Section:

Brian_Baker:
February 10, 2010 - 09:57 AM

Hmmmm....

I didn't use the words "illegal immigrants" when I wrote this.

I called it like it is: "Illegal ALIENS".

A bit of editorializing there, by the Signal.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 AM

Siganl Comment Section:

JohnnyCash:
February 10, 2010 - 12:28 PM

Are you serious, Brian?

You took the time and energy to write a LTE, then staked your reputation by including your name with it, and The Signal changes your words without notation?
That's scary, and The Signal should be ashamed.

Brian_Baker:
February 10, 2010 - 12:42 PM

What can I say, Johnny?

I guess they were "editing" it.

I actually find it kind of ironic, because the entire underlying issue is Political Correctness... and they succumbed to it!

I guess they "succumbed" me to it, too!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:48 AM

Signal Comment Section:

ryantheray:
February 10, 2010 - 02:45 PM

There will be another rally in Santa Clarita hosted by www.saveourstate.info on Feb 27th held between 11am and 1pm. The location will be Magic Mountain Pkwy and Valencia Blvd. The topic of illegal immigration will be discussed.

We need to talk about what is happening to our towns and neighborhoods as a result of illegal immigration and not be told to shut up, called racist or told it's hate speech.

Enough is enough. Let's start addressing the issue with honesty and get rid of the political correctness gag.

We won't be threatened anymore, and we won't be told to shut up.

Brian_Baker:
February 10, 2010 - 05:49 PM

Brad, Ryan, good stuff!

Ryan, thanks for that heads up on the gathering. I, for one, am going to try my best to be there.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 AM

Kellar is a proud American

Pat Connelly, Sergeant, LAPD (Retired)
Valencia

Posted: Feb. 9, 2010 6:11 p.m.
POSTED Feb. 10, 2010 4:55 a.m.

Bob Kellar is a proud American and proud to serve his country and community under the umbrella of our red, white and blue American flag. He has proved this many times over during his lifetime.

Councilman Kellar served honorably in the United States Army in Vietnam while “in country” carrying an M-16 rifle in harm’s way.

He repeated his patriotic duty by joining the Los Angeles Police Department, completing 30 years of service on the streets of Los Angeles.

I have known Sgt. Kellar for the past 40 years and while working with him many years on the LAPD I never ever observed him acting in racist communication with any minority contacts, on or off the job.

He was always decent, kind and respectful.