Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Communities and Quality of Life > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment Crimes affecting our state and communities. Manhunts, wanted posters, Arrests, and sentences.

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 05-24-2014, 10:26 PM
SOS Associate

Default UCSB Tragedy Spurs Immediate Blame On NRA

The bodies of the victims of Elliot Rodger's murderous rampage were barely cold when one of the victim's relatives cast immediate blame on the NRA and the failure of politicians to restrict guns. Make no mistake about this event; it was a senseless, unconscionable, and very unfair act by an extremely twisted, mentally tortured individual. The NRA was not involved. Politicians, of course, are always culpable. But as is becoming quite routine after any shooting where a body count reaches a dozen or more, and the victims are innocents, the anti-gun lobby is quick to seize on it for their own use.
This time though, the victims weren't all shot. 3 were stabbed. What's more, other victims were killed or injured by the perpetrator's car. In any case, I and my colleagues in the 2nd Amendment support arena will find ourselves fighting to keep our rights even more strenuously for the next several months. It's difficult to debate evenly while grieving relatives are so close, but the bill of rights has evolved from even greater sacrifices than those made unwillingly this week. It has to be defended and secured. We have a duty to preserve it as a fundamental right not to be infringed. We'll have to do it compassionately though. We cannot belittle the lives of the victims, nor antagonize their families. We'll also need to refrain from the use of repetitive cliches, and remind ourselves that this event was unique, as were the victims.

I know it's hard to remain vigilant and firm while eulogies of innocent youth are publicized, and tears are flowing from fathers, mother's and friends faces. But there's a greater danger we face by surrendering or compromising our 2nd amendment rights. I urge everyone to stay the course, argue carefully, and respect the memories of the dead, for they were our brethren also.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:35 PM

I agree.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:10 AM

The bodies of the victims of Elliot Rodger's murderous rampage were barely cold when one of the victim's relatives cast immediate blame on the NRA and the failure of politicians to restrict guns. Make no mistake about this event; it was a senseless, unconscionable, and very unfair act by an extremely twisted, mentally tortured individual. The NRA was not involved. Politicians, of course, are always culpable. But as is becoming quite routine after any shooting where a body count reaches a dozen or more, and the victims are innocents, the anti-gun lobby is quick to seize on it for their own use.

The NRA is to blame, a lot. The politicians are also. The problem I see is, why do people need so many guns and especially the assault type?
Don't forget how many people use drugs today. Don't forget the uncivil attitude of so many. Gun rights are good for what they were intended but today, do I need 5 plus guns?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
The NRA is to blame, a lot. The politicians are also. The problem I see is, why do people need so many guns and especially the assault type?

Don't forget how many people use drugs today. Don't forget the uncivil attitude of so many. Gun rights are good for what they were intended but today, do I need 5 plus guns?
Just because a person may be a car collector doesn't make him responsible for someone plowing into a crowd a couple blocks over from his house. By further analogy, should factory performance street cars be banned because someone may be enticed to speed in such a vehicle? Manufacturer advertizements touting various types of performance are ubiquitous, and pandering to potential customer ego sells cars.

Many more people are killed in car crashes than are killed in airplane accidents, but thousands of small scale car tragedies don't get the press that a single airliner crash does. Still, no one is endorsing that either airline or vehicular travel be eliminated.

There wouldn't be all those drug killings if it weren't for the money involved. Same with robberies and burglaries. One famous bandit was asked why he robbed banks. He famously replied "That's where the money is" - the motive for robbery is to gain money. There may be many rationalizations for a cashless, ATM society, but I haven't heard that money should be eliminated because it causes robbery and violence.

Heart disease is the number one killer, followed by other diseases or medical conditions. Farther down the list are accidents and more people commit suicide than are murdered - with suicide way trailing accidents as a cause of death. Just where is the media concerning suicide? Is there little sensationilization to be garnered on tragic personal decisions concerning life and death carried out in private? Should we all just stay home every day in order in a vain attempt to prevent accidents?

I believe more car accidents are caused by texting than inebriation http://safety.trw.com/texting-while-...n-deaths/0710/, but where is the focus on public safety, and which gets the far more severe penalty?

So, I believe gun control advocates are either well meaning and uninformed (even brainwashed) or they are willful control freaks who would disarm the public in order to tamp down on potential last resort opposition to a coercive government.

The true solution will be found in exploring what relatively recent changes in society have given some persons permission to copycat mass murder of complete strangers in spectacular fashion. We have always had extremist nuts, misfits and the mentally ill among us, but these things didn't or very rarely happened in the days when you could just go down to Sears, plunk down some cash, and walk away with an unregistered firearm as well as a box of ammo - no background checks necessary.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 05-26-2014 at 01:44 PM.