Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Communities and Quality of Life > Communities in Crisis

Communities in Crisis California cities, towns, and counties suffering under corruption, crime, foreign influence or economic loss

Immigration Pushed To The Forefront Again.... Thanks! To Everyone Who Has Propelled This Issue To Its' Rightful Position. Years Of Hard Work Are Paying Off.....Keep Up The Good Work!......
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 AM
ilbegone's Avatar
ilbegone ilbegone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,064
Default Welfare stats

Some time ago LA county supervisor Michael Antonovich got loud about how the social services burden for LA County was sinking the ship. I looked up the county's fiscal pie chart (maybe a year ago) and found that the social services slice was indeed inordinately large.

However, as a part of my curiosity about how brown supremacists have been tossing out half truth propaganda about previous waves of immigrants (nativism!!!, xenophobia!!!! and anglosajon prejudice!!!!!!!!!!), I have been looking at the concept of political machines (such as Tammany Hall and others, all with apparent Democrat connections) and the trading of social services and government jobs for votes over the last couple of days and got to poking around in welfare issues as a part of it.

Something astounding to me:

We have all heard that California, with 12% of the US population, has 33% of the national welfare burden. However, I further discovered today that LA county, with 26% of the California population, has 39% of California welfare cases.

Wow.

For those who are preoccupied with race with whatever axe there is to grind, I haven't seen California figures, but nationally it seems to me that the mix is something approximately (rounded up and down a couple of points for convenience) 33% each white, black, and Hispanic. No word as to illegality of presence or such yet, and that figure might be hidden or skewed either way depending on agenda.
__________________
Freibier gab's gestern

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Jeanfromfillmore's Avatar
Jeanfromfillmore Jeanfromfillmore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,287
Default

There was an article on FoxNews website that talks about the free federally funded lunches being given out during the summer by various non-profits that any kid under 18, no matter what their family income level, can receive.

Tonight I attended a school board meeting in which the board was informed that all the students who attend schools in our school district will be receiving free breakfast and lunch, no matter what their family income. It's being done by what is called Provision 2. When a school district has an enrollment of 75% students who are below the poverty level , they can apply for this program and as a result, for 4 years at least, often longer, they give all the students two free meals each school day. The schools don't have to collect and process any applications, keep track of meal application or meal categories, or conduct verification for at least three out of four years at most. Yes you read that right!!! There is very little oversight.

Mind you, most of these families receive food stamps, WIC, and some receive cash aid!!!!

This program has been going on for many years, since the 80's. But very few take notice because they say it's for the "kids". Well, those kids are now so fat and have such a feeling of entitlement that really makes this whole concept a real joke. Are these kids or their parents to lazy to slap to pieces of bread together and make a PB&J? Or put a bowl of cereal and milk in front of them in the morning? My mother sure did, and if I was to lazy to make my lunch, well I went hungry, but whose fault was that? Where's the responsibility on the part of the parents and students? They should not be our responsibility or a double payment of our taxes.

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 08-08-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM
ilbegone's Avatar
ilbegone ilbegone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
There was an article on FoxNews website that talks about the free federally funded lunches being given out during the summer by various non-profits that any kid under 18, no matter what their family income level, can receive.

Tonight I attended a school board meeting in which the board was informed that all the students who attend schools in our school district will be receiving free breakfast and lunch, no matter what their family income. It's being done by what is called Provision 2. When a school district has an enrollment of 75% students who are below the poverty level , they can apply for this program and as a result, for 4 years at least, often longer, they give all the students two free meals each school day. The schools don't have to collect and process any applications, keep track of meal application or meal categories, or conduct verification for at least three out of four years at most. Yes you read that right!!! There is very little oversight.

Mind you, most of these families receive food stamps, WIC, and some receive cash aid!!!!

This program has been going on for many years, since the 80's. But very few take notice because they say it's for the "kids". Well, those kids are now so fat and have such a feeling of entitlement that really makes this whole concept a real joke. Are these kids or their parents to lazy to slap to pieces of bread together and make a PB&J? Or put a bowl of cereal and milk in front of them in the morning? My mother sure did, and if I was to lazy to make my lunch, well I went hungry, but whose fault was that? Where's the responsibility on the part of the parents and students? They should not be our responsibility or a double payment of our taxes.
Jean,

The program was signed into law in June 1946 by Harry S. Truman and was originated by Congressman Richard B. Russell. The program used to have accountability, but I believe that's been removed and replace with a 4 year accounting scheme which has more holes than swiss cheese and greatly susceptible to fraud https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...HMyMjOQ3lT6qHg. 74 pages.

The rational is that it reduces application burdens and simplifies meal counting and claiming procedures http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governan..._FactSheet.htm

While a long, unintelligible drone with all the lawyerese, amendments, and repeals http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/42C13.txt, the original intent of the National School Lunch Act seems to have been rooted in a desire to prop up farm commodity prices by purchasing and using farm surplus food products rather than paying not to grow.

I haven't seen that premise in the background discussion of the bill (because I haven't found it yet) or any direct quote from anyone originally involved, but it is alluded to around the internet and I did find a statement (by inclusion) in a google books rendition of American Farm Policy 1948 - 1973 by Willard W. Chochrane and Mary E. Ryan http://In which the bill was somethi...201946&f=false (scroll up to chapter heading then read through)

I thought about getting it, but the book retails for $60.00.

Wading through the incomprehensible fog of the interminable legal text, I perceive the bill has been amended constantly from the mid 1950's to the present, with revisions and amendments becoming an incremental flurry to blizzard sometime from the 1980's. I'd have to print it out and study it to find if the original text exists.

I don't think it's the same bill at all that it was in 1946, and I believe that in some cases adults qualify for free meals on the program without being associated with any form of education being performed.

Full name of the act:

Quote:
79 P.L. 396; 79 Cong. Ch. 281; 60 Stat. 230, H.R. 3370, PUBLIC LAW, NATIONAL SCHOOL LUNCH ACT, JUNE 4, 1946, UNITED STATES STATUTES AT LARGE 79TH CONGRESS - 2ND SESSION
__________________
Freibier gab's gestern

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.


Last edited by ilbegone; 08-08-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM
ilbegone's Avatar
ilbegone ilbegone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,064
Default

Part the above post was scrambled and editing wasn't working.

The 1946 National lunch program came from complying with the 1941 Steagle Amendment of a 1938 farm bill to prop up Farm Commodity Prices. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...gm6YFj3yuCqdFg

The farm policy book (American Farm Policy 1948 - 1973) http://books.google.com/books?id=kIN...201946&f=false

Scroll up to the chapter heading, then read down.
__________________
Freibier gab's gestern

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.


Last edited by ilbegone; 08-08-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Jeanfromfillmore's Avatar
Jeanfromfillmore Jeanfromfillmore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,287
Default

I am aware of where it all started and where it is today. Provision 1,2,3 was added in 1980. But the point I was making is that those that receive foodstamps are receiving payment for food to provide three meals per day to each kid at home. That's 21 meals per week. But the schools are also providing 10 of those meals per week, just about half. Yet, that is not counted as income or credited against the amount of food stamps received. So basically these families are double dipping. They get half of their kids food needs met and still receive the food stamps as though they were providing 100% of their meals. And to add insult to injury, every kid at all the school gets those 10 free meals each week, no matter how wealthy their family may be. Yes, our schools are nothing by socialist establishments all on the tax dollar.

This is going on throughout the country and costing BILLIONS!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2012, 05:58 PM
ilbegone's Avatar
ilbegone ilbegone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
I am aware of where it all started and where it is today. Provision 1,2,3 was added in 1980. But the point I was making is that those that receive foodstamps are receiving payment for food to provide three meals per day to each kid at home. That's 21 meals per week. But the schools are also providing 10 of those meals per week, just about half. Yet, that is not counted as income or credited against the amount of food stamps received. So basically these families are double dipping. They get half of their kids food needs met and still receive the food stamps as though they were providing 100% of their meals. And to add insult to injury, every kid at all the school gets those 10 free meals each week, no matter how wealthy their family may be. Yes, our schools are nothing by socialist establishments all on the tax dollar.

This is going on throughout the country and costing BILLIONS!!!!!
You're right, and I agree 100% with you.

But I'll tell you what the argument is going to be from the other side, and sadly it has some validity due to the culture change starting with the kids born in the late 70's - not the least narcissism delivered to schoolkids with the "you're so special" and everyone gets a trophy routine, then they grow up and become parents who essentially ignore the kids for a decade. That is, until the kids become unmanageable and it's too late. Drugs and alcohol figure in too.

Lots of kids don't have breakfast regardless of how monied or not the parents are, and that brown bag lunch might only have a bag of chips.

I'll tell you right now about how screwed up our society has gotten with all those young men who live with a woman who works and provides for them while they hang out smoking pot and playing video games all day. The kids come in a distant third.

What's going to change it all? Will the system have to be overloaded until it implodes, or is there a viable way to fix it before that happens? The politicians aren't going to fix it.
__________________
Freibier gab's gestern

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Jeanfromfillmore's Avatar
Jeanfromfillmore Jeanfromfillmore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
You're right, and I agree 100% with you.

But I'll tell you what the argument is going to be from the other side, and sadly it has some validity due to the culture change starting with the kids born in the late 70's - not the least narcissism delivered to schoolkids with the "you're so special" and everyone gets a trophy routine, then they grow up and become parents who essentially ignore the kids for a decade. That is, until the kids become unmanageable and it's too late. Drugs and alcohol figure in too.

Lots of kids don't have breakfast regardless of how monied or not the parents are, and that brown bag lunch might only have a bag of chips.

I'll tell you right now about how screwed up our society has gotten with all those young men who live with a woman who works and provides for them while they hang out smoking pot and playing video games all day. The kids come in a distant third.

What's going to change it all? Will the system have to be overloaded until it implodes, or is there a viable way to fix it before that happens? The politicians aren't going to fix it.
Yes, you're correct. There were plenty of times that I woke up late and didn't have time for breakfast, or didn't make my lunch or forgot it. But, that was my responsibility and I was the one who was at fault. I didn't expect someone else to make up for my mistakes. And what I learned by going hungry was that it was not a pleasent feeling and if I didn't want to be hungry in the future, then I'd better pay attention in school so that I'd have the skills to get a job and buy the food I needed.

The thought that a kid should never go hungry is BS. If humans never felt what it was like to be hungry they'd have little encentive to provide for themselves and that lesson needs to be learned at a young age.

I'm just glad that I didn't grow up with these entitlement babies. They're in for a huge shock when they realize the pantry is empty.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright SaveOurState 2009 - 2016 All Rights Reserved